Author Topic: DISPARITY IN VISUALS  (Read 199 times)

I don't find any setting for this issue in the forum:

When textures created in Substance Painter are displayed in Unity, it looks enormously different, what is the best setting to make the Unity´s visuals looks almost the same than SP?

I hope someone could help.

Thanks.

When textures created in Substance Painter are displayed in Unity, it looks enormously different, what is the best setting to make the Unity´s visuals looks almost the same than SP?

Thanks.

Hi,

Can you post some screen shots of what you are getting. There shouldn't be a large visual difference. It could be that the maps are not being interpreted correctly in Unity. In Unity, do you have sRGB unchecked for the grayscale maps imported from Painter?

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks.

I attach the pic showing simultaneously the same mesh in Painter and Unity through the integration plugin. Both have an hdri background pointing in the same direction of the mesh, and then applied a texture Gold from Substance Source, and the result in Unity is like having "dirt" in the surface. I tried with several materials and smart materials and the difference is always notable. It would greatly be knowing how to set Unity to "compensate" the differences between rendering engines.

Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rlrbbfdppcmxg2i/DifferentSurface.PNG?dl=0

Thanks.

I attach the pic showing simultaneously the same mesh in Painter and Unity through the integration plugin. Both have an hdri background pointing in the same direction of the mesh, and then applied a texture Gold from Substance Source, and the result in Unity is like having "dirt" in the surface. I tried with several materials and smart materials and the difference is always notable. It would greatly be knowing how to set Unity to "compensate" the differences between rendering engines.

Thanks.

Hi,

This looks like the roughness map is not being interpreted correctly in Unity. You need to uncheck the sRGB box on the texture in the Unity inspector.

Cheers,
Wes

Thanks.

Thanks.

Hi,

This looks like the roughness map is not being interpreted correctly in Unity. You need to uncheck the sRGB box on the texture in the Unity inspector.

Cheers,
Wes

By default, Unity´s materials use Smoothness rather than Roughness (attached photo), so I lowered the Smoothness from 1 to 0.5 and I solved the issue.
Anyway your response made me acknolwedge where was the problem, so thanks a lot !!

Rafa,

Thanks.

Thanks.

Hi,

Cheers,
Wes

By default, Unity´s materials use Smoothness rather than Roughness (attached photo), so I lowered the Smoothness from 1 to 0.5 and I solved the issue.
Anyway your response made me acknolwedge where was the problem, so thanks a lot !!

Rafa,

Hi Rafa,

Lowering the smoothness is not the best way to fix the issue. You should export a "smoothness" map from Painter. If you export using the Unity Standard metal preset, it will convert roughness to glossiness and pack this into the alpha of the metallic map. Did you use this preset?

Cheers,
Wes

Thanks.

Thanks.

Hi,

Cheers,
Wes

Rafa,

Hi Wes,

Lowering the smoothness is not the best way to fix the issue. You should export a "smoothness" map from Painter. If you export using the Unity Standard metal preset, it will convert roughness to glossiness and pack this into the alpha of the metallic map. Did you use this preset?

Cheers,
Wes

Hi Wes,

I didn´t know about this smoothness integration in the alpha channel of metallic map, and I guess I am already exporting these textures in this way because I use Live Link Substance Painter - Unity plugin, and I don´t know the Texture Settings that use this plugin for exporting. ? but in the auto exporter Metallic map you can read MetallicSmoothness (photo).

Furthermore, I realized that the plugin automatically "drag and drop" the texture maps into their Unity´s material socket box, but only 3 of them: Albedo, Metallic, and Normal, but the AO and Height maps are not automatically used (they appear in the automatically created in Unity SP_Textures folder) despite you can manually drag and drop them. I do not know untill what point it can influences.

So question: ¿Is there anyway of setting Live Link Substance Painter - Unity plugin to automatically export in Unity 5 Standard Metallic way? or any another personalized setting?

Rafa,

Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:25:11 am

Thanks.

Thanks.

Hi,

Cheers,
Wes

Rafa,

Hi Wes,

Cheers,
Wes

Hi Wes,

I didn´t know about this smoothness integration in the alpha channel of metallic map, and I guess I am already exporting these textures in this way because I use Live Link Substance Painter - Unity plugin, and I don´t know the Texture Settings that use this plugin for exporting. ? but in the auto exporter Metallic map you can read MetallicSmoothness (photo).

Furthermore, I realized that the plugin automatically "drag and drop" the texture maps into their Unity´s material socket box, but only 3 of them: Albedo, Metallic, and Normal, but the AO and Height maps are not automatically used (they appear in the automatically created in Unity SP_Textures folder) despite you can manually drag and drop them. I do not know untill what point it can influences.

So question: ¿Is there anyway of setting Live Link Substance Painter - Unity plugin to automatically export in Unity 5 Standard Metallic way? or any another personalized setting?

Rafa,

Hi Rafa,

Currently we don't have a solution for the AO and Height. We have tickets to address these workflow issues. We need to make sure the live link also works with the AO and height. We are now solely focused on the engine part of the plugin and once that is completed, we will go back and fix the issues with live link. I'm sorry I don't have a better workaround at this time.

Another thing to check for the disparity issue. You need to have the Color space set to linear in the Player Settings for the Unity project. I think Unity is defaulting to gamma space and this is not correct for physically-based rendering setup.

Cheers,
Wes

Thanks.

Thanks.

Hi,

Cheers,
Wes

Rafa,

Hi Wes,

Cheers,
Wes

Hi Wes,

Rafa,

Hi Rafa,

Currently we don't have a solution for the AO and Height. We have tickets to address these workflow issues. We need to make sure the live link also works with the AO and height. We are now solely focused on the engine part of the plugin and once that is completed, we will go back and fix the issues with live link. I'm sorry I don't have a better workaround at this time.

Another thing to check for the disparity issue. You need to have the Color space set to linear in the Player Settings for the Unity project. I think Unity is defaulting to gamma space and this is not correct for physically-based rendering setup.

Cheers,
Wes

Many thanks for your help!

Regards,
Rafa