Author Topic: painting on high poly  (Read 74 times)

Hi

I am trying to paint a model out of zbrush thats 2.5 million polys and only one texture set. Its unworkable at the moment everytime I put down a stroke the its takes a good 5-6 seconds for the stroke to appear. This is the first time I am painting a high res mesh in substance is there a upper limit poly count. I have attached my log just in case its useful.
Cheers

Is there a reason why you're not working off a low poly baked from your high poly? I couldn't imagine that your UVs are clean either as cutting up that much geometry would take years. Are you planning on using these textures with your high poly mesh in any engine or rendering engine outside of Painter? What about animating?

I would assume your polygon count is too high with your current texture map resolution for your GPU to handle. What map size are you working on?

Hi,

There is a low polybase mesh where the UVs were created, I have never used the low poly baked from your high poly workflow I will have a look into that.

I am only using a 1024 map and I have a 1080 with 8 gigs. I thought that should be able to handle that much.

We can handle a lot of triangles fine (millions even !). However something that could slow down the rendering of the viewport could that you have too many sub-objects in the mesh file. Without screenshots I can't give more guesses unfortunately. You will have to detail a bit more your situation.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

Its just one mesh that was 2.9 million polys. I thought it would handle that much. I am now working on a 500k mesh but i used the high res to bake the maps.  I guess we cant work with super high res meshes in substance? I am not working on games personally.

I worked myself on meshes with 3 millions triangles without issues and some of my colleague even went with meshes that were around 10 millions (but at that point it was starting to slow down).
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

It seems there is something wrong with the new GPU drivers I was having another issue where it wouldnt render on the GPU. I rolled back the driver to a really old one and now I can paint on the 2 million poly one without issue it also fixed the issue with the GPU rendering.

I am not sure whats going on but its working for now.