Author Topic: Unity 2.2 Released with 2018.3 and .NET4 support.  (Read 354 times)

Hi Everyone,

We have released Substance in Unity 2.2 and it's live now on the Unity Asset Store. This update includes a ton of bug fixes and some new features detailed below in the release notes. We now have support for Unity 2018.3 as well as .NET4. Thank you for your patience. We know it took a long time to get this release out. We will be doing more frequent updates from here on out.

Please be sure to check out our full documentation. https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/integrations/unity-2018-170459323.html

Substance in Unity 2.2 change list
Release Date: Jan 10, 2019

Core Substance Plugin

- Updated Substance Engine
- Improved code stability
- Unity 2018.3 support
- .NET 4.x support
- Substance Source support in 2018.3
- Substance Source coloring issue has been fixed
- The graph, and corresponding material, now have the same object name
- Added Unity Pro skin GUI readability improvements
- Added support for material's output assignments
- Fixed a bug with sRGB handling
- Fixed a bug where an user could could delete all instances of a graph
- Fixed a bug where attempting to render Substances while changing parameters at runtime would only cause two to be able to rendered at a time
- When importing a package that contains old Substance files, the plugin will now let the user know that it contains old Substance data and delete the package files when Unity is attempting to import them (this is so the user does not have to delete everything manually if it came in broken)(edited)
- Added an 'About' button in the Substance menu to show Substance plugin related build information
- Added mouse-over tooltips in the Substance GUI to show exposed Substance parameter names
- Added Navigation buttons in the Substance GUI to link to Substance graph and materials
- Added new icons for the Substance graph/material/textures in the Content Browser
- Updated the Substance thumbnails in the content browser
- Removed the .mat from the front of Substance material names
- Added the ability to rename Substance graphs and materials
- When changing Substance graph resolution, the apply/revert popup will no longer appear forcing the user to commit the change at that moment
- Fixed a bug where the Reflection process would only use the default Substance resolution, instead of one defined by the user
- Added a mouseover warning to the Substance GUI that informs the user if the color space is set to Gamma
- Changed functionality of Substance graph instances: Users can now create graph instances in a Substance without being prompted for each created instance in the Substance graph GUI

Scripting

- We have hidden some functions not meant for script support
- Added function to duplicate Substance graph instances through script: Duplicate()
- Added function to query procedural input information via C#, returns an array of 'InputProperties' elements: GetInputProperties()
- Added function to check if an input exists in a graph, returns true/false: HasInput(string inputName)
- Added function to check if a visibleif input is visible, returns true/false: IsInputVisible(string inputName)(edited)
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Great thanks Wes and team!  Looking forward to giving it a try this weekend.

I have just tried this and I'm not sure that I have the latest version of the plugin. I have imported the plugin and a sbsar file and have found that the instance is still name mat. and I can't see anyway of renaming an instance.

I have cleared my asset store app data folder and re downloaded the plugin.
The plugin folder's engine_build_info.txt has Plugin commit: 3684 and Plugin Build : 790

Is there an easy way to check the version of the plugin?

Glad to have the plugin back in my 2018.3 project.

Don't know if this is the place to report bugs, but every time I exit play mode, a null reference exception appears in the console:
Code: [Select]
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Substance.Game.NativeCallbacks.DisableScripts () (at <4d83584dfe7c4e0d9d1b5ec79410fc6c>:0)
Substance.Editor.EntryPoint.StateChange (UnityEditor.PlayModeStateChange state) (at <ea810960b57e457690325c90558fa06d>:0)
UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_PlayModeStateChanged (UnityEditor.PlayModeStateChange state) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:302)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr) (at ?)

Also, I would really like to be able to put the plugin in a folder besides the root Assets directory. It's a bit frustrating when you've got an organizational system to keep directory clutter to a minimum and then a plugin demands that it must sit at the root directory :/

-A

Thanks, it is working for me. Looking forward for more updates and improvements of the plugin.

I have just tried this and I'm not sure that I have the latest version of the plugin. I have imported the plugin and a sbsar file and have found that the instance is still name mat. and I can't see anyway of renaming an instance.

I have cleared my asset store app data folder and re downloaded the plugin.
The plugin folder's engine_build_info.txt has Plugin commit: 3684 and Plugin Build : 790

Is there an easy way to check the version of the plugin?

@kelly4d3d ,

Yes that seems to be the old version of the plugin. The 2.2 release has an About option in the Substance menu that tells you everything about the plugin version. Unity's Asset Store is a bit weird sometimes. Were you given the option to Update the plugin in the Asset Store? What version of Unity are you using?
Integrations QA Analyst

Glad to have the plugin back in my 2018.3 project.

Don't know if this is the place to report bugs, but every time I exit play mode, a null reference exception appears in the console:
Code: [Select]
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Substance.Game.NativeCallbacks.DisableScripts () (at <4d83584dfe7c4e0d9d1b5ec79410fc6c>:0)
Substance.Editor.EntryPoint.StateChange (UnityEditor.PlayModeStateChange state) (at <ea810960b57e457690325c90558fa06d>:0)
UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_PlayModeStateChanged (UnityEditor.PlayModeStateChange state) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:302)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr) (at ?)

Also, I would really like to be able to put the plugin in a folder besides the root Assets directory. It's a bit frustrating when you've got an organizational system to keep directory clutter to a minimum and then a plugin demands that it must sit at the root directory :/

-A

Hey @me_41 ,

How are you able to reproduce this issue? I might need you to send me a project where this occurs, because I cannot reproduce it.

Also, I understand your frustration of the plugin location. I'll have a talk with the dev team today about this issue.
Integrations QA Analyst

I can't send you the project, but maybe you can send that call stack to the plugin dev team and they can put some try/catches around whatever is happening in that DisableScripts function.

It happens whether or not I have a Substance panel in my editor layout and I don't even have any .sbsar files in the project currently.

Hey I just tested this out.  So far no errors but there is still an issue with tiling settings not being detected and thus I cant figure out how to check in a material with tiling into source control.  So basically tiling changes are not carrying over across machines etc.

Repo steps:  Using a project under source control check everything in  so git report nothing to commit.  Then make changes to the tiling of the material under the sbsar file in unity inspector.  Git shows no changes.

I reported this issue awhile ago here https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23756.msg102417.html#msg102417

Substance plugin 2.2.0 on unity 2018.3

Yes that seems to be the old version of the plugin. The 2.2 release has an About option in the Substance menu that tells you everything about the plugin version. Unity's Asset Store is a bit weird sometimes. Were you given the option to Update the plugin in the Asset Store? What version of Unity are you using?

No I only had the import option, after removing the local cache I had the download option but this was the same version. I'm using 2018.1.1f1 of unity. I have installed 2013.3.1f1 and then it allowed the update to the latest plugin version.

The plugin doesn't seem to be loading fully for me here. I haven't touched any of the plugin folders. Is there another step I'm missing to get this working? Thanks!

Anyone get these errors in Unity official release  2018.3.1f1?

Just import package then import .sbsar file from SD 2018.1.2

The plugin doesn't seem to be loading fully for me here. I haven't touched any of the plugin folders. Is there another step I'm missing to get this working? Thanks!

How were you able to reproduce this issue?
Integrations QA Analyst

Anyone get these errors in Unity official release  2018.3.1f1?

Just import package then import .sbsar file from SD 2018.1.2

What version of Unity are you using? How are you able to reproduce this issue?
Integrations QA Analyst

2018.3.1f1

Just import package "Substance in Unity" then import any .sbsar file