Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (Part2)  (Read 16461 times)

Hello All!
 " What you crate in an Adobe product is automaticaly become an Adobe product" I

That is outrageously untrue and honestly, I'm surprised anyone would believe such obvious falsehoods. If Adobe could claim that then every Disney Movie would be paying royalties to Adobe because Adobe would own every movie they made.
Basically, no that's not true and anyone that told you that is either playing you for a fool or a fool themselves.

The recent blog post stated "perpertual Indie licenses" would remain after the transition - what about users like myself who have a Pro license, wishing to upgrade to the newest version?
Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 01:28:56 am
CEO/Sr. Product Engineer - Rushboard Technologies
https://www.rushboardtech.com

My Portfolio - https://www.artstation.com/hyncharas

So basically, the "We believe that when the content and services... & These future offerings will be primarily subscription-based" line signals you are all in with Adobe's method of turning SOFTWARE AS A PRODUCT...into SOFTWARE AS A SERVICE.

This is not pro-consumer. I'm afraid that all the damage control up until this point was done in bad faith, trying to use emotional appeal to make it seem like it wouldn't be the adobe "business as usual", but that's exactly what we seem to be getting.

"I told you so" seems like a good response (feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this, but be honest as this message comes with exactly what many of us expected, in a bad way).

Let's take the entire phrase: "These future offerings will be primarily subscription-based, but we will continue to offer indie perpetual licenses."

so we are not turning software as a product to software as a service: we are offering both, as some people like you prefer perpetual, while some other will go for the monthly sub as it fits better to their needs. and indeed (as I already said on a previous post), from a development point of view the monthly sub makes more sense as we can develop and offer more. This is neither new nor related to Adobe acquisition: Substance Source, for example, has always been something we can offer via the sub.

hope it helps

Hello All!
I'm relatively new et Substance Painter, i bought an indy licence, half a year ago, and i'm realy scared about what i can read and hear about Adobe, particulary from the folowing: " What you crate in an Adobe product is automaticaly become an Adobe product" I dont know if it is true, or not, but it is realy  crucial. So the question is realy simple: How the ownership of the artworks, created in Substance Painter, or other products will looks like in the future? Can we call our artworks to our own, or they will be Adobe products?

I don't know where you read this, but this is completely untrue.

@Vincent Gault | SO, I'm an Adobe Creative Cloud user :P, and can't wait for the addition of Substance painter, do you know a general time frame they will be adding your software to the Cloud, if at all? (I.E. end of the year, a year, two!?)

Also to everyone, there is a group of people (including me) that wants to see the Algorithmic team come to Adobe with Substance, as is, and to continue their remarkable groundbreaking work. :o

Sadly I don't have any time frame for the addition to substance products to Creative Cloud. We are indeed at work to prepare cool offers, but we have A LOT of things to settle before it happens.

You can be sure that as soon as we'll have ready, we'll let everyone knows  ;D

@Substance team
I know times like this is can be turbulent, but i wish you came out of it stronger, and batter then ever. Even if i abbsolultly agree with the concerns of many people here, ( i allso works for a big corporation, and things are realy are, as many discribed here) but i think, a great product, well known in the industry, and loved worldwide will not disappear. Be creative, innovative, and never stop listen to your costumers, and things will be fine. God luck to all of you!

Thanks a lot ;)

As a side note, I just came back to GDC in San Francisco (where Adobe head office is), and I had the chance to meet with our new teammates (Mixamo, Dimension, Aero, Stock 3D teams): they are awesome, passionate as much as we are, and super excited to work with us! all together, we are here to lead this 3D initiative, so we are going to continue to innovate, with (way) more resources :).

We are truly at a "wait and see" stage here, and the Allegorithmic guys deserve the benefit of the doubt. Every possible question and speculation has been covered in this thread. The deal is done so let's just wait and see how it shakes out. :)
Unfortunately, I can't take the time to "wait and see". I'm shortly entering my eighth decade and waiting isn't something I can deal with anymore.

I know if it becomes subscription (only) with Adobe, I'll go elsewhere.  I'm also not going to pay another year's fee for my perpetual licenses either, until things are clear (I guess I do wait on some things!)  Probably forced to go elsewhere.
Ryzen 1800x w Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler, Gigabyte AX370 K7, Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME-M.2 SSD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G2 PS
Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem, Logitech G910 KB, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 399.07 (30Sep18), Win 10 Pro x64

Now that you have the resources of Adobe have you considered making a 3D modeling and Sculpting tool? Autodesk could use some competition.

Now that you have the resources of Adobe have you considered making a 3D modeling and Sculpting tool? Autodesk could use some competition.

Now that we are in Adobe, we can definitely expand the scope of what we can do  ;)

Now that we are in Adobe, we can definitely expand the scope of what we can do  ;)

Substance Creator. How's that for a name?

We are truly at a "wait and see" stage here, and the Allegorithmic guys deserve the benefit of the doubt. Every possible question and speculation has been covered in this thread. The deal is done so let's just wait and see how it shakes out. :)

Yeah, I would like to do that - but the 'Allegorithmic guys' are not in control any more - Adobe is. Read the bottom of this web page 'Substance by Adobe' - Allegorithmic no longer exists.

Adobe only has the SAAS business model.

If the perpetual model remains for Substance painter it will likely only be for the version current before the take-over.

I am pretty sure it will all be a good thing if you like the SAAS model. But if not, learn to love your current perpetual version, it is likely to eventually be a dinosaur.

And you are right - the deal is done - we have no option but to see what happen. 
Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 12:08:49 am

Yeah, I would like to do that - but the 'Allegorithmic guys' are not in control any more - Adobe is. Read the bottom of this web page 'Substance by Adobe' - Allegorithmic no longer exists.

If the perpetual model remains for Substance painter it will likely only be for the version current before the take-over.

I am pretty sure it will all be a good thing if you like the SAAS model. But if not, learn to love your current perpetual version, it is likely to eventually be a dinosaur.

And you are right - the deal is done - we have no option but to see what happen.

Yes Adobe is in control (nothing new here), and Adobe has decided to pursue with subscription and perpetual, as explained in the post above, because we (people from Adobe including us) have decided that it was the right thing to do.

Imagining different alternative scenarios can be a good exercise, but you cannot build conclusions (and especially explain what people should do) based on this. Take a look at the article, that's the current situation and facts to make your own opinion.

pws

Yes Adobe is in control (nothing new here), and Adobe has decided to pursue with subscription and perpetual, as explained in the post above, because we (people from Adobe including us) have decided that it was the right thing to do.

Imagining different alternative scenarios can be a good exercise, but you cannot build conclusions (and especially explain what people should do) based on this. Take a look at the article, that's the current situation and facts to make your own opinion.

Thank you Vincent - this sounds great! And now please get your company to add a maintenance option / upgrade path for our other Adobe products. This might boost Adobe from zero to Hero. I did not upgrade my Ps since CS6Ex - guess why ...  :)
Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 05:20:51 pm

Thank you Vincent - this sounds great! And now please get your company to add a maintenance option / upgrade path for our other Adobe products. This might boost Adobe from zero to Hero. I did not upgrade my Ps since CS6Ex - guess why ...  :)

Haha this is definitely another story  ;D

https://www.allegorithmic.com/blog/substance-team-joins-adobe-family-update

Great news, music to my ears regarding perpetual licenses! Let's hope it stays that way!:):)

Wow, yes if you create a modelling/sculpting tool of the same standards as the other Substance products I'd definitely be interested in using it! Doesn't hurt to have some competition in the market:)