Author Topic: Breaking Texture Repetition in Substance Designer  (Read 324 times)

(I just posted the same thread into the SD beginner section, i hope to get more answers on this thread :) so I'm sorry for this sort of repost)

Hey there :)

just began to learn some Substance Designer.
I created the rusty metal floor substance with the "Substance Designer Getting Started" playlist and imported the sbs file into Arnold render.

The substance works perfectly fine, but the dirt seems to be quite repetitive.
I was wondering if there is a way to "randomly" generate the dirt for each tile to break the texture repetition or some sort of workaround for that?

Cheers,
Rob :)

if you share a screenshot of your graph, it might be easier to get assistance

not sure if you are tiling the texture in Arnold, or if the substance itself is tiling

Hey, thanks for your help!

I just tried out to tile the texture in Unreal Engine 4 aswell.
I tiled the texture in Arnold & UE4, not in the Substance graph.
This might be a pretty newbie question now, but is there a way to set the UV Tiling for a substance in the Designer Graph?
I guess this might help me solve this repetition problem.
(I know i could make the metal pattern smaller, etc., but one little UV Tiling option would be nice)

Cheers, Rob :)

There are several ways to visualize your tiling inside of Designer :

You can visualize the tiling of the current displayed node :

You can also increase the tiling value of your material

This two options won't change your outputs.

This option will directly change your outputs.

Hope it helps  :)
Q.A Analyst

Hey luc.chamerlat.allegorithmic,

So in short: you should rather "Retile" your substance instead of Scaling the UVs in the renderer, or else you will notice Texture Repetition. thanks alot for your help. This is actually exactly what I was looking for :)

Cheers,
Rob  :)
Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 01:51:36 pm

@Rockingrob,

It's a trade-off, depending on your needs.  Doing the tiling inside Substance Designer is not always the correct solution.  Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

Supposed your "texture" is going to be 1024x1024.
You start with a great, wonderfully detailed texture.  It looks great.
Then you tile it 10x inside Designer.
Now each original "tile" is approximately 102x102 pixels (1/10th of 1024x1024).
If you zoom in on one of those tiles, it will be pixelated and low-resolution.

But...
On the other hand, you take the original 1024x1024 texture into the renderer.
Tile it 10x in the renderer.
It will repeat the original texture over and over again, but still has the original 1024x1024 resolution.
Now if you zoom in on one of those tile, it is still full-resolution and beautiful.

Also, in the renderer, you can most likely tile the base material, and then overlay some other channel, a "grunge" or "noise" channel, but not tile the overlay.  That can help avoid the "obviously repeating" patterns of having the same stains and scratches appear again and again.

SUMMARY:  Two ways to tile, each with pros and cons.
Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 02:26:59 pm
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html