Author Topic: Unity 2018.1 Support  (Read 7992 times)

Whats going on with Substance and Unity3d? The current Beta 11 says:

"Substance: Deprecated built-in support for Substance Designer materials. This support will be removed in 2018.1. To continue using Substance Designer materials in Unity 2018.1, you need to install a suitable third-party external importer from the Asset Store."

Will Allegorithmic be offering said importer before 2018.1 is released?

"Substance: Deprecated built-in support for Substance Designer materials. This support will be removed in 2018.1. To continue using Substance Designer materials in Unity 2018.1, you need to install a suitable third-party external importer from the Asset Store."

Hi,

Yes, we will be providing the full and official Substance plugin that will be available on the Unity Asset Store. We are currently working on an announcement with Unity they will share in a blog post. Our new plugin will release with the public build of 2018.1.

We want to fully control the release cycle and schedule. With the external plugin, we will no longer be reliant on Unity to add the updates of the plugin to the Unity engine. This means we will be able to best serve our users by providing immediate updates to the Substance Engine when new features are added to Designer.

Please know, we are taking this route so we can best server our Unity Substance users. If you have any concerns or questions, please let us know.

Cheers,
wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi,

Yes, we will be providing the full and official Substance plugin that will be available on the Unity Asset Store. We are currently working on an announcement with Unity they will share in a blog post. Our new plugin will release with the public build of 2018.1.

We want to fully control the release cycle and schedule. With the external plugin, we will no longer be reliant on Unity to add the updates of the plugin to the Unity engine. This means we will be able to best serve our users by providing immediate updates to the Substance Engine when new features are added to Designer.

Please know, we are taking this route so we can best server our Unity Substance users. If you have any concerns or questions, please let us know.

Cheers,
wes

Do you know if also the Dynamic Material Layering in Unity will changed in the future ?
Because in that case, now I have a few problem with it, and I would prefer waiting and work to other things
Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 02:00:54 pm

I guess this means better for Unity users. I have one feature request for the said plugin. Substance is great for generating texture within Unity, but sometimes I would like to export as bitmaps instead. I know we can use substance player to do this, but it would be much much better if we can just do it inside Unity.

This is excellent news!! Unity's lag in adding support for the SD6 format was pretty extreme.

I hope this means GPU engine support!!  ;D

I'm actually really happy about this, when I read the beta release notes I was hoping that meant you guys were taking over the plugin support in the same way you guys do the Unreal support.

Thanks guys for all your hard work.

Wow, finally something is moving regarding the Unity implementation - thx for your efforts, Allegorithmic!
Will the plugin be free for us SD users?
Furthermore, there are already asset store plugins out there that can read substances (ProceduralTexture is the name of the Unity class if I remember correctly) and output combined maps (RTP terrain shader, Vertex Tools Pro) - will they need to change their codebase in order to utilize the plugin? I ask because this usually delays stuff further.

What about 8k resolution? Will we get that too? That would be quite lovely.

Man, I am so glad to hear that "deprecated from Unity" doesn't mean what I was afraid it meant! Unity without Substance? Eek!

It was indeed frustrating to wait for SD6 support in Unity, so if this means Unity will now be able to support more recent SD outputs, then ++good. As others have said, thanks to Allegorithmic for the work. Substance is fantastic technology.

What exactly does this mean for asset developers who use Substances? I guess the assets won't work out of the box then anymore, don't they?

Are asset developers allowed to include this plugin like they do with e. g. the postprocessing stack or parts of the standard assets unitypackage? Or will downloading the plugin from the store become a precondition?

Will the plugin be free or do you have to pay for it?

Why is there a cut off instead of a transition? I'm just wondering about the release with the public version of Unity instead of having it in the beta phase.

Will you put live link from substance share as well on the store?
Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 12:39:58 pm

Hello. I'm also interested to find out more about this. I've built an asset over the course of 2.5 years based solely on procedural materials so finding out it's deprecated when my asset has just been released is a bit disconcerting. At the same time, I hope that it can bring 4k+ textures, GPU and 16 bit/channel support. As Rowlan asked, will it be free (I suspect and hope it will be as it is with UE4 I believe) and will it be smooth for users to enable substance support?

I would also be very interested in a beta as soon as possible so I can have a chance to offer 2018.x support as soon as it becomes publicly available.

This is excellent news!! Unity's lag in adding support for the SD6 format was pretty extreme.

I hope this means GPU engine support!!  ;D

Yes! This was real trouble for us and our hands were tied. No more issues like this in the future : )

What exactly does this mean for asset developers who use Substances? I guess the assets won't work out of the box then anymore, don't they?

Are asset developers allowed to include this plugin like they do with e. g. the postprocessing stack or parts of the standard assets unitypackage? Or will downloading the plugin from the store become a precondition?

Will the plugin be free or do you have to pay for it?

Why is there a cut off instead of a transition? I'm just wondering about the release with the public version of Unity instead of having it in the beta phase.

Will you put live link from substance share as well on the store?

The plugin will be free : ) No worries there. I am trying to get you answers on how this affects Asset Store creators since a user may not have the substance plugin.

The asset store plugin will include the Substance Engine, Live Link and Substance Source in a single package. We are releasing Live Link and Source on the Asset Store now and the engine will be added when 2018.1 releases.

Cheers,
wes

Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 07:31:47 pm

Okay, very confused...

I upgrade to Unity 2018.1.0b8.  All my models are pink, and I get the error messages saying Substance designer support has been removed. Please download the plugin from the asset store.

No mention is made of what the plugin is actually called, so I can't find anything doing searches for Allegorithmic or substance designer.

So I go to the Allegorithmic site and find old links and blog posts about a substance plugin and finally find the supposed support on my download page. I download Source.unitypackage and import it. Nothing...

More digging until I find these forum posts. Wes says the plugin will be on the asset store with the release of 2018.1, so I search again and finally find the asset called "Substance in Unity". Not the most intuitive name and gets buried when doing a search for "Substance".

So I import the asset and restart. Now I have a bunch of errors about duplicates. Manually delete everything that I can find pertaining to substance and start again. Now I finally have a "Substance" tab on my menu bar, but all that's there is a link to the substance store.

More digging, and I see an obscure mention on a post that says that there is a roadmap and that not all features will be available with 2018.1 right away, but again, very buried and various contradictions.

So... What's actually going on, where are we at, and what do I do about all the pink in my project? Do I wait? Do I dump substance all together? Will I have to start over again anyway and recreate all these materials from scratch? Will it just magically fix everything once whatever it is you have to fix is finally released on the asset store? Is there an eta on this? (it was said that this would work with 2018, but I guess you just meant that I could purchase your substance assets, not use my own)

And why isn't there better clarity on your main pages about this rather than being buried in these forums? At the very least on my Allegorithmic customer download page, there should be a lot more clarity as to what I'm getting with that "Substance support for Unity" download. Having something there AND on the asset store with no real descriptions really isn't helping things.

I get that things will break, especially with beta builds, and progress takes time, but in this day and age of instant web page updates, blogs, forums, etc, bad/unclear communication is another thing entirely. Clear communication and proper management of customer expectations is as important, of not more so, than fixing the bugs.

Bottom line: How/when do I get my textures working again?

Okay, very confused...

I upgrade to Unity 2018.1.0b8.  All my models are pink, and I get the error messages saying Substance designer support has been removed. Please download the plugin from the asset store.

No mention is made of what the plugin is actually called, so I can't find anything doing searches for Allegorithmic or substance designer.

So I go to the Allegorithmic site and find old links and blog posts about a substance plugin and finally find the supposed support on my download page. I download Source.unitypackage and import it. Nothing...

More digging until I find these forum posts. Wes says the plugin will be on the asset store with the release of 2018.1, so I search again and finally find the asset called "Substance in Unity". Not the most intuitive name and gets buried when doing a search for "Substance".

So I import the asset and restart. Now I have a bunch of errors about duplicates. Manually delete everything that I can find pertaining to substance and start again. Now I finally have a "Substance" tab on my menu bar, but all that's there is a link to the substance store.

More digging, and I see an obscure mention on a post that says that there is a roadmap and that not all features will be available with 2018.1 right away, but again, very buried and various contradictions.

So... What's actually going on, where are we at, and what do I do about all the pink in my project? Do I wait? Do I dump substance all together? Will I have to start over again anyway and recreate all these materials from scratch? Will it just magically fix everything once whatever it is you have to fix is finally released on the asset store? Is there an eta on this? (it was said that this would work with 2018, but I guess you just meant that I could purchase your substance assets, not use my own)

And why isn't there better clarity on your main pages about this rather than being buried in these forums? At the very least on my Allegorithmic customer download page, there should be a lot more clarity as to what I'm getting with that "Substance support for Unity" download. Having something there AND on the asset store with no real descriptions really isn't helping things.

I get that things will break, especially with beta builds, and progress takes time, but in this day and age of instant web page updates, blogs, forums, etc, bad/unclear communication is another thing entirely. Clear communication and proper management of customer expectations is as important, of not more so, than fixing the bugs.

Bottom line: How/when do I get my textures working again?

Hi,

Very sorry for the confusion. We will have a Substance plugin available on the Unity Asset Store at the official Unity 2018.1 release.

Currently we have a Substance in Unity package which contains Substance Source and Live Link with Painter.
https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/substance-in-unity-110555

The Substance Source functionality requires Substance engine which is not available in the beta builds of 2018.

Substance Source plugin: get 1000+ high-quality tweakable and plug-and-play PBR materials. (Currently not available in Unity 2018 beta)

Substance Painter live link: create a direct connection between Substance Painter and the Unity viewport for a fully streamlined authoring experience and real-time updates.

The Painter live link does work with the 2018.1 beta builds.

At this time, we don't have a way for Substances to work in 2018.1 beta builds. Our support is coming in the official release. The package on the Asset store will be updated with the engine support at the official release of 2018.1

Cheers,
Wes
Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:46:02 pm