Author Topic: Normal map format: DirectX vs OpenGL  (Read 395 times)

If the objects I paint are meant for film which normal map format should I use?
It's meant to be used in Houdini, Clarisse, Terragen, Vue, Rendered with Arnold, Mantra or Redshift.

It doesn't matter. It all depends on what that render is using, either openGL or DirectX. Moving from one format to another is as simple as flipping the green channel (invert it).

Thank you. I've checked I need OpenGL. I've started a few projects with DirectX (as all tutorials I've seen keep DirectX as default). I see I can change it in Edit->Project Configuration, but do I need to rebake the maps again (texture settings tab -> Bake Mesh Maps)?

Thank you. I've checked I need OpenGL. I've started a few projects with DirectX (as all tutorials I've seen keep DirectX as default). I see I can change it in Edit->Project Configuration, but do I need to rebake the maps again (texture settings tab -> Bake Mesh Maps)?

Do a little test for yourself, take the current normal map which you flipped to match openGL, then rebake and compare to see if you find a difference baking with openGL compared to your inverted DirectX map. ;)

Best way to learn is to experiment.