Author Topic: substance is different in Unity  (Read 103 times)

Hey all!
Working on a game and uses substance designer to create some procedural materials, though they end up coming out different in Unity than in Substance (and not just render differences). If you see the photo under, you can see that in Unity the wall panels gets some artifacts. Does anyone have any idea of what causes this?

I suspect it has something to do with my bolt mask, but cannot see exactly what would cause it:

I am using Designer 2017.2.1 with Compatability Mode: Substance Enginge v5 and Unity 5.6.3f1

Thanks in advance guys ^^

--  SOLVED (Or found the issue) --
Managed to reproduce the results from Unity in Substance, but just altering a Histogram Scan node seemed to fix it. Resizing or scaling on the document made the artifact return, but if I again just changed a bit on the sliders of the histogram scan node, it fixed itself. A bug?

The little problem causer
Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:31:26 pm

Substance has a cpu and a gpu engine. Unity uses the cpu engine for substances, so make sure you also use the cpu engine in designer to get the same results. You can switch engine in designer through tools>switch engine and selecting SSE2.
Esger van der Post.
Game design student and texturing addict.

Is it possible your Bolt pattern and the "rectangles" pattern are scaled differently?
Maybe "Relative to parent" vs. a fixed "1024" size?
Hobbyist

Substance has a cpu and a gpu engine. Unity uses the cpu engine for substances, so make sure you also use the cpu engine in designer to get the same results. You can switch engine in designer through tools>switch engine and selecting SSE2.
Thx for the tip, nice to know  ;) though it doesn't reproduce the artifacts I get in Unity though, soi can't use it to find the error.

Is it possible your Bolt pattern and the "rectangles" pattern are scaled differently?
Maybe "Relative to parent" vs. a fixed "1024" size?
The substance is already using relative to parent for everything, just that the parent in this case is set to 1024. The parent size is also set to 1024 in Unity, so that is sadly not the problem

Never mind, suddently that reproduced the same artifact, makes it easier to find out what's wrong. Thx :)

When you switch engine to check for differences, you may need to clear the texture cache (F5) to force the graph to be re-rendered from scratch, otherwise it may reuse some of the results that were computed with the previous engine, which may explain why you did not see any difference the first time you tried,

SOLVED (Or found the issue).
Managed to reproduce the results from Unity in Substance, but just altering a Histogram Scan node seemed to fix it. Resizing or scaling on the document made the artifact return, but if I again just changed a bit on the sliders of the histogram scan node, it fixed itself. A bug?

The little problem causer

thx for the help guys ^^