Author Topic: basic questions about exporting from modo to susbtance painter.  (Read 466 times)

Hey guys, I am learning substance painter now and I am trying to export an object from modo to bring to SP.

1- Doesnt substance painter support SubD`s ???

2- what is the fastest way to get a model in modo to painter? i would love not to use plugins...
i don't work in games, i just need to transfer the model and since subd is not going through what is the best way to have it looking good in substance?

I have tried exporting to fbx in modo 10 I set up my export output to take smoothing groups, i set a vertex normal map to the object and then the result is always a facet object in painter.

http://tinypic.com/r/24q7m6d/9

BIG
thanks !!
v

Hopefully I can help here as I've invested a lot of serious time into experimenting with Modo> Substance workflows recently.

Substance doesn't currently support SubD's (although you have to use an awful lot of edge loops to ensure that you don't get stretching in your textures when using standard SubD's in Modo anyway, so use Psubs [Shift+Tab] where possible instead) at the moment. Therefore, you have to use the 'Freeze' command in Modo prior to exporting the mesh. The way I go about it is as follows.

A) When you are 100% satisfied with your model / scene, then create a copy of your mesh before your freeze so you can always return to it to make changes in the future if need be.

B) Freeze your mesh and Unwrap / UV I use UDIM's so I can give each part of the mesh the largest texturing space possible. If you want more info on this just ask!

C) Save your current scene 'as is' (Only when you've finished UVing), call it something like editable scene Pre Painter etc. This is the version of the file you return to should you need to make any additional changes in the future, so keep it safe as it contains the pre-frozen editable mesh remember!

D) Now delete all meshes in the scene (Mesh copies, backups etc) apart from those you intend to take over to Painter. This just helps keep the file easier to manage in Painter.

E) Now export as FBX 2015 and save to desktop, as Painter doesn't support network paths right now.

F) Import into Painter and have some fun!!!!!

QUICK TIPS THAT MAY HELP FURTHER

1. Select OpenGL (although you can change this later) as the 'Normal Map Preference' upon importing your scene.

2. I find that combining multiple mesh objects into one (Create selection sets for the polygons of each mesh first, or assign a material so you can right-click on it and select all polygons that it's applied to so it's easier to UV) by copying the polygons into a single mesh item works much better than trying to texture multiple mesh items with unique UV maps. Once you have combined all the polygons into a single mesh item (they don't actually have to be joined together at all and can remain separate within the single mesh item) then use UDIM tiles to give each separate part of the mesh it's own texture set in Painter. Just note that currently it's not possible to paint across multiple UDIM's in Painter, so think carefully about how you UV.

3. Bake textures to ensure you can use Generators in Painter. These will help significantly with edge wear and dirt masks. Default settings (plus at least 2 x 2 anti-aliasing) appear to typically work quite well in most cases and you can ignore anything related to low poly meshes if you're not working on game assets.

4. Painter currently still appears to be optimised for the games industry and can get quite slow when working with large polygon counts. Even with one of the fastest HDDs (Intel SSD) you can buy,  Painter becomes painfully slow and can get quite unresponsive once you begin working with more than 10 UDIM's. Hopefully, this will soon be rectified by the dev team in future releases though.

Hope that helps.

Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 07:45:51 pm
WS: Win10 / Intel i7 6950X 10 core / 20 threads 3.0GHz, OC @ 4.2GHz / Titan X 12GB GFX / Intel 750 Series 1.2TB NVMe (Primary HDD) / Intel 750 Series 800GB NVMe (Cache) / 64GB DDR4 2666MHz Ram / Render Nodes: 4 x Intel Xeon E5-2697 V4 / 64GB EEC DDR4 Ram Per Node / 34" 3440 x 1440px LG IPS DISPLAY

Hopefully I can help here as I've invested a lot of serious time into experimenting with Modo> Substance workflows recently.

Substance doesn't currently support SubD's (although you have to use an awful lot of edge loops to ensure that you don't get stretching in your textures when using standard SubD's in Modo anyway, so use Psubs [Shift+Tab] where possible instead) at the moment. Therefore, you have to use the 'Freeze' command in Modo prior to exporting the mesh. The way I go about it is as follows.

A) When you are 100% satisfied with your model / scene, then create a copy of your mesh before your freeze so you can always return to it to make changes in the future if need be.

B) Freeze your mesh and Unwrap / UV I use UDIM's so I can give each part of the mesh the largest texturing space possible. If you want more info on this just ask!

C) Save your current scene 'as is' (Only when you've finished UVing), call it something like editable scene Pre Painter etc. This is the version of the file you return to should you need to make any additional changes in the future, so keep it safe as it contains the pre-frozen editable mesh remember!

D) Now delete all meshes in the scene (Mesh copies, backups etc) apart from those you intend to take over to Painter. This just helps keep the file easier to manage in Painter.

E) Now export as FBX 2015 and save to desktop, as Painter doesn't support network paths right now.

F) Import into Painter and have some fun!!!!!

QUICK TIPS THAT MAY HELP FURTHER

1. Select OpenGL (although you can change this later) as the 'Normal Map Preference' upon importing your scene.

2. I find that combining multiple mesh objects into one (Create selection sets for the polygons of each mesh first, or assign a material so you can right-click on it and select all polygons that it's applied to so it's easier to UV) by copying the polygons into a single mesh item works much better than trying to texture multiple mesh items with unique UV maps. Once you have combined all the polygons into a single mesh item (they don't actually have to be joined together at all and can remain separate within the single mesh item) then use UDIM tiles to give each separate part of the mesh it's own texture set in Painter. Just note that currently it's not possible to paint across multiple UDIM's in Painter, so think carefully about how you UV.

3. Bake textures to ensure you can use Generators in Painter. These will help significantly with edge wear and dirt masks. Default settings (plus at least 2 x 2 anti-aliasing) appear to typically work quite well in most cases and you can ignore anything related to low poly meshes if you're not working on game assets.

4. Painter currently still appears to be optimised for the games industry and can get quite slow when working with large polygon counts. Even with one of the fastest HDDs (Intel SSD) you can buy,  Painter becomes painfully slow and can get quite unresponsive once you begin working with more than 10 UDIM's. Hopefully, this will soon be rectified by the dev team in future releases though.

Hope that helps.

Very good post! Thanks for sharing.

We are indeed moving into VFX workflows. We have been focused on games but now we also moving into VFX and Design markets. We will be working to improve painter with optimizations and new features to support these markets.

Cheers,
wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com

Hi Wes,

Thanks for the kind comments and for taking the time to reply too. I've come over from using Mari and have to say that I am very impressed with Painter and the rate at which it's improving all the time. Looking forward to seeing more VFX features soon.

All the best,

Jay
WS: Win10 / Intel i7 6950X 10 core / 20 threads 3.0GHz, OC @ 4.2GHz / Titan X 12GB GFX / Intel 750 Series 1.2TB NVMe (Primary HDD) / Intel 750 Series 800GB NVMe (Cache) / 64GB DDR4 2666MHz Ram / Render Nodes: 4 x Intel Xeon E5-2697 V4 / 64GB EEC DDR4 Ram Per Node / 34" 3440 x 1440px LG IPS DISPLAY

Hi Wes,

Thanks for the kind comments and for taking the time to reply too. I've come over from using Mari and have to say that I am very impressed with Painter and the rate at which it's improving all the time. Looking forward to seeing more VFX features soon.

All the best,

Jay

Hi Jay,

Thanks very much! So glad to hear you are liking Painter. Please let us know if you have any feedbacks or need help.

Cheers,
Wes

Thanks Wes, much appreciated and will do. Improve Painters performance with high poly scenes, add .abr brush support (miss that from Mari) and add options to increase the font sizes of individual palettes (for those of us using UHD / 4K monitors) and will be very satisfied indeed!

Seriously though, I'm very impressed with the way Allegorithmic communicate with and listen to their customers.

All the best,

Jay

Thanks Wes, much appreciated and will do. Improve Painters performance with high poly scenes, add .abr brush support (miss that from Mari) and add options to increase the font sizes of individual palettes (for those of us using UHD / 4K monitors) and will be very satisfied indeed!

Seriously though, I'm very impressed with the way Allegorithmic communicate with and listen to their customers.

All the best,

Jay

Thanks very much Jay! We are working hard to keep pushing the feature set. We have lots to do. Painter is still pretty new but we have a large roadmap. I'm very excited for the future.

Cheers,
WEs

Jay, thank you!

Hey, you're most welcome!