Author Topic: Selves  (Read 6338 times)

Hi, Im a French 2d / 3d artist and I'm glad to join this contest. I can't wait to see all the amazing work you guys are gonna do and in the meantime, Id like to introduce my own project.

Selves

At a time when the tension between the expansion of cities and the decline of nature had reached a point of no return, ancient Gallic god, Selves, guardian of lakes and forests, was sent to earth to restore the balance.
While his only purpose was to preserve what was left of our world at risk, thereby ensuring our own survival, our leaders and warlords saw him as a threat to mankind.
They then used lethal force to take him down, triggering Beleu's anger, Gallic god of sun and earth, which set Selves free from the chains of justice so that he could unleash his wrath on men.

A simple but effective story and gods from a lesser known but equally rich Mythology (many know about Druids but few know about their gods or rituals).
As French, it seemed obvious to me to bring a bit of my country's past to the background  :)

Next step with the artwork, stay tuned (by the way, sorry for my english, doing my best but getting old comes with memory flaws ^^).
Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 05:48:49 am
Here's a link to the movie I'm currently working on.
You're welcome to like, participate, state your mind about the project, etc....

Here we go with this first colored quick sketch...added some buildings to get a sense of scale. Design might evolve somehow on the run.

More artworks if I have time enough, otherwise will get straight into modeling phase.

Later folks ;)

Very nice, slyston! I love a good mech, but the originality of your piece is wonderful. Without a doubt, my favorite titan thus far. Keep it up :)

Thank you very much, this is very encouraging and motivating. I appreciate ;)
I hope you also will enjoy 3D Version.

Here is a screen of the early sculpt in zbrush. Flower head is a simple basemesh from 3dsmax which only purpose is to help me keep the proportions of the artwork. Don't know yet if I'll sculpt over it or deal with it entirely within max.
The roots of the arms are thicker than the drawing to reduce their number and thus reduce the polycount.

I do not know if I'll give him a (trans)pose or make a cat rig, depending on how much time I will have available.

I wish though to make a second artwork showing the final composition. As it's time consuming, I can't say it'll happen  :-\

Next sculpt step soon, thanks again, see ya.
Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 06:27:21 am

I loved your concept, keep up the good work!

Looks great!  I actually thought at first of doing some kind of plant/flower based lifeform (I think substances will work well there), but I knew I could not pull it off as I'm not an artist.  Yours looks awesome, good luck!

I'm with you on the poly count.

•Titan: 100 000 tris
•Pedestal (optional): 10 000 tris

I'll be using ZBrush and in Maya LT checking the box in the main menu[Display/Heads Up Display/Poly Count] gives me the Verts, Edges, Polygons, Tris, and UV's.

I can only guess as my French is really bad, Mal?
So, C’est La Vie, C’est La Guerre, life and war?
Best of luck, take care.

Man i really love your design it remember me of hell boy 2 when they fight the spirit of the forest .

Good luck and good job

Cool work so far man! Keep it up, I look forward to seeing this one through! 8)

Thank you all, will do my best to match your expectations ;)

Sculpt is almost done...body part at least. I still haven't made my mind yet regarding the head.
I guess I'll make a cat rig eventhough it'll be a few more days of work and an adapted topology to finaly have it fully animatable. Who knows, it might be of some use later.

No more talking, here's the update...

Final sculpt in a few days (busy busy...). See ya all.

PS : I checked on other topics and saw many cool things. Be sure I'll go post some coms as soon as I have time and clever stuff to say ^^

I decided to sculpt the head, rescaled some parts, decided to undo the body sloppy work and did some other tweaks here and there...I plan on having the high res and unwraped retopo first week of June.

Hope you'll like it so far, see ya ;)

Oh ! An other French ! Hi here !

It's one of my favorite concept !

Thanks ;)

Sculpt done, at last...I think this is quite close to the initial concept art and I'm pretty happy with it. Next step, one of my favourite, will be retopo in 3D Coat.

Hope you enjoy and have fun with your own model ;)...see you.

Nice work! Though, I feel like this sculpt can be pushed a bit more, your concept, while excellent, is always a launching point. How can you push it even further?

Also, I feel like those tendril antennae things could use a bit more weight towards the ends. The tangents on the characters head are all pointing that direction and my eye ends up resting there. Also, consider how much color information those tendrils will convey.

I was wondering what was going on with the spine area. I feel that is a missed opportunity for some alternate design decisions. Imagine the few remaining survivors of a recently routed civilization watching this titan lumber away, what are they going to see?

Sorry for the lengthy post, I believe this is strong work, but with a deadline that's so far away (July 18th) more time can be spent pushing your design to the utmost extreme. Just my two cents.

Keep kickin a$%!
~N

Thanks a lot for your time ;)

Although the deadline is that far, I won't have much time to spend on the challenge, unfortunatly. I currently work on a movie and I have to deal with the few days off I have to get thru this.
I have then to make tough and fast choices, first one beeing to hold on my concept, eventhough I might improvise a bit during modeling stage.
As I'm new to substance painter and designer, I still have to learn how to use 'em in a very short amount of time. I can't waste it questioning my previous decisions if I intend to succeed finishing the whole scene.
Tendrils will be tweaked within max and yes, they are to be thicker at the end ;)
His back is kinda improvised...broken trunks along his spine (actually, it makes sense if you think of this titan before his awakening, resting beneath the surface, parts of his body growing like any vegetation).
Substance painter will help with bump brush to enhance the merging quality of those trunks in his back.

Obviously, lots of details / shapes will heavily rely on textures.

Thanks for your feedback, ++