Author Topic: Maya 2018 Substance plugin not working reliably  (Read 646 times)

I am re-posting a question I've already asked but not yet received a reply to because I think this is the better heading. I don't know how to take an existing post and change the heading. So apologies to anyone who sees this twice:

I'm finding I can't rely on the Substance plugin to link to files in Maya 2018. I got it to work once with a substance that ships with Maya which I copied into the source images folder of my project. (I couldn't get that same substance to open by navigating to the substances folder created during the software installation.) I had no luck linking to two sbsar files I had created with Substance Designer no matter what folder I put them in. In some cases I could see the file name in the substance node window, but no outputs appeared. I've tried turning the plugin off and then on, but that didn't help.

So for now I have returned to Maya 2017, where these same substances do seem to link up. My question, of course, is whether I'm experiencing a bug or operator error.

Thanks for any advice.

I am re-posting a question I've already asked but not yet received a reply to because I think this is the better heading. I don't know how to take an existing post and change the heading. So apologies to anyone who sees this twice:

I'm finding I can't rely on the Substance plugin to link to files in Maya 2018. I got it to work once with a substance that ships with Maya which I copied into the source images folder of my project. (I couldn't get that same substance to open by navigating to the substances folder created during the software installation.) I had no luck linking to two sbsar files I had created with Substance Designer no matter what folder I put them in. In some cases I could see the file name in the substance node window, but no outputs appeared. I've tried turning the plugin off and then on, but that didn't help.

So for now I have returned to Maya 2017, where these same substances do seem to link up. My question, of course, is whether I'm experiencing a bug or operator error.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi,

Can you post the substances you are working with?

Cheers,
wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

If I remember correctly the version witch is shipping with Maya 2018 is an old one.
I think there is no updated Substance Plug-in for Maya 2018.

Wes, can you confirm this?

Cheers, D
I'm an Environment Artist and R&D Generalist at Digic Pictures

If I remember correctly the version witch is shipping with Maya 2018 is an old one.
I think there is no updated Substance Plug-in for Maya 2018.

Wes, can you confirm this?

Cheers, D

Hi,

Yes, that is correct. We haven't updated the plugin to Maya 2018 yet. We are working on that now.

Cheers,
wes

Is there an ETA and/or a beta we can use?

Is there an ETA and/or a beta we can use?

HI,

We don't have a beta. We are currently working on additional updates and features for the plugin. We will do our best to get the 2018 version released ASAP.

Cheers,
wes

Hi Wes,
Sounds good. Thanks for the update.
D
I'm an Environment Artist and R&D Generalist at Digic Pictures

Hi Wes,
Sounds good. Thanks for the update.
D

No problem : ) Very sorry for the delay on the plugin. We are making updates and adding some new features. Happy to say there will be a new preferences options for settings : ) I'll post more info as soon as I can.

Cheers,
Wes