Author Topic: Trying to follow wood planks tutorial on academy  (Read 1037 times)

It  says this was posted dec 2017 and I am only at marker 4:24 on "Aged Wood Planks: 01 - Creating the wood pattern" and it calls for "wood fibers" and there are not any in the latest version of designer - so how to follow along?

You are creating your own wood fibres in this tutorial using Grunge maps from library, (grunge 005 and grunge 011 i think) these will be your base for creating your own.

Grunge map 005 is for Fibres

Grunge map 011 is for Cracks

Have a look through your library the grunge maps are most definitely there

Hope this helps :)

It  says this was posted dec 2017 and I am only at marker 4:24 on "Aged Wood Planks: 01 - Creating the wood pattern" and it calls for "wood fibers" and there are not any in the latest version of designer - so how to follow along?

Hey Wes,

Sorry for the confusion on this. The application made some changes to the noises after I had recorded the tutorial. There is a text in the video where I mention the wood fibers that indicates the new noise to use. (3:53 in the video) Wood fibers is now Directional Noise 1 with an angle of 90.

Cheers,
wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I decided to come back to this and give it another try, Thanks for the heads up on the text message giving the fix.

But now I am having another problem Wes with the bevel node. When I try to drag the height the normal comes along subsequently it will not connect to the background node of blend at marker  17:59 of the aged wood planks tutorial - this is the second project I have been unable to continue because of the bevel node not functionally correctly. Any suggestions? I am on a mac.
Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:49:06 pm

figured it out!!

figured it out!!

Sorry for the late reply on this. I think the issue was that you were in Material Mode (3 key on keyboard). Tapping the 1 key will put you in standard mode and you can then make any connections. Some nodes are looking for very specific connections and it can get in the way sometimes.

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

yes thats right - thanks