Author Topic: Substance Designer 6 Sbars not working with Unity  (Read 3157 times)

Does anyone know if this is fixed in unity 2017.1?  I have not had a chance to try the beta yet.

Unity 2017.1 officially launched today. I tried it. No, it's not fixed.

Just came here to post that.  Really crazy that there has been a couple of minor Unity updates and now a major one since this was first reported, and its still not fixed...

I want to bring in some of these newer textures on source and most of the new ones don't work..

Argh, was hoping there'd be some sort of workaround in this thread. Changing my workflow to exporting images wouldn't be too bad, but I really like the low filesize of the exported archives for shipping and also for version control.

My project's been languishing for like 6 months while I wait for this to be fixed. This is ridiculous. I regret making Substance an important part of my game.

My project's been languishing for like 6 months while I wait for this to be fixed. This is ridiculous. I regret making Substance an important part of my game.

I couldn't agree more. Whether it's allegorithmic's fault or unity's, the fact remains that we can't use the software we bought back in February. I wish so hard I could get a refund for it. I certainly won't be buying substance designer in future.

I couldn't agree more. Whether it's allegorithmic's fault or unity's, the fact remains that we can't use the software we bought back in February. I wish so hard I could get a refund for it. I certainly won't be buying substance designer in future.

We completely understand your frustration and am very sorry for this issue. It's been very frustrating for us as well as it's completely out of our hands. Please know, we have been trying to get Unity to release the updates we gave them. We will solve this issue in the future by creating an external plugin for Unity where we 100% control the updates. This will work similar to how we handle the UE4 plugin updates and will prevent this from happening in the future. Again, we greatly apologize for the issues this has caused all of you. I know this really sucks and I feel the same frustrations you do.

Unity has told us they will be releasing the plugin in the Unity 2017 public beta builds. We have been waiting for that and it hasn't appeared yet. We are trying to find out the exact version it will be releasing so we can be as transparent as possible.

For a workaround, you can use the version 5 Substance engine. This works in Substance Designer 6 and 2017. In the preferences>Projects, you can set the Comparability Mode to Substance Engine 5. This will then highlight nodes in your graph that can't be used in engine 5. Using this mode will of course eliminate some features from SD 6/2017 such as the curve node or the fill alpha to 1 on the normal node. I know this is not ideal, but I wanted to give some help in this situation by explaining the engine compatibility mode.

Cheers,
wes
Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:21:03 pm
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com

I appreciate that you're doing what you can, and especially that you're replacing the plugin with something you can update yourselves. Good to hear Unity hasn't forgotten it entirely.

A question: is there, like, a C++ API or something like that I could use to interface with Substance Engine directly, so that a person could integrate it into their own engine, perhaps? In my case, the Unity integration, in addition to not working with Substance 6, also doesn't really work in a way that's convenient for my game. I've been thinking about writing something to wrap it so I don't have to worry about all it's inconveniences, and I wouldn't mind doing a bit more work, especially if it might mean performance gains.

I appreciate that you're doing what you can, and especially that you're replacing the plugin with something you can update yourselves. Good to hear Unity hasn't forgotten it entirely.

A question: is there, like, a C++ API or something like that I could use to interface with Substance Engine directly, so that a person could integrate it into their own engine, perhaps? In my case, the Unity integration, in addition to not working with Substance 6, also doesn't really work in a way that's convenient for my game. I've been thinking about writing something to wrap it so I don't have to worry about all it's inconveniences, and I wouldn't mind doing a bit more work, especially if it might mean performance gains.

Yes, we do have an engine API. It's not publicly available as we reserve this for studio use. If you are interested in the API, please submit a request on our contact form and someone from our Engine sales team will contact you with information.
https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact

Cheers,
wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com