Author Topic: Linear color exports from substance painter.  (Read 692 times)

Hey,

So im creating for Unity with the steam vr pluggin, and we recently noticed that if we don't render in linear color space we get some bad color banding on smoothly shaded surfaces so we have had to switch our workflow to linear.

Now when i sett my base color to RGB8 i would expect to get linear files, the thumbnails are shown in linear, the viewport is gamma corrected however, and the files exported are also gamma corrected, why is this.

It is something that is causing problems for us in Unity, because it does not automatically de-gamma files like unreal does. So we get a really dark colors, manually de-gammaing all our files would be a pain, is there an option somewhere in substance that makes it not only work in linear color space but also output linear color files?

Hey,

So im creating for Unity with the steam vr pluggin, and we recently noticed that if we don't render in linear color space we get some bad color banding on smoothly shaded surfaces so we have had to switch our workflow to linear.

Now when i sett my base color to RGB8 i would expect to get linear files, the thumbnails are shown in linear, the viewport is gamma corrected however, and the files exported are also gamma corrected, why is this.

It is something that is causing problems for us in Unity, because it does not automatically de-gamma files like unreal does. So we get a really dark colors, manually de-gammaing all our files would be a pain, is there an option somewhere in substance that makes it not only work in linear color space but also output linear color files?

Hi,

You can set the color space for the textures manually. You can click on the little arrow and a popup will appear that allows you to change the color space for the texture. Please give that a shot and see if it fixes the export being in gamma space.

Cheers,
wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com

Hey,

Could you show me an example for the banding issue?
Which Unity are you using?

For clarification: You changed Unity's Rendering Color Space to linear?
In that case:
I never used with the steam vr plug-in but Unity handles correctly the textures in Linear Color Space mode.
It is working as it should. You have gamma corrected base color textures and Unity do the linearisation (de-gamma) like in Unreal.
In general you don't have to export linear files and don't have to change the sRGB8 to RGB8 in Substance Painter.

We always use the linear Rendering Color Space in our projects.

The banding could related to the texture color compression not the texture or the rendering mode.

Cheers, D
I'm an Environment Artist and R&D Generalist at Digic Pictures