Author Topic: Substance Live & Sbsar files  (Read 1375 times)

I just signed up to Substance Live to make use of the range of materials it provides. My hope was to download a few and then customise them to my liking as I'm not imaginative enough to create a material from scratch, nor do I want to spend so much time on creating them. Just my preference, but anyway...

Sbsar files... they don't seem useful for I'm trying to achieve and that's all substance live seems to have.

So this my experience working with sbsar files and cinema/arnold.

I download one - open it up in substance - create a new graph - follow the arnold/maya tutorial on this site, using the base color converter - scale the texture up to 4k - everything seems sweet, I export with no errors.

Open it up inside cinema using the substance plugin - I get the invalid file error - the material doesn't display anything.

Now if I just use the sbsar file and go direct to cinema without editing it will work fine, but the resolution is too low and it looks crappy.

I did find an sbs file on substance and my results were better, however the arnold conversion method from the tutorial still didn't work. Anytime I try to save my own version out of substance I get an error in cinema. The only way I can achieve what I'm after is open up the sbs file - bump up the resolution and then save over the original - go into arnold shader network and plugged the desired channels from the sbs into a standard shader.

Apologies from rambling. Basically what I'm getting at is, Sbsar file don't seem much use, they're low res and I can't/don't know how to change that. Any suggestions on this?

Second, is my method for integrating into arnold okay? without using the base color converter?

thanks

I just signed up to Substance Live to make use of the range of materials it provides. My hope was to download a few and then customise them to my liking as I'm not imaginative enough to create a material from scratch, nor do I want to spend so much time on creating them. Just my preference, but anyway...

Sbsar files... they don't seem useful for I'm trying to achieve and that's all substance live seems to have.

So this my experience working with sbsar files and cinema/arnold.

I download one - open it up in substance - create a new graph - follow the arnold/maya tutorial on this site, using the base color converter - scale the texture up to 4k - everything seems sweet, I export with no errors.

Open it up inside cinema using the substance plugin - I get the invalid file error - the material doesn't display anything.

Now if I just use the sbsar file and go direct to cinema without editing it will work fine, but the resolution is too low and it looks crappy.

I did find an sbs file on substance and my results were better, however the arnold conversion method from the tutorial still didn't work. Anytime I try to save my own version out of substance I get an error in cinema. The only way I can achieve what I'm after is open up the sbs file - bump up the resolution and then save over the original - go into arnold shader network and plugged the desired channels from the sbs into a standard shader.

Apologies from rambling. Basically what I'm getting at is, Sbsar file don't seem much use, they're low res and I can't/don't know how to change that. Any suggestions on this?

Second, is my method for integrating into arnold okay? without using the base color converter?

thanks

HI Jason,

There shouldn't be a resolution problem. You can change the resolution of the substances in the C4D plugin. I think it may default to a lower resolution.

Did you publish the substance in Substance Designer 6?

Cheers,
wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja