Author Topic: Top 3 - Feedback from the Jury  (Read 3031 times)

Hi all,

We received some requests to publish the feedbacks from the jury for the top 3 titans, so here they are :)
Those are the feedbacks from 4 members of the jury, we will post the rest ASAP.

Rank #1- Unchained Titan by Nicolas Garilhe

Feedback From Wes McDermott:

Creativity:
I like the different aspect of the "chained titan" were as even though he is enormous, he was subdued. Whereas the typical use of this type of character is unstoppable giant. It adds character and motivation for him to get even! 

Workflow:
Great combination of material creation in SD and painting in SP. Excellent zbrush work. 

Execution:
Good mix of muted and bright colors. Very nice detail. I would have liked to see more detail in the eyes to further enhance this great character.  It looks as though the metal channel is pure black. The metal is dirty and oxidized so the metal value would need to be low, but it seems metal parts are not indicated as metal.   

Substance:
Very good substance graphs. It looks like AO is multipled into the diffuse, which can cause issue in PBR. But looks like this was for cavity areas which is good. The diffuse map dark values look to be in correct range. Nice work!

Feedback from Brad Smith:
There's some great silhouette choices happening in the design here; The mix of organic, man-made and ornate makes for some great texture and material variation. While the accuracy of shading maps like roughness, metallic and ambient occlusion could be improved, the overall material response breakup across the character makes for some pleasing surface definition and breakup.   

Feedback from John Chalfant:

Scoring:
5: Excellent
4: Good
3: Fair
2: Poor
1: Spend money at vfx/animation/arts school of your choosing.

Creativity: 5
Workflow: 3
Execution: 4
Substance Usage: 5
Total: 17

The design of this entry is very interesting and I gave it high marks for creativity. The attention to detail is good. I really liked the spiral eyes, stone looking face, metal jaw, and metal collar. Though I am unsure if the smudgy looking shapes in the air are supposed to be birds flying around it? It feels as if they are but the attention to detail here was lacking. Also the various elements of the design seemed to be a bit squashed together.
There's also something about those horns, they feel stretched and curved into place, not grown into place. The pose feels a little like he's supposed to be taking a step forward but we don't see feet so that's hard to read. Looking at the model I see he really has no feet so that feels a little odd too, especially considering how heavy he looks. Edge flow looks good, but it is hard to the judge worth of this without seeing an animation cycle. Nice use of multiple elements; metal, rock, grass, etc.
Workflow wise there looked to be a few too many different UV sets. For real time purposes you probably could have optimized face counts more, but for sample stills this looks great. I really liked checking out your substance graphs these were very clean and clearly laid out. Overall great entry, you should be very proud congrats on 1st place!

Feedback from Jarred Everson
I really love the nice execution of color, scale, and design in Nicolas piece. It strikes a nice balance of all three of these elements, and the presentation is exceptional.

Rank #2 Ugarok by Gregory Strangis

Feedback From Wes McDermott
Creativity:
Amazing work. I like the aspect that this titan can become a gentle giant. I like that he's not a monster and there is a human elemet to the character.

Workflow:
Great use of reference collection and sculpting. The overall forms and detail really sell the image.

Execution:
I think the portrayal of character is definitly shown in the forms and detail. I like the muted color with warm tones to further humanize the character. Very refreshing over mechs and monsters. In the metal map, there are areas indicated as metal that are not shown as metal in the diffuse. It looks as though the character is made of rock, dirt and moss. This character should have a black metal map for PBR.

Substance:
I wasn't sure about the substance usage. I couldn't find information on how substance was used in the forum posts.   

This guy stands out. Not just because he’s huge, but because of the all the the attention to detail. There’s plenty here to ponder over for quite some time. While the textures transitions, paint and shading could better accent the forms and material definitions happening here, the overall impression is still a strong one. The recognizable plants, objects and the companion character really help provide a frame of reference for the viewer as the enormity of this guy. Smart decision.

Creativity: 5
Workflow: 4
Execution: 4
Substance Usage: 4
Total: 17

What I liked most about this entry is the creativity of the work, it struck me as an original concept with good attention to detail. The sense of scale is quite good. The landscape details gave this titan a great sense of epic size, they do however feel a little too chaotically painted on top of the anatomy. This made the anatomy and the design a little odd to look at. I think if there was more thought put into the structure of the design, maybe aligning all the landscapes to a specific orientation up vs down or horizontal vs vertical this would have helped. The pose/presentation felt a little odd as the titan seems like it should be looking at the girl in his hand but that did not register well in the sample still provided. The girl was a great touch btw! I felt the UV layout could have been optimized more. The edge flow is good, but hard to judge without seeing an animation cycle. For real time purposes you probably could have achieved the same results with less face counts, but for sample stills this looks great. The substance graphs are cleanly laid out and easy to follow.
Overall great entry, you should be very proud, congratulations
on 2nd place!

Gregory's Titan really sold the scale of this behemoth to me, more than any other entry. I love the use of cacti and running streams.

Rank #3 - Oceanus by Eddie Munoz

Feedback from Wes McDermott:
Creativity:
Very nice character, I like the aquatic focus which is much different. Also, I like the contrast between fish and human.

Workflow:
Great workflow, starting traditional with concept sketching and color mockups before diving into 3D.

Execution:
The character is realized very well. Lighting and color grading also contribute to the aquatic nature of the character. In terms of the final maps for PBR, the diffuse has too dark values. The areas indicated as metal in the metal map have their corresponding values for the metal reflectance much too dark.

Substance:
It looks as though Substance was used more secondary, which is actually fine. For this character, many pipeline tools where used and Substance fits into this as well. 

This is just fun! The design is already powerful and full of movement, but when combined with the dynamic pose, the character narrative becomes clear. While the diffuse and specular maps look far too dark on their own; the results from the translucency and lighting on the pleasantly stylized forms call attention to some of the well sculpted areas throughout the character.

Creativity 2
Workflow 4
Execution 3
Substance Usage 4
Total 13

My name is John Chalfant it's an honor to judge your work. What I liked most about this entry was the workflow and the substance usage, the graphs were clearly presented and interesting to look through. The textures were very nicely done and the UVs were very well laid out. I love the details in the fleshy skin and the metallic looking shell/armor. Great looking shaders! Creatively this was a cool entry, however to me the anatomy felt odd as I don't think this titan could close his mouth yet the design looks like it should be possible.
Also the fins(?) look like they should have been sharper, many were dull tipped and this felt like it conflicted with the threatening nature of the design. I get from the name of this entry and the manta-rays that this is supposed to be a water dwelling titan but to me it felt a bit like an armored sci-fi space alien. While the poses were great, (very dynamic), the dof was way over the top and made the presentation of the work feel small rather than epic. The edge flow is good, but hard to judge without seeing an animation cycle. For real time purposes you probably could have optimized face counts a bit more, but for sample stills this looks great.

Overall it is a very interesting entry, you should be very proud, congratulations on 3rd place!

Eddie's Titan had a great story, and a well balanced armor and skin materials.
Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:34:53 am
Director of Product Management & COO

Thank you!!! The feed back is very much welcomed! Thank you to everyone who took the time to write!

Really interesting read! Wish more on other characters!