Author Topic: Color output issues.  (Read 1666 times)

HI!, So i've made a sample scene here to better illustrate my problem.

I dropped a uniform color on this cube, and exposed it, so I could tweak it further in Modo. I've got those options on the right selected. Most importantly, SRGB. Because Thats what I normally do in Photoshop to get the colors to match just right.

I then publish the sbsar with these settings.

then after all that is said and done, I go ahead and create my substance and load up the Sbsar file in Modo.

As you can see, The color from the "output Color" in the bottom right, is no where near close to the color I"m getting in the render.  And further more, when I put a material on the sphere with the same color, THe sphere matches.

This makes me think I'm clearly doing something incorrectly on the export from Substance Designer. I also couldn't find any one else having the same issue as me, (or I wasn't wording my search correctly). I'm really not sure what's going on , Please help! :D

I'd prefer the Color picker in Modo to be accurate.

Update: If i go to images and switch the colorspace to Linear it works, but I dont want to have to do that. How can I fix this on the Substance Designer side?

Any body else have this issue?

Anyone seeing this?

Hi,

In modo with color management enabled, the color swatches and picker can be affected. This is similar to the sRGB button on the Uniform color in Designer. This really comes down to how the value is displayed. In the modo integration, we hardcode the base color to be sRGB which is the correct setting regardless of the setting in Modo's color management.

With Modo's Color Management set to "Affect color picker and swatches" you are seeing the exposed output color in linear. You will get the same color value in Designer if you disable the sRGB button for the Uniform color in Designer. The Output value in Designer's 2D view and the output of the Substance in Modo's Image Viewer will produce the same result. In the modo image viewer image, you can see the resulting output is in the correct color in sRGB which is what is fed to the shader.

If you do disable the "Affect color picker and swatches" it will be ok as we are internally flagging the output. However, a better way to work would be to set the Display Color Management for the color picker to Linear as shown in the final attached image. This will give you the same color display values and this way you don't have to mess with the color preferences.

Cheers,

Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi,

In modo with color management enabled, the color swatches and picker can be affected. This is similar to the sRGB button on the Uniform color in Designer. This really comes down to how the value is displayed. In the modo integration, we hardcode the base color to be sRGB which is the correct setting regardless of the setting in Modo's color management.

With Modo's Color Management set to "Affect color picker and swatches" you are seeing the exposed output color in linear. You will get the same color value in Designer if you disable the sRGB button for the Uniform color in Designer. The Output value in Designer's 2D view and the output of the Substance in Modo's Image Viewer will produce the same result. In the modo image viewer image, you can see the resulting output is in the correct color in sRGB which is what is fed to the shader.

If you do disable the "Affect color picker and swatches" it will be ok as we are internally flagging the output. However, a better way to work would be to set the Display Color Management for the color picker to Linear as shown in the final attached image. This will give you the same color display values and this way you don't have to mess with the color preferences.

Cheers,

Wes

Thanks for getting back to me Wes. What you described makes sense and works as described, thank you. Follow up. Is there anyway that display change, and keep it to one material, and not a global change.
What I mean is I have two materials, using the same hexcode. R-.32 G-.47 B-.62

But they look different.

Hi,

Cheers,

Wes

Thanks for getting back to me Wes. What you described makes sense and works as described, thank you. Follow up. Is there anyway that display change, and keep it to one material, and not a global change.
What I mean is I have two materials, using the same hexcode. R-.32 G-.47 B-.62

But they look different.

No problem : ) Glad that helped. For the material, are you using the same code for just setting a modo material and a substance but get different results? In your screen shot, you have a modo material selected and you set the color.

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja