Author Topic: From Painter back to 3DS Max  (Read 230 times)

I have tried everything I can think of but is there any way to get my model to look like it does in Painter but in 3DS MAX. I find a lot people asking about it but seems no one knows. Im using MAX 2017 and Im using the new Physical Material, but its not even close to Painter.

Thanks
Chuck

Hi Chuck,

What renderer are you using?

I've had very good results using the ART renderer and physical materials for metal/roughness workflow.

For Vray there is a very good tutorial by Danny McGrath that will get you there. Here is the promo - the tutorial is available on Gumroad - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdCNht6vjoc

Hey Daf57 :)
Thanks for the reply.
Im using the A.R.T. renderer. When I hook up the physical material the roughness doesnt seem to work,, everything is really shinny or glossy. I tried to invert the roughness and still no luck.

I  am exporting out of Substance Painter the Standard PBR  Metallic Roughness .

I dont have Vray.
Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:40:39 pm

Hi Chuck,

You'll notice that there are 2 places in the physical material that roughness appears. There is a diffuse roughness and a reflections roughness. You will want to use the latter. Sounds like you are since you mention the INV button. If you are using a map here try removing it and then adjust or invert the roughness and see if it makes a different. Maybe your map is wrong. Also  - what is your IOR set to?

Daf

Hey Daf
 WOW! That alone helped out a ton. This is the best I have got so far.
My IOR is default at 1.52
And yes I have to Invert or everything is really shinny. 

Somethings are still off ,, you can see it in the pictures but still getting close thanks a lot.

Should I change my camera in MAX? I keep reading that I need a physical camera. Confused on that.
Also Im confused about the Gama settings in MAX . I keep reading to disable Gama.
And one last thing,, the lighting, is there a way to setup some simple lighting?

The picture below you can see the rubber is to shinny

Here it is in SP

Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 01:17:02 am

Hi Chuck,

IMO you should always use a camera -and the Max Physical Camera is very good. But these is some tweaks you will need to learn before it acts like you want it to so save that for the next project. What you have now is fine.

I see that in the screen for the shiny rubber that you have the INV button active for the reflections roughness - what does it look like with the INV off? That should be the key there. Failing that remove the map and adjust  the roughness manually.

Don't forget that in Painter you need to pan your light around to see how the material interact with it. Hold shift and right mouse button and pan the mouse left and right. You will see the materials change as the light moves.

The environment is the only light options in Substance Painer.

If you will go get the tutorial I mentioned on earlier - even tho it focuses on Vray it has a lot of good tips that will transfer to other renderers - including the linear workflow you asked about (gamma). :)

Thanks
Daf