Author Topic: Aged Wood Planks  (Read 1884 times)

I'm trying to follow the aged wood planks tutorial here: https://tutorials.allegorithmic.com/courses/01229d3d82a6bde31c283e1a7a244765/youtube-vLz8ZyduQi0

I know there are a few issues following this one using 2017.2 but I can't seem to figure out how to fix this one.  When I'm creating the base shape for the planks in the tile generator, the normals get a bunch of banding artifacts that I can't seem to get rid of:

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

I'm trying to follow the aged wood planks tutorial here: https://tutorials.allegorithmic.com/courses/01229d3d82a6bde31c283e1a7a244765/youtube-vLz8ZyduQi0

I know there are a few issues following this one using 2017.2 but I can't seem to figure out how to fix this one.  When I'm creating the base shape for the planks in the tile generator, the normals get a bunch of banding artifacts that I can't seem to get rid of:

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Hi,

Please check the  data coming from the tile generator into the normal node. If it's set to 8 bit, then this would cause the normal map to have banding artifacts.

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks Wes!  I thought that might be the problem but when I checked the nodes the 8 bit dropdown was greyed out because it was set to Relative to Parent.  If I change this to Absolute in the Tile Generator, then I can change it to 16 bit and the problem is solved!  But is it ok to set the Tile Generator to Absolute here?  I just want to make sure I won't cause myself more problems further along in this tutorial :)

Thanks Wes!  I thought that might be the problem but when I checked the nodes the 8 bit dropdown was greyed out because it was set to Relative to Parent.  If I change this to Absolute in the Tile Generator, then I can change it to 16 bit and the problem is solved!  But is it ok to set the Tile Generator to Absolute here?  I just want to make sure I won't cause myself more problems further along in this tutorial :)

No problem : ) It's ok to set it on the Tile Generator. It should be set to relative to parent by default I think and the base graph could then be set to 16 bit. However, if you want to be optimized, you can do it manually on the tile generator so you control the 16 bit to be just for the normal.

Cheers,
Wes

That makes sense, thanks so much for your help!  :)

That makes sense, thanks so much for your help!  :)

You are most welcome : )

anyone else having this issue?

anyone else having this issue?

Use slope blur grayscale :)

Hi
I am having difficulty with the tile sampler. I am able to get the disk image in the tiles as shown in image planks1. However when I use the map mask threshold to "1", I obtain a black image, see image in attached file plank2.
I am using the most recent designer.
Please help. Thank you.

Here are my takes on that tutorial, feel free to compare them against what you're doing to see if you can spot anything obvious.

I know its been over a year since this tutorial was made but I've been trying to put my version of the wood into Unity

I am using the student version of substance designer.

How can I make the material Unity compatible? If there is no solution that's fine, I am still in the process of learning substance, how can I avoid making uncomfortable materials in the future?

Importing the material also seems to have changed the material (Such as the roughness map not being used. The Nails vanish from all outputs, making the metallic map completely blank and the Albedo (base colour) looks just as it would if I hadn't included the nails)

(The below image shows the Unity vs Substance Designer previews. Below that is the Substance designer images and then what they look like in Unity.)

Thank you for your time
Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:00:06 am

This is my first attempt to do Designer with no previous experience.
I do not have, Perlin Noise Zoom or wood fibres as options