Author Topic: SP exports roughness as indexed color - NOT as grayscale  (Read 328 times)

Hi,

Why does substance painter exports the roughness as indexed color and not as grayscale, like substance designer do.

This is a big problem, since Unreal Engine relies on this data to know whether to treat the texture as linear or as sRGB (in terms of automatically switching OFF the sRGB checkbox).

I've tried using different export settings from substance painter (such as L8, L16, L16F, L32F) and all of them just exported the texture as indexed color. I know it's indexed since I've opened the texture in photoshop and checked under IMAGE > MODE> INDEXED COLOR.

I think this should be rectified by the Allegorithmic team.

Thanks

Bump!

Hello,

Unfortunately this is a limitation of our image library used for writing the textures. I don't think we have a fix planned for that behavior at the moment. As for UE4, that's their choice of implementation and we can't really control that.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

Hi,

Why does substance painter exports the roughness as indexed color and not as grayscale, like substance designer do.

This is a big problem, since Unreal Engine relies on this data to know whether to treat the texture as linear or as sRGB (in terms of automatically switching OFF the sRGB checkbox).

I've tried using different export settings from substance painter (such as L8, L16, L16F, L32F) and all of them just exported the texture as indexed color. I know it's indexed since I've opened the texture in photoshop and checked under IMAGE > MODE> INDEXED COLOR.

I think this should be rectified by the Allegorithmic team.

Thanks

Hi,

I don't have this behavior.
What file format did you used?
What preset did you used?
Some screenshots from the export config panel and a sample file would be great.

Cheers, D
I'm an Environment Artist and R&D Generalist at Digic Pictures

Hi,
Did some tests.
The gif format contains indexed colors.
The tiff, targa, png, jpg formats are grayscale or rgb depends on the preset configuration.
Cheers, D

Hi,
Did some tests.
The tiff, targa, png, jpg formats are grayscale or rgb depends on the preset configuration.
Cheers, D

Sorry for the late response. I haven't turned on the email notification on this thread.
I tested it also with the sample sphere and I used the PBR MetalRough preset. I chose targa as file format. When the roughness texture exported it was indexed color again.
I've created a short video demonstrating this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwEPh0w2_OhXRFdETHVZaTVQR2M/view?usp=sharing

Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 04:24:32 pm

Hi,
Did some tests.
Cheers, D

Sorry for the late response. I haven't turned on the email notification on this thread.
I tested it also with the sample sphere and I used the PBR MetalRough preset. I chose targa as file format. When the roughness texture exported it was indexed color again.

My mistake, tga is indexed like gif.
You still can use tif or png or jpg :)
Cheers, D
Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 12:28:35 am

Hi,
Did some tests.
Cheers, D

Cheers, D

The .jpg file format is lossy (has bad compression quality) so I can't use it in my pipeline. .tif is unsupported in Unreal. The most appropriate file format for unreal is .tga. I'm not sure about .png, but I think that this also makes some compression.

Is there anything on the your roadmap that will fix the .tga file format to be grayscale instead od indexed color?
Thanks

EDIT: I've checked - there is no compression on .png file format, but it doesn't handle alpha channel well as the .tga file format. (The alpha channel on the .tga is placed into the channels tab in Photoshop, so it gives more flexibility).
Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 01:30:30 pm

Hi,
Did some tests.
Cheers, D

Cheers, D

The .jpg file format is lossy (has bad compression quality) so I can't use it in my pipeline. .tif is unsupported in Unreal. The most appropriate file format for unreal is .tga. I'm not sure about .png, but I think that this also makes some compression.

Is there anything on the your roadmap that will fix the .tga file format to be grayscale instead od indexed color?
Thanks

EDIT: I've checked - there is no compression on .png file format, but it doesn't handle alpha channel well as the .tga file format. (The alpha channel on the .tga is placed into the channels tab in Photoshop, so it gives more flexibility).

You can't use tif in Unreal? Wow. That's a surprise.
But wait a minute... If you using the Unreal preset, the Roughness is stored in the green channel of an RGB file (so it is not indexed image).
So, why are you using a custom export preset not the Unreal Engine 4 (Packed) version?

I don't know Unreal, I'm using Unity. Sorry.

Cheers, D
Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:29:01 pm

I just installed Unreal and tested one of my material (painted in Substance Painter of course).
It is working really well with the default Unreal Engine 4 (packed) preset.
Here are the results (I'm not using the same IBL in the two software):

The only trick was to turn off the sRGB checkbox in the OcclusionRoughnessMetallic texture and set its Sampler Type to Linear Color.

Cheers, D
Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:03:07 pm