Author Topic: Exporting UEasset substance/textures to it's native format?  (Read 1648 times)

Hey there. I would like to know is there any way to export the textures that were created inside the UE4 with the Substance factory to a bitmaps? Or can I even export the substance factory back to its normal .sbsar format?
Thanks,
John K

Hey @kinaskijohn,

Currently there is no way to do this in the UE4 integration. If you wanted to save the tweaks that you have made and bring them over to another program, you can use the 'Export Preset' button and this will save everything you have tweaked to a preset (.sbprs) file. From there you can use Substance Player to load your substance, then load the preset (.sbprs) file and apply it to the substance. Then, you can export the substance with your tweaks to bitmaps. :)
Integrations QA Analyst
keston.gregory@allegorithmic.com

Hey @kinaskijohn,

Currently there is no way to do this in the UE4 integration. If you wanted to save the tweaks that you have made and bring them over to another program, you can use the 'Export Preset' button and this will save everything you have tweaked to a preset (.sbprs) file. From there you can use Substance Player to load your substance, then load the preset (.sbprs) file and apply it to the substance. Then, you can export the substance with your tweaks to bitmaps. :)
Hi, the problem is that there is no way to distribute Non UEasset files within the Unreal marketplace. And it greatly reduces the value of the substance integration inside the Unreal Engine. I hope allegorithmic will consider the possible adding of this feature in future.
Thanks,
John K

Hey @kinaskijohn,

Hi, the problem is that there is no way to distribute Non UEasset files within the Unreal marketplace. And it greatly reduces the value of the substance integration inside the Unreal Engine. I hope allegorithmic will consider the possible adding of this feature in future.
Thanks,
John K

Hi John,

I will check with the devs to see if we can add this. Just to understand, you are wanting to have the sbsar file included in the Uasset?

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi John,

I will check with the devs to see if we can add this. Just to understand, you are wanting to have the sbsar file included in the Uasset?

Cheers,
Wes
Hi Wes, yes, that would be super cool. I want to include the sbsar to the project, or have an option to convert the UEasset substance back to sbsar. Or even an option to export the textures to TGA or PNG or etc like the regular textures in the UE engine.
Thanks,
John K

Hey @kinaskijohn,

Thanks,
John K

Hi John,

Cheers,
Wes
one more addition, Wes. I tried to apply the Ueasset substance height texture as a landscape map and it also did not work(png, r16 or raw is required). So the exporting ueasset substance to a .sbsar is more and more preferable now.
Regards,
John K
Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 12:47:13 am

Hi John (@kinaskijohn),
So looking over your posts, it looks like you are a marketplace content creator and that you are looking for a better way to include Substance content within your marketplace packages.

Firstly, to create uasset files, we use Unreal Engine technology to do so. This is primarily a one-way street preventing us from easily, if at all, being able to reverse the process of importing a .sbsar. With that being said, what purpose would including the .sbsar within a project serve that is not already available within the plugin? When you create the uassets, is there something missing that having the .sbsar file within the project would improve?

We currently have a few marketplace packages and how we approach this is by importing all of the Substances into our scene and then we set up a demo scene using the Substance uasset objects. This handles the default content that users will quickly be able to add to their projects given they have the Substance plugin. We also include another folder within the content package that contains the base .sbsar files that we used within the content package. You could also include the .sbs files here in the case you wanted to do so. If any of the Substance files are updated or changed, when you import or reimport the .sbsar file, the changes should be applied to the existing Substances. This would make your content package larger but these files will only be added to the project folder and are not used in loading, cooking or packaging of a .uproject.

As for baking images to disk, this is currently a feature that the Unity integration supports that we also would like to add to UE4. It is within our plans but we do not have an estimated time for when this will be available.

Regarding the terrain height map issue, this may be a bug on our side. We are now currently looking into this and once we know more, I can update here. This will also be something we will add to our test suite.

Thank you for taking the time to report these issues and make these requests. If you have any other feedback regarding any other improvements we can make or have any other features that you would like to see, please let us know.

Cheers!  :D
Software Engineer, Integrations
daniel.stover@allegorithmic.com

Hi Dan,

Firstly, to create uasset files, we use Unreal Engine technology to do so. This is primarily a one-way street preventing us from easily, if at all, being able to reverse the process of importing a .sbsar. With that being said, what purpose would including the .sbsar within a project serve that is not already available within the plugin? When you create the uassets, is there something missing that having the .sbsar file within the project would improve?

First of all, I keep getting mails or messages from my customers about the possible texture baking feature within Unreal Engine. Some customers may want to have very fine quality 4x or even more downsampled textures in their projects. There is no way to make it inside UE. Some ppl also request the .sbsar for using it inside the Max or Maya or etc. side software when they are making cinematics(for their UE4 game, should I say?), while paying for the only UE compatible version is less desirable. With this being said, customers are stuck with only unreal engine features, while the price of the .sbsar(uasset one) remains full or need to be reduced to fit this kind of downgrades, or even move to another market in search of the original .sbsar which is not relevant to business ethics.

We currently have a few marketplace packages and how we approach this is by importing all of the Substances into our scene and then we set up a demo scene using the Substance uasset objects. This handles the default content that users will quickly be able to add to their projects given they have the Substance plugin. We also include another folder within the content package that contains the base .sbsar files that we used within the content package. You could also include the .sbs files here in the case you wanted to do so.

I've just downloaded the https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/allegorithmic-gynoid "Gynoid" project(4.15 for some reason) and I did not find any .sbsar or .sbs files there, just .UASSET. Can you please specify the project name and the folder where you added the .sbsar files. I mentioned this because not long ago I mailed uesupport with this question, can I include the side software files in the project, and they told me that distribution of the side software file extensions is not supported.
But If there is allready a way to include the .sbsar or .sbs file to the project without changes to the file extensions, it will solve all my questions.

Best regards,
John K
Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:26:21 pm

Hi John, (@kinaskijohn)
I should have been more specific regarding which project. The Gynoid project and the Substance Atlantis project are both for display/demo purposes and do not contain any .sbsar files. We have another content package but after double checking, I realized I was incorrect in that the .sbsar files are not included in this content pack either. Knowing this, there is not an easy solution to redistributing .sbsar files through the Epic Marketplace. We will continue to evaluate texture baking within our UE4 plugin and I can post an update here as soon as we know more.

Cheers
Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 05:50:59 pm
Software Engineer, Integrations
daniel.stover@allegorithmic.com

Hi John, (@kinaskijohn)
I should have been more specific regarding which project. The Gynoid project and the Substance Atlantis project are both for display/demo purposes and do not contain any .sbsar files. We have another content package but after double checking, I realized I was incorrect in that the .sbsar files are not included in this content pack either. Knowing this, there is not an easy solution to redistributing .sbsar files through the Epic Marketplace. We will continue to evaluate texture baking within our UE4 plugin and I can post an update here as soon as we know more.

Cheers

Greetings again :D

I will look forward to this feature, it will help a lot! Sad that the .sbsar redistribution is not going to make it in the nearest future, sad  :(

Thanks,
John K

Hi John, (@kinaskijohn)

Cheers
Hi again!
Well, after 2.5 months have passed may I ask again will we got the image export feature?

UP!