Author Topic: The Path to Substance Source  (Read 7758 times)

thank you for your replay. I will consider that.

Great idea! Thanks. :)  I will do that.

Hi - still confused by this thread and dont see an FAQ

So, I just purchased the Substance Pack Indie
Indie licenses for Substance Painter 2.x, Substance Designer 5.x and Substance B2M 3.x   

When I go to Source I have  0 available downloads - Is that correct ? I do not recieve any credits at all from the software purchase ?

Are there any alternatives to buy 10 pack or 50 pack  or 100 pack of assets at all ? or, is the only way I can get assets is to subscribe to live ?

Thanks

For now, the only way is through Live. You may be able to purchase stand-alone credit packages in the future but no promises.

pws

For now, the only way is through Live. You may be able to purchase stand-alone credit packages in the future but no promises.

So why not just add a <Substance Source Live Monthly Membership> option on the Substance Live page?

Cheers,

Peter

I purchased all 3 substance packages directly from your website but, never got access to substance source, it still shows 0 downloads.

So from my understanding Users who purchase the packages directly in full do not get access to substance source and users who do not pay in full, but on a monthly fee plan, do get access.
Doesn't this policy seems kind of strange, I'd rather not pay a monthly fee but if I had known I would not be given access to substance source I would have just set up the monthly payments. Getting less for the same price is super lame. :(
Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 09:03:13 pm

So from my understanding Users who purchase the packages directly in full do not get access to substance source and users who do not pay in full, but on a monthly fee plan, do get access.
Doesn't this policy seems kind of strange, I'd rather not pay a monthly fee but if I had known I would not be given access to substance source I would have just set up the monthly payments. Getting less for the same price is super lame. :(

Unfortunately, you got that right!
Welcome to the club!

My guess is that what seems to be,at a first glance, "a strange policy" could be in fact, a strategic thinking.
Let's do a quick comparison between Substance Indie Pack and Substance Live.First, we have the upfront buyers
with 300 USD out of their pockets.They are supposed to be big boys, who can afford such an expense
for,lets face it, a great pack of software.The developer is more or less happy with the number
of sales,nothing wrong here.

On the other side,we have a great number of those who can't afford the price,casual users and so on.
Getting many bits from as many people as possible seems to be the real deal here.And for this, they have Substance Live.
For 16 months of payments they'll get both SD and SP licensed.That's roughly what SIP buyers have paid.Upfront.
Make no mistake, in order to keep them paying, Allegorhitmic will bring more and more on their table.
From a commercial license after the first 20 bucks to 30 high quality substances a month aka Substance Source.
Wait, there is more!... soon, if not already, SL users will be able to download .sbs files.
Let's say...for learning purposes.

And ,as it happened,if some SIP buyer looks troubled by his missing downloads, well....he has to pay 20 bucks.
Really? Please Allegorithmic, please tell us this is not some lack of fairness.Please tell us we didn't support
you enough, spending the money you asked for.I know,friendship,fairness and business rarely goes together.

Since november, many of us asked for some kind of access to Substance Source.Not a decent answer so far.
Don't get me wrong, I love both SD and SP, great software at a right price.Please, just say that Substance
Live is the way to go.

Since november, many of us asked for some kind of access to Substance Source.Not a decent answer so far.
Don't get me wrong, I love both SD and SP, great software at a right price.Please, just say that Substance
Live is the way to go.

Hi,

I'm sorry if that was not clear enough, but we already said it in many ways: Substance Live is the only way to access Substance Source for Indie.
That being said, we are working on providing some smooth on-boarding to Substance Live for existing users. More news very soon :)

Cheers,
Director of Product Management & COO

I'm sorry if that was not clear enough, but we already said it in many ways: Substance Live is the only way to access Substance Source for Indie.

Well that's incredibly frustrating.

I use Substance Painter daily and have absolutely no use for designer or b2m. Already used my 60 source credits but would happily pay for more. Guess I'll just buy more megascans credits.

So is this still a thing?

"If you bought your licenses after February this year, you will get 180 free Source downloads in your account shortly (equivalent of 6 months of Live Source content). We are looking into giving some credit to people who bought earlier too."

Just bought the entire suite for a VR Project and some free substances would be an absolute godsend!

Thanks,

DP (with fingers crossed).

No, this was a limited time offer at the release of Substance Source. The content is accessible only through the Substance monthly sub at this point.

Fair enough!   :)

Just to add to this - I bought the indie Substance Pack today because it was on offer and looked like a good deal. I didn't spend a long time looking into the different purchase options, and wasn't aware of Substance Source when buying - but it looks like a very useful resource. Wondering what the logic behind making it unavailable to people who buy the software outright is? If this is to be a continuing policy perhaps worth flashing up a warning saying 'note that buying via subscription is the only way to access the Substance Source material library'.

I have subscribed to Megascans and while I can see that for a supplier it's very nice to have a regular subscription income, for the user an arbitrary monthly drip of points into an account is a very frustrating way to buy.