Author Topic: Difficulty getting sbsrender to produce an output  (Read 237 times)

I have what I believe to be a valid sbsar file which begins with a bitmap image at 8k, is heavily processed, and then concludes with an actual output node.  I have confirmed there are no issues running it manually in Designer, so I think I'm good there, and although it's huge at 1.5 GB - yes, workflow demands I work at a huge resolution with lots of built-in diffuse texture dependencies - it did export fine after about 20-30 minutes.

I am trying to run the following command.   

Code: [Select]
sbsrender.exe render -v --input "test.sbsar" --output-path "C:\Users\Dave\Desktop\Substance" --output-format tif

This returns a simple one line bit of info stating the following:
[INFO][SBSRender]Will load engine located at "C:/Program Files/Allegorithmic/Substance Automation Toolkit/plugins/engines/substance_sse2_blend.

And, no image is created in the directory I specified.  So, I tried running a slightly different variation in which I specify the image I want to process (I'm not actually sure if this is the right method for "switching out" the source bitmap which is actually in the sbsar...I'm guessing probably not, but tried it anyway).

This was my second attempt:
sbsrender.exe render -v --input "C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Automation Toolkit\test.sbsar" --set-entry input@"C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Automation Toolkit\256.tif" --output-path "C:\Users\Dave\Desktop\Substance" --output-format tif
The output of this attempt was a bit more verbose, but also failed:
[WARNING][Default](0): FileTextureLoader >> Loading  "C:\\Program Files\\Allegorithmic\\Substance Automation Toolkit\\256.tif"  Failed
[WARNING][SBSRender]Could not load image "C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Automation Toolkit\256.tif", input "input" of file "C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Automation Toolkit\test.sbsar" will be kept-as-is.
[INFO][SBSRender]Will load engine located at "C:/Program Files/Allegorithmic/Substance Automation Toolkit/plugins/engines/substance_sse2_blend.dll".

So, for clarity, I'll lay out my workflow:

- The graph starts with a bitmap node - the source image to be processed.
- Processing occurs throughout the graph.
- Graph concludes with an output node.
- sbsar successfully exported (8k, diffuse texture dependencies and all)
- Now, with the graph built, I must automate image processing of thousands of source tiles ("placed in" the bitmap node).

Hopefully I've made this clear.  Any assistance for a floundering automation noob would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 06:34:25 am

Hi,

I tried to make some simple tests here and I couldn't trigger your issues:
There are a few things that you can try.
1. Designer uses the GPU engine by default. To mimic this behavior pass --engine d3d10pc (or --engine opengl3 for linux/mac). This works, there is still an error to investigate since you should get an error if the file is never produced.
2. The second command line command line since it complains about missing files. My speculation is it being related to escaping and quoting or an exotic tif encoding. Can you try saving 256.tif as png and use it instead or similar to rule that one out as an issue.

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.  I have tried both of the following and returned the results below:

sbsrender.exe render -v --engine d3d10pc --input "test.sbsar" --output-path "C:\Users\Dave\Desktop\Substance" --output-format tif[INFO][SBSRender]Will load engine located at "C:/Program Files/Allegorithmic/Substance Automation Toolkit/plugins/engines/substance_d3d10pc_blend.dll".

and for the entry image fix:

sbsrender.exe render -v --engine d3d10pc --input "C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Automation Toolkit\test.sbsar" --set-entry input@"C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Automation Toolkit\256.png" --output-path "C:\Users\Dave\Desktop\Substance" --output-format tif[WARNING][Default](0): FileTextureLoader >> Loading  "C:\\Program Files\\Allegorithmic\\Substance Automation Toolkit\\256.png"  Failed
[WARNING][SBSRender]Could not load image "C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Automation Toolkit\256.png", input "input" of file "C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Automation Toolkit\Vegetation_Albedo_Builder2.sbsar" will be kept-as-is.
[INFO][SBSRender]Will load engine located at "C:/Program Files/Allegorithmic/Substance Automation Toolkit/plugins/engines/substance_d3d10pc_blend.dll".

I am starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the graph...maybe too many dependencies?  I do not believe there is anything too out of the ordinary in it.  Any other ideas?  Maybe there's somewhere I can upload the sbsar or graph for you to have a look?

If you can share the graph and the sbsar I'll take a look at it.
The graph itself should be irrelevant at the time it has been cooked so at that point dependencies should not make any difference.

Hi David,

I sent you a message with a link for download.  I uploaded only the sbsar because the graph with resources was almost 5 GB.  Hopefully we can figure out a solution from the sbsar alone.   

Thanks!