Author Topic: baking error: uv sets are not visible  (Read 309 times)

Hello!

I am trying to come up with a scan processing workflow for home projects and one of the things I am trying is to use Designer as my baking program. Now, what I did as a first test was to get a simple rock scan that I did, make a low poly (in Modo), uv it and export it to Designer.

However, here is where I hit the first problem. I am completely new to baking in Designer but I understand how it is supposed to work. The problem I hit is that it seems like it can't detect the uvs on the model.

I have tried to switch to UV set 1 and 2 but I just get the same error... Probably it's something very simple I am missing but I can't figure it out... Any idea what the issue might be?

Thank you for your time!
Dan

Edit: in case it helps in any way or shape, here is how the uvs look in Modo, before exporting

Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:45:42 pm

Hi

Can you attach your low poly mesh?

Also, which SD version are you using?
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

Hey!
Here is the lp attached.
Ok... scrap that.. I ll pass it via google drive
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Evm9ee1pOEvnUGXz2ZqcQN-I_4E0zH9F

SD version: 2017.2.2
Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:51:31 pm

Ok... so here are a few finds after doing a bunch of tests...
.fbx meshes are working. I didn t change anything except the format I exported in.
I got .objs working as well but when exported from Zbrush... which is very weird... All I did was import in zbrush the obj I exported from Modo and just export it again... (I would try from another 3D app like Maya or Max but I don't have either of them installed).
So at this point I am very lost and confused... I assume there is something that modo is doing to the obj that doesn't make sense for SD... but why and what?

Edit: As a parallel question, I thought that you can convert an object space normal to a tangent in Designer by using the World Space Direction baker.. was I wrong? I tried it and it gives me a very weird result...
Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 02:29:24 pm

It looks SD can't decode the UV information from the Modo obj file. We'll take a look.

For the parallel question, you can indeed convert object space normal to tangent using the World Space Direction, just set the "Input Direction" to "From texture" and set the tangent space normal as the "Direction" File.

If you encounter a problem please create a new thread :)

We've just fixed this bug for the upcoming 2017.2.3 release.