Author Topic: Custom Material Creation?  (Read 2328 times)

I did a search and didn't find an answer to this question so hopefully it's not a double post.

I wanted to know if it's possible to create a custom Material for use with Substance painter - I want to create a Carbon Fiber material which i can use for an asset I'm working on.  I already have the texture maps for the Carbon Fiber created (Alpha, Gloss, Normal, Diffuse) but i want to turn them into a Material that i can use within Substance Painter.

When i looked through the tutorials i noticed there was a way to create a custom Substance Effect via Designer then port it over to Painter but i want an actual Material.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

If your material is based on a Substance you can import it directly in Substance Painter using File -> Import Substance.
Then, just drag n'drop it from the shelf to the "Substance material mode" slot of your material.

If it's bitmaps, here are the steps:
- Import them (using File -> Import image).
- Select a material in the shelf ("uniform cobalt" for example).
- Drag n'drop bitmaps (or click on) corresponding slots.
- Then you can right click in the "Tool - Paint" window and save your material.

Remember you can also directly use your material in a fill layer (if you don't need to paint it using a tool like brush, projection for example).

Some more details:
For now SP is based on roughness/metallic PBR workflow so if you need to visualize what you paint be sure to import this kind of maps.
A normal map can be applied to all the model (in Edit -> Project configuration) but if you need to paint it in SP, you'll have to import a height map instead of a normal map.
Technical Artist - Product Manager