Author Topic: Substance Source - No 16bit Hightmap option  (Read 226 times)

I'm fairly new to using substance source in the C4D R19 Asset Manager rendering Vray3.6.

When I make my own sbsar out of designer I specify 16bit for hightmaps and use it for displacement. It works perfectly for my purposes. However, I just loaded up a sbsar from Substance source and to my great sadness its locked at 8bit and vray renders banding in the displacement channel  :'(  When I bring it into designer, all perimeters are locked.

Not being able to use substance source for displacement is a big bummer if this is the case. let me know if you've had similar issue - would love to hear if there's a solution.

Yes I have experienced this in MANY of the materials on Source.  My solution is to either use painter (since most of the time I don't want a repeating texture across my model anyway, so I paint, randomize, paint, randomize, rinse and repeat...)

On some materials you can open them in Designer and alter the outputs to L16..but it doesn't always help when using the substance materials directly inside C4D. 

There appears to be something wrong with the way C4D's Substance integration interprets displacement info.

I thought maybe it was just a Redshift issue (the engine I use), because usually when I do a render using Physical, the banding is not present.

I'm curious if you ever found a good work-around?