Author Topic: Newbie help with multi UVs  (Read 129 times)

My model had a lot of layers, so using just one UV meant the resolution of the textures were really bad.

So I split it into multiple UVs. But when I bring everything into substance painter there is only one map and I'm not sure what to do. Can anyone help with this?

My UV layout in Maya

And in Substance

I'm also baking my high poly textures from zbrush with colour maps. But it skips the face. Is having it on a separate UV really going to be a big problem? Any help or advice would be very much appreciated!

Did you activate the 'Create a texture set per UDIM tile' checkbox in Painter upon import?

You can only have 1 UV tile per object in Painter, and you can only have 1 TextureSet/ tile activated at one time. You can only see (and paint!) the UV tile of the object you have currently selected.

To be able to paint onto another object you need to select it in the TextureSet list. It is impossible (as of yet) to paint across multiple objects!

Did you activate the 'Create a texture set per UDIM tile' checkbox in Painter upon import?

You can only have 1 UV tile per object in Painter, and you can only have 1 TextureSet/ tile activated at one time. You can only see (and paint!) the UV tile of the object you have currently selected.

To be able to paint onto another object you need to select it in the TextureSet list. It is impossible (as of yet) to paint across multiple objects!

Thanks! And no, I didn't. I've tried it now but there are some problems. I've moved the face so it shares the same UV tile as the rest of the body. But for the other clothing parts... They have different texture sets and meshes. For example, in the bottom left tile I have two objects with two different material groups/texture sets.

Do I need to move all these to separate UV tiles? Because it would be an inefficient use of space. Or should I just move the ones in the outer UV tiles onto the centre U1 tile? So they will all be on top of one another, but in Substance they will be separate because of my texture sets. <-- I'm just concerned about doing this because I need to bring the model into UE4 later, and I heard I can't have overlapping UVs in it. I don't know if this would count as overlapping UVs or not. They will have separate UV texture maps in the end. Do you think it would be okay?