Author Topic: Green Normal Map from SD in Unity 2018.2.1f1 - WHY!?  (Read 192 times)

I'm a beginner user and I need help. I've tried publishing the substance with both DirectX and OpenGL normals and I don't know why this is happening. Does it have something to do with the Colour Space???

Please help me.

The normal map setting wasn't a design decision. Unfortunately with an external plugin, Unity doesn't provide access to the dxt_nm compression which is what is used when Unity flags a texture as normal. For the plugin, the best option was for us to use BC5 compression which is lossless. It provides better quality over dxt5.

We will look at an option for supporting normal maps for terrain in the future.

Cheers,
Wes

I believe it is just a result of the Substance integration moving to a plugin instead of being natively integrated. It may look weird, but everything should work as expected.

The normal map setting wasn't a design decision. Unfortunately with an external plugin, Unity doesn't provide access to the dxt_nm compression which is what is used when Unity flags a texture as normal. For the plugin, the best option was for us to use BC5 compression which is lossless. It provides better quality over dxt5.

We will look at an option for supporting normal maps for terrain in the future.

Cheers,
Wes

I believe it is just a result of the Substance integration moving to a plugin instead of being natively integrated. It may look weird, but everything should work as expected.

This is correct. We don't have access to Unity's normal format. We ended up using BC5 compression as it gives a better quality result than DTX. However, BC5 doesn't have a blue channel so that is why the normal looks green/yellow. The quality is actually better, just looks different when viewing the texture.

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thank you SO MUCH. I really appreciate it! :D

Thank you SO MUCH. I really appreciate it! :D

No problem : )

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com