Author Topic: Mask Map Treshold not working correctly.  (Read 532 times)

If I put my mask map Treshold of the Nail Tile Sampler to 1, I get a black texture? As soon is I switch the Treshold from 0.86 to 0.87 the white holes disappear. Snapshots are attatched. Can you help me?

Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:24:19 pm

If I put my mask map Treshold of the Nail Tile Sampler to 1, I get a black texture? As soon is I switch the Treshold from 0.86 to 0.87 the white holes disappear. Snapshots are attatched. Can you help me?

Hi,

This looks like it could be a difference between the GPU and CPU Substance engine. If I go to Tools>Switch Engine to SSE2 (CPU) then a mask map value of 1 results in a black image. Under SSE2, I can set the threshold to anything between 0-1 to get the correct result (0.01 - .99). The CPU and GPU can have numerical precision differences in the computation.

Most of the integrations support both CPU and GPU engine. GPU engine is usually faster to compute. However, if you are using Unity, you are better off using the CPU engine as Unity only supports CPU engine at this time.

Cheers,
Wes
Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:37:52 pm
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi,

This looks like it could be a difference between the GPU and CPU Substance engine. If I go to Tools>Switch Engine to SSE2 (CPU) then a mask map value of 1 results in a black image. Under SSE2, I can set the threshold to anything between 0-1 to get the correct result (0.01 - .99). The CPU and GPU can have numerical precision differences in the computation.

Most of the integrations support both CPU and GPU engine. GPU engine is usually faster to compute. However, if you are using Unity, you are better off using the CPU engine as Unity only supports CPU engine at this time.

Cheers,
Wes

Thanks for the answer Wes. I tried changing the Engine, but this didn't solve me problem. The texture is still changing to black when switching the Treshold to 0,87. Would it be a problem if I jsut leave the Treshold as it is (0,5 for example).
The functions are still working!

Hi,

Cheers,
Wes

Thanks for the answer Wes. I tried changing the Engine, but this didn't solve me problem. The texture is still changing to black when switching the Treshold to 0,87. Would it be a problem if I jsut leave the Treshold as it is (0,5 for example).
The functions are still working!

No problem : ) I'm not sure why the number would be different, but it's ok to leave the threshold at the value that works for you. I didn't set the value to be something specific which is needed to not break the substance. You are fine to set it to the value that works : ) That will not cause any problems.

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja