Author Topic: Questions about batch tools  (Read 360 times)

Hello,

I've been using a few of Substance Designer, Painter and the batch tools for a university project for a couple of weeks. I have a few questions regarding some of the features of the batch tools that I was hoping the community here was kind enough to answer them.
As I am building an image database of texture variations, I'd like to be able to save images of the textures as rendered on various meshes. A simple plane would be the easiest case and I thought that would be the output of sbsrender, but so far it seems not.

Is it possible have the sbsrender batch script output all of the channels "combined" into a planar view of what the texture would look like? Also, is there a way to capture images of textures rendered on top of a mesh outside of opening Designer or Player and taking a screenshot of the 3D view?

I also gave sbsbaker a try to see if I could get it to do just that, but I think I am misunderstanding the purpose of "baking" in a graphics context. I'm still quite new to texturing and I have to admit I don't understand most of the sbsbaker commands and parameters. Could anyone clarify what inputs and outputs sbsbaker produces? Does it only work with meshes or can one feed in sbs files as well?

Thank you very much for any help you can provide!

Hello,

I've been using a few of Substance Designer, Painter and the batch tools for a university project for a couple of weeks. I have a few questions regarding some of the features of the batch tools that I was hoping the community here was kind enough to answer them.
As I am building an image database of texture variations, I'd like to be able to save images of the textures as rendered on various meshes. A simple plane would be the easiest case and I thought that would be the output of sbsrender, but so far it seems not.

Is it possible have the sbsrender batch script output all of the channels "combined" into a planar view of what the texture would look like? Also, is there a way to capture images of textures rendered on top of a mesh outside of opening Designer or Player and taking a screenshot of the 3D view?

I also gave sbsbaker a try to see if I could get it to do just that, but I think I am misunderstanding the purpose of "baking" in a graphics context. I'm still quite new to texturing and I have to admit I don't understand most of the sbsbaker commands and parameters. Could anyone clarify what inputs and outputs sbsbaker produces? Does it only work with meshes or can one feed in sbs files as well?

Thank you very much for any help you can provide!

Hi,

The sbsrender tool will render the sbs and export the image outputs. I'm sorry but I am confused on what you mean by "combined into a planar view." Can you please explain the planar view?

The sbsbaker tool allows you to use the command line to batch bake models. Here you are using the same bakers that are in Designer such as AO, normal, curvature etc.

Cheers,
Wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com

Hello Wes,

Thank you for the reply. Sorry if my wording was a bit confusing.
By planar view I meant a representation of the substance as rendered on a flat plane geometry (like in the 3D view in Substance Designer/Player). So essentially I would want a "screenshot" of what the final texture would look like when applied to a flat surface, as opposed to just having all the different outputs given by sbsrender. Is that achievable with the Batch Tools?

Hello Wes,

Thank you for the reply. Sorry if my wording was a bit confusing.
By planar view I meant a representation of the substance as rendered on a flat plane geometry (like in the 3D view in Substance Designer/Player). So essentially I would want a "screenshot" of what the final texture would look like when applied to a flat surface, as opposed to just having all the different outputs given by sbsrender. Is that achievable with the Batch Tools?

Hi,

I'm sorry but this is not possible with the batch tools. The sbsrender is only baking the substance to create the textures. It's the same as if you manually exported them from Designer.

Cheers,
wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com