Author Topic: Maya 2018 Substance plugin not working reliably  (Read 1252 times)

I am re-posting a question I've already asked but not yet received a reply to because I think this is the better heading. I don't know how to take an existing post and change the heading. So apologies to anyone who sees this twice:

I'm finding I can't rely on the Substance plugin to link to files in Maya 2018. I got it to work once with a substance that ships with Maya which I copied into the source images folder of my project. (I couldn't get that same substance to open by navigating to the substances folder created during the software installation.) I had no luck linking to two sbsar files I had created with Substance Designer no matter what folder I put them in. In some cases I could see the file name in the substance node window, but no outputs appeared. I've tried turning the plugin off and then on, but that didn't help.

So for now I have returned to Maya 2017, where these same substances do seem to link up. My question, of course, is whether I'm experiencing a bug or operator error.

Thanks for any advice.

I am re-posting a question I've already asked but not yet received a reply to because I think this is the better heading. I don't know how to take an existing post and change the heading. So apologies to anyone who sees this twice:

I'm finding I can't rely on the Substance plugin to link to files in Maya 2018. I got it to work once with a substance that ships with Maya which I copied into the source images folder of my project. (I couldn't get that same substance to open by navigating to the substances folder created during the software installation.) I had no luck linking to two sbsar files I had created with Substance Designer no matter what folder I put them in. In some cases I could see the file name in the substance node window, but no outputs appeared. I've tried turning the plugin off and then on, but that didn't help.

So for now I have returned to Maya 2017, where these same substances do seem to link up. My question, of course, is whether I'm experiencing a bug or operator error.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi,

Can you post the substances you are working with?

Cheers,
wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

If I remember correctly the version witch is shipping with Maya 2018 is an old one.
I think there is no updated Substance Plug-in for Maya 2018.

Wes, can you confirm this?

Cheers, D
I'm an Environment Artist and R&D Generalist at Digic Pictures

If I remember correctly the version witch is shipping with Maya 2018 is an old one.
I think there is no updated Substance Plug-in for Maya 2018.

Wes, can you confirm this?

Cheers, D

Hi,

Yes, that is correct. We haven't updated the plugin to Maya 2018 yet. We are working on that now.

Cheers,
wes

Is there an ETA and/or a beta we can use?

Is there an ETA and/or a beta we can use?

HI,

We don't have a beta. We are currently working on additional updates and features for the plugin. We will do our best to get the 2018 version released ASAP.

Cheers,
wes

Hi Wes,
Sounds good. Thanks for the update.
D

Hi Wes,
Sounds good. Thanks for the update.
D

No problem : ) Very sorry for the delay on the plugin. We are making updates and adding some new features. Happy to say there will be a new preferences options for settings : ) I'll post more info as soon as I can.

Cheers,
Wes

Just bumping this to hear of any news about the Maya 2018 plugin. I'm mostly interested in the VRay 3.6 workflow, will there be any preset setups for this?

Just bumping this to hear of any news about the Maya 2018 plugin. I'm mostly interested in the VRay 3.6 workflow, will there be any preset setups for this?

Hi terrys_1,
What do you mean preset setup?
Cheers, D

Hello

I want to buy substance painter but i see that ther is not SP to Maya 2018 available yet, is there any ETA on that? i will appreciate is if you can give me some answer regarding the issue. It is my main and maybe only concern in order to buy the SP

There are some misunderstanding about this.

The Substance plug-in for Maya is not the Substance Painter software.

Substance Painter is a texture painting software (it has no compatibility with anything, it does not need that. You can export any type of texture set for any workflow/material/renderer from Painter).

However the Substance plug-in is basically an .sbsar (essentially a “material”) reader. That is the format which you can create with Substance Designer.

I hope this helps.
Cheers, D

Thanks a lot for the reply and clarification ,that makes my decision much easier then !

Any word on the substance plugin for maya 2018 yet?

Substance Painter is a texture painting software (it has no compatibility with anything, it does not need that. You can export any type of texture set for any workflow/material/renderer from Painter).

However the Substance plug-in is basically an .sbsar (essentially a “material”) reader. That is the format which you can create with Substance Designer.

I hope this helps.
Cheers, D

Any word on the substance plugin for maya 2018 yet?

I hope this helps.
Cheers, D

Hi,

I'm very sorry for the delay. We are still working on a few bugs. The 2018 plugin is adding some new features and a preference menu. We are looking to have a beta release this week.

Cheers,
wes