Author Topic: a way to isolate/hide part of the mesh and my issue with the Polygon Fill tool  (Read 202 times)

Hi guys
I love SP and I think it is a great programm but it is missing some features that are super important and the fact that they are not present yet slows down my work tremendously . For example the ability to hide parts of the mesh. Do you guys know of any way to bypass this issue?
Also the unability to disable backface selection when using the Polygon Fill tool. This is a great tool but when using a tablet no matter how careful I am I keep painting polygons/parts on the other side of the mesh. It is super counterproductive...
Let me guys know  if there is any way to bypass this one too, please. Thank you!

With SP you can get super quick great results in alot of cases but when texturing more complex mesh is involved it can get very painfull... I am sorry if I am a bit harsh. I really hope these issues will be resolved soon.
Thank you!

You can assign a different material to the parts you want to hide before importing your model. This allows you to hide objects by material assigned. If you want to hide faces temporarily I THINK you can use the transparency shader, add an opacity channel, add a new layer, enable and set opacity to 0 and fill in the faces you want to hide.

Yes, it seems this is an ongoing issue.

The problem with assigning different materials prior to importing into Substance Painter (in order to be able to hide different geometries) is that then you end up with a different texture set for each material on export (even when your mesh shares the same UV set, which is wasteful).

It seems another workaround then is to then combine the textures after export (using a plugin or manually) https://youtu.be/_XI0rpOZBD0 but I have tried two different plugins and neither worked for me and the manual route in photoshop is quite a chore.

I am only very surprised because 3Dcoat has no issue letting you hide sub-meshes whilst painting and maintaining a single texture set, it surely is technically possible? Is it something you all plan to work on? The painting experience is just so good I really want to make the full switch to SP.

I am only very surprised because 3Dcoat has no issue letting you hide sub-meshes whilst painting and maintaining a single texture set, it surely is technically possible? Is it something you all plan to work on?

It is technically possible, but very difficult to implement because Painter - unlike 3D Coat - works completely non-destructively. Those two apps work radically different internally, that it works in 3D Coat means nothing.

There even is a pinned thread at the top of this forum about this subject. They are working on it...

meanwhile: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/DgBDo
Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 05:08:34 pm