Author Topic: Meet MAT: Zinan Liu entry  (Read 1095 times)

Hi Everyone!
Here to share my Mat submission, super excited to see all the amazing works posted here on the forum so far, the amount of creativity is unbelievable!

For my submission I wanted to give myself a challenge and not use any alphas created outside of the Substance package. The gears as well as the outer ring pattern on the face were created procedurally in Substance Designer. Everything else is manually created in Substance Painter. Hope you guys like it :D

Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 07:00:05 am

For my submission I wanted to give myself a challenge and not use any alphas created outside of the Substance package.

I really appreciate the say you approached this project.  It's such a great way to learn new things.  And the results were stunning.  Great job!

What resolution are you running at?  I was wondering if the scroll work around the head (middle picture) would get a lot sharper if you bumped up the resolution for final rendering.  (Note to self - I need to remember to do that, even though I don't have much detail in mine.)
Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 02:19:29 pm
Hobbyist

For my submission I wanted to give myself a challenge and not use any alphas created outside of the Substance package.

I really appreciate the say you approached this project.  It's such a great way to learn new things.  And the results were stunning.  Great job!

What resolution are you running at?  I was wondering if the scroll work around the head (middle picture) would get a lot sharper if you bumped up the resolution for final rendering.  (Note to self - I need to remember to do that, even though I don't have much detail in mine.)

Thanks you :D I did the render with the resolution of 1920 x 1200 as written in the submission guidelines. All texture sets were at 4k resolution. I think the issue was that i added another layer of line work on the edges of the patterns, and after edge wear was added on top of that, the result looked a lot more rough in the render than i expected.

Love it, well done!

I think I've already seen a similar idea a few times, but I really like the glowing hands - great contrast for the clockwork, vintage metal part.

Are they just glowing, BTW? If you managed to simulate subsurface scattering so well with just emission, then great job! Hope you didn't use a non-default shader.

I think I've already seen a similar idea a few times, but I really like the glowing hands - great contrast for the clockwork, vintage metal part.

Are they just glowing, BTW? If you managed to simulate subsurface scattering so well with just emission, then great job! Hope you didn't use a non-default shader.

Haha yea I almost decided to change my idea mid way cos there were a few similar submissions out there, but there was very little time left to do a completely new one. You are correct about the arms, they are just emissive maps, and the whole thing is using the default pbr metal rough shader :)

The faux subsurface scattering on the arms is incredibly believable. Could you talk a little about how you achieved the smooth gradient and color balancing on that area to achieve such a high quality effect?