Author Topic: Expected Performance from Hardware  (Read 489 times)

Hey All

I have been using Substance Painter for just over a month now and I think its one of the best pieces of software I have ever bought.

I have just built a new PC as my sons machine required replacing so he got my old machine

New machine:
Asus Rog Maximus Code MotherBoard
Intel Core i7 7700K 4.2 GHz CPU
32GB G Skill Trident Z 3200MHz RGB DDR4 Memory
Samsung NvME 1TB M.2 SSD (NvME)
Nvidia GTX 1080
NZXT Water Cooler
Windows 10 Pro
27" Samsung 4k display

Old System:
Asus X99A Motherboard
Intel Core i7 5820 CPU
32GB Corsair Vengence LPX 2100 MHz DDR4 Memory
Nvidia GTX 1080
Corsair H110i Watercooler
Windows 10 Pro
27" Samsung 4k display

So to my question, when using Substance Painter I have noticed that some times when painting there is a lot of lag, also when adjust some textures caused the red bar along the bottom of the screen to maybe take 4 seconds to finish.  Also when swapping from one texture set to another, not even doing anything with it, there is a delay fo maybe 5 seconds, doesn't happen all the time but 80% of it.  Should this be happening? 

What is the the performance factor here, does SP2 use the CPU the most or the GPU?

Excellent product

Keep the updates and features coming Allgorithmic :)

I would like to suggest some improvements if i may:

1.  Give the user the option to either bake the stroke as you go (as Mari does, stroke then press B to bake)
2.  When creating a new layer either put it above the selection or below and not randomly in a folder that it above your selection.
3.  Allow the user to Merge Texture Sets (Not sure if this would be possible) so the output would be one texture.
     example: i have a texture set for stuff, and i forgot to include one item which has the default material on it, rather than re-importing, it would be nice to attach the single item to what it should have been.
4.  Why when bringing in a stencil does this have to be square?  Allow the import of any image
5.  Allow turning of of Tiling for the Stencil (Might be already there as I am a newbie to SP2)

Thanks Clarke
Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:06:23 pm

Hey All

I have been using Substance Painter for just over a month now and I think its one of the best pieces of software I have ever bought.

I have just built a new PC as my sons machine required replacing so he got my old machine

New machine:
Asus Rog Maximus Code MotherBoard
Intel Core i7 7700K 4.2 GHz CPU
32GB G Skill Trident Z 3200MHz RGB DDR4 Memory
Samsung NvME 1TB M.2 SSD (NvME)
Nvidia GTX 1080
NZXT Water Cooler
Windows 10 Pro
27" Samsung 4k display

Old System:
Asus X99A Motherboard
Intel Core i7 5820 CPU
32GB Corsair Vengence LPX 2100 MHz DDR4 Memory
Nvidia GTX 1080
Corsair H110i Watercooler
Windows 10 Pro
27" Samsung 4k display

So to my question, when using Substance Painter I have noticed that some times when painting there is a lot of lag, also when adjust some textures caused the red bar along the bottom of the screen to maybe take 4 seconds to finish.  Also when swapping from one texture set to another, not even doing anything with it, there is a delay fo maybe 5 seconds, doesn't happen all the time but 80% of it.  Should this be happening? 

What is the the performance factor here, does SP2 use the CPU the most or the GPU?

Excellent product

Keep the updates and features coming Allgorithmic :)

I would like to suggest some improvements if i may:

1.  Give the user the option to either bake the stroke as you go (as Mari does, stroke then press B to bake)
2.  When creating a new layer either put it above the selection or below and not randomly in a folder that it above your selection.
3.  Allow the user to Merge Texture Sets (Not sure if this would be possible) so the output would be one texture.
     example: i have a texture set for stuff, and i forgot to include one item which has the default material on it, rather than re-importing, it would be nice to attach the single item to what it should have been.
4.  Why when bringing in a stencil does this have to be square?  Allow the import of any image
5.  Allow turning of of Tiling for the Stencil (Might be already there as I am a newbie to SP2)

Thanks Clarke

Well I don't have great news here for you since I have nearly identical hardware aside from a few brands, and it does the same thing to me in B2M when adjusting sliders. I found working on a lower texture resolution first is best, then scaling up when you are nearly done for final tweaks.

Working at a lower resolution is your best solution, I think.  There's not much room for you to improve your system in any significant way.

On a related note, about your "Suggestion #1" to do quick baking of strokes, that removes your ability to work at a low resolution and then, when you're done, export at a much higher resolution (without pixelation from simple magnification of low-res baked textures).

So be careful what you wish for.  It sounds like they have some other performance-improvment ideas they're working on that will still preserve the goodness of how Painter works.
Hobbyist

OK thanks for the advice chaps :)  really enjoying texturing stuff in painter.  I have Mari installed and have used that to texture some projects before which is why i suggested the option to allow someone to choose either how it is now or the ability to press a key to bake the texture.

Anyways, really good software :)

Cheers Clarke