Author Topic: Send to Substance Painter  (Read 1286 times)

Hi...  Just started using the products, so apologies if this is a noob question.  I did a search, and perhaps my terms were wrong... in any event... When I right-click on an asset in UE4 and select SEND TO SUBSTANCE PAINTER, on the log inside of Substance Painter I am getting:

[Plugin - dcc-live-link] Unreal4 client connected
[Plugin - dcc-live-link] meshFile file:///C:/Users/Warren.Marshall/Desktop/SM_MatPreviewMesh_02.FBX isn't a valid url on an existing file

Thanks in advanced for your help...

teak

ps: I am on the .26 of the plugin for 4.18.1.
Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 08:04:34 pm

Hi Michael,

same problem here :(
I have installed the latest version of Substance Painter on my laptop and on my PC and it works just fine on the laptop but I get the same type of error as above on the PC?

Allegorithmic, any ideas please?

thanks,
Mat

Try this... Go to the Static Mesh Editor and clearing the SOURCE FILE field.  It will break the ability to re-import, but at least you will not get that error.

Still no luck...
I am getting some new errors instead:

[Scene 3D] No suitable reader found for the file format of file "file:///D:/Epic%20Games/UE_4.18/Engine/Binaries/Win64/".
[Scene 3D] Failed to load 3D scene.
No suitable reader found for the file format of file "file:///D:/Epic%20Games/UE_4.18/Engine/Binaries/Win64/".
[Script] file:///C:/Users/Mat/Documents/Allegorithmic/Substance Painter/plugins/dcc-live-link/main.qml:274: TypeError: Cannot read property 'materials' of undefined

(trying to export a mesh from a sample scene from Epic)

Weird, I'm having the same sort of issue. I'm using the Modo bridge to get a cube into UE4, then trying to send that cube to substance, but thats not working :/

[Script] file:///C:/Users/Pmiller/Documents/Allegorithmic/Substance Painter/plugins/dcc-live-link/main.qml:274: TypeError: Cannot read property 'materials' of undefined

Still no luck...
I am getting some new errors instead:

[Scene 3D] No suitable reader found for the file format of file "file:///D:/Epic%20Games/UE_4.18/Engine/Binaries/Win64/".
[Scene 3D] Failed to load 3D scene.
No suitable reader found for the file format of file "file:///D:/Epic%20Games/UE_4.18/Engine/Binaries/Win64/".
[Script] file:///C:/Users/Mat/Documents/Allegorithmic/Substance Painter/plugins/dcc-live-link/main.qml:274: TypeError: Cannot read property 'materials' of undefined

(trying to export a mesh from a sample scene from Epic)

Found this on the forums this morning Mat,
https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,21334.0.html

I havent tried it, will do when i get home , maybe it could help?

thanks for trying pmiller001, but it still doesn't work...
now I get:
[Scene 3D] Failed to compute tangents; need UV data in channel0
[Scene 3D] 3D scene successfully loaded
[Paint editor] Invalid scene, mesh 'UCX_SM_Couch' has no UV coordinates

thanks for trying pmiller001, but it still doesn't work...
now I get:
[Scene 3D] Failed to compute tangents; need UV data in channel0
[Scene 3D] 3D scene successfully loaded
[Paint editor] Invalid scene, mesh 'UCX_SM_Couch' has no UV coordinates

Hey Mat_Waw,

Can you try turning off the Level of Detail and Collision options in the FBX export options in Unreal? Painter might not like that data being sent to it.

Update: You should only have to disable collision meshes being exported.
Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 11:21:49 pm
Integrations QA Analyst
keston.gregory@allegorithmic.com

Hi keston,

it works! thanks guys. Looks like it's all down to exporting the mesh as FBX (as per pmiller001 link) with Level Of Detail and Collision unchecked, so a mesh coming as ue asset (for example from the tutorial files or marketplace) needs to be exported and reimported in order to be sent to SP.
In future updates of the plugin it would be great to add this as a background operation so it saves the asset to some cache location?
Great, thanks again!

Mat

Hi keston,

it works! thanks guys. Looks like it's all down to exporting the mesh as FBX (as per pmiller001 link) with Level Of Detail and Collision unchecked, so a mesh coming as ue asset (for example from the tutorial files or marketplace) needs to be exported and reimported in order to be sent to SP.
In future updates of the plugin it would be great to add this as a background operation so it saves the asset to some cache location?
Great, thanks again!

Mat

Did the same thing and it worked. ANd I agree Mat. This would be really cool as a background operation, it seems a little odd to have to do this, but otherwise, i like it so far.

Hi keston,

Great, thanks again!

Mat

Did the same thing and it worked. ANd I agree Mat. This would be really cool as a background operation, it seems a little odd to have to do this, but otherwise, i like it so far.

Hey guys,

We are planning on automating this process so you don't have to do this. But this is a workaround in the meantime. :)
Integrations QA Analyst

Hello,

I am have the exact same problem as the OP but how would I fix or do a workaround in Unity3d?

Hello,

I am have the exact same problem as the OP but how would I fix or do a workaround in Unity3d?

Hey @francis.t.chau@gmail.com ,

Are you receiving any errors in Unity/Painter when you try to send the mesh? Can you post them here so I can look into it? :)

Also, what version of Unity are you using?
Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:04:00 pm
Integrations QA Analyst

Hello,

Hey @francis.t.chau@gmail.com ,

Are you receiving any errors in Unity/Painter when you try to send the mesh?
In Unity3D, no.
In Painter, yes.
Can you post them here so I can look into it? :)
Sure:

I'll start with the non-error message in Unity:
Creating a new Substance Painter project located at S:\ftchau1Documents\Unity Projects\PBR\Library\.sp\unity default rsources.spp UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)

Then the error message I get from Substance Painter:
[Plugin - dcc-live-link] meshFile file:///S:/ftchau1/Documents/Unity%20Projects/PBR/Library/unity%20default%20resources isn't a valid url on an existing file

Also, what version of Unity are you using?
2017.3.0f3.

I already have ddc-live-link enabled in Painter; there's a check mark right beside it.

In Unity3D I've created a planar gameobject, right clicked on it and send it to Painter.

BTW you can just call me Francis.