Author Topic: Unable to Open SBSAR Files in SD 6.0  (Read 638 times)

One of the new features for SD6 is the ability to review materials from Substance Source inside SD to see how they were created.

Unfortunately whenever I try to open one of these files in SD6 (Steam version), it has a small lock icon on the graph, and I can't look at any of the settings at all.  This happens on source materials I downloaded last month as well as the one I just downloaded fresh a few moments ago.

Do I need to do something special to look at how these graphs were created?

Same thing happens to me! I tried to import my .sbsar into Unity and Marmoset 3.0 and both of them shows errors. I have no errors when I create the .sbsar, but it seems to detect errors when I import the substance in unity.

I have provided here the log for Unity.

For Marmoset, no error is shown. The .sbsar doesn't load.

If you're referring to right clicking on the node to open the reference, I'm having the same issue. I even tried launching SD5 and it doesn't work for me there anymore, either (it did work in SD5 before all of the Feb 14th changes).

It will open the package in the explorer window, but no longer generates a tab in the graph editor.

/edit Oops.
Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 04:53:46 pm

@EArkham : I think you misunderstood the annoucement. SD can not and will not be able to reconstruct the graph from .sbsar files. One will only ever be able to edit the graph with .sbs files. What is new is that previously, only the .sbsar file where distributed on Source, now both the sbsar and the sbs can be available on Source. So if you want to access the graph of the substances you downloaded on Source, you need to download the corresponding .sbs files if it is available.

@jeffvhuard : I think your issue is different. You are probably trying to render in Toolbag and Unity substance files created with SD6 which make use of the new features introduced with SD6. As the Substance Engine used in these third party applications has not been updated yet, it does not know how to make use of those new features. Until the engines in these application have been upgraded, you will only be able to render substances that are using the feature set of SD5.

@vaskania : It was never possible to access the graph inside sbsar files.

Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:40:07 am

Thanks Cyrille. So if I understand correctly, I must use Substance Designer 5 for my production work up until the point whhen Unity and Marmoset upgrade their software to recieve the new sbsar format from Designer 6?

@vaskania : It was never possible to access the graph inside sbsar files.

I swear I was using source materials when I did that. My mistake then.

So if I understand correctly, I must use Substance Designer 5 for my production work up until the point whhen Unity and Marmoset upgrade their software to recieve the new sbsar format from Designer 6?
You can use Designer 6, but you must only use features which were available in Designer 5 (so you don't have to keep a version of SD 5 installed). You can change the current project Compatibility Mode to 'Substance Engine v5' in the Tools->Projects options menu, in order to highlight the nodes in your graph that are new to Substance Designer 6.

@EArkham : I think you misunderstood the annoucement. SD can not and will not be able to reconstruct the graph from .sbsar files. One will only ever be able to edit the graph with .sbs files. What is new is that previously, only the .sbsar file where distributed on Source, now both the sbsar and the sbs can be available on Source. So if you want to access the graph of the substances you downloaded on Source, you need to download the corresponding .sbs files if it is available.

I did misunderstand, yeah.  Thanks for the reply!

Will all the current source materials eventually have their sbs files released?  The one I was trying to look at has only an sbsar available.

Sorry. If it is not available now, it will likely never be. We can only publish the sbs files for the substances that are created by Allegorithmic. Some are created by third parties, and we don't have the .sbs files for those.

Thank you very much Cyrille for your quick reply and your solution :) Will try it as soon as possible!

Sorry. If it is not available now, it will likely never be. We can only publish the sbs files for the substances that are created by Allegorithmic. Some are created by third parties, and we don't have the .sbs files for those.

That's too bad.  A lot of the "stylized" and irregular patterns are 3rd party and have no sbs, and those are the ones where learning how they're made would be extremely educational.  Ah well.