Author Topic: Substance Painter to Marmoset Toolbag 2 issues  (Read 20579 times)

I've been trying to get a decent workflow going from Substance Painter to Marmoset Toolbag 2 with limited success. The main issues I'm having are with some of the Gloss / Roughness settings in Marmoset that look like they're set either to 100% rough (finger prints that completely roughen the surface) while the rest of the model is almost completely reflective or the metallic map not being at all accurate to what I see in SP. 

Has anyone gone through this workflow that can give me some pointers? Perhaps I need to separate out my mesh into its material groups? I'll try to figure it out from some sample marmoset meshes people have put out there like the diving helmet, but Im not sure the same issues with roughness are present in those examples.

Instead of "Roughness", Toolbag uses "Glossiness" or "Microsurface", which is the same map just inverted. Try inverting in Toolbag, should do the trick.

Also,  you say
while the rest of the model is almost completely reflective or the metallic map not being at all accurate to what I see in SP.   

Are you using the Metallness/Roughness workflow or the Specular/Glossiness? The Toolbag pictures show a Spec Map being used, not Metal?

I've actually tried both the PBR materials and the document materials exports from SP, but neither really got me where I wanted to be. I have tried inverting the settings on the metallic and the roughness settings in TB to no avail for these textures. Inverting simply means I need to drag the slider all the way in the other direction to get a similar result.

I would prefer to use whichever material set will be best suited to an Unreal Editor workflow. If its easier for me to go into UE with metal/roughness then I'll use that.

I would prefer to use whichever material set will be best suited to an Unreal Editor workflow. If its easier for me to go into UE with metal/roughness then I'll use that.

UE4 uses Metallness/Roughness, so export those out from Painter. UE4 uses the exact same maps as Painter so you don't have to invert anything in the editor. To get Painter maps into Toolbag, make sure to click the "Specular Map" list box under the Reflectivity tab and switch it to Metallness, and invert your Roughness.

Inverting simply means I need to drag the slider all the way in the other direction to get a similar result.

I don't believe this is inverting the map, I think that's removing it all together. To invert there is a small button below the sliders.

I don't believe this is inverting the map, I think that's removing it all together. To invert there is a small button below the sliders.

Oh, I meant I checked the invert button on each material as you say, but at that point I would still be unable to get the result I needed. Honestly I dont see the point of the invert checkboxes, other than for people that like all their sliders to make immediate visual sense.  Setting a slider to 10% or to 90% makes no difference to the visual result.

After some more twiddling, I seem to have gotten closer, but found that any inverted substance effect on any layer is not being inverted in Marmoset. Has anyone seen that? Ive attached a few videos showing the latest. This is a completely reimported (separated) mesh into SP. Then Ive exported using base color / normal / roughness / metallic from SP.

Also, anyone have any idea why I lose so much normal detail from SP to marmoset? Its almost like its displaying at 2k rather than 4k for several parts of the surface detail.

Hi damocles,

For Marmoset, you should export the metal/rough maps and not the conversion maps. In marmoset the roughness will go into the gloss map slot and you need to check invert button. You shouldn't need to change the slider. Next, for reflection choose metalness map and for reflectivity, you need to set it to GGX.

I'm sorry, but I might be missing your question. I wasn't able to watch the video you posted to check. However, you can use the metal/rough workflow with marmoset and it should work the same as UE4 using the above setup. The big setting is to make sure that you are using GGX.

Cheers,

Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks Wes, Im certainly getting closer to the results I wanted now.

I assume by conversion maps, you mean I just need to export the Base Color, Metallic, Roughness and Normal maps, but not the height map.

The Roughness scale in marmoset certainly seems to be a little off even with the settings suggested. I need to be sure that the roughness on my SP maps is at least 30% higher than I think I need to get a comparable result in TB2. I seem to have to go as far as to add a roughness fill layer to really get a rough surface on some parts of the wood of this model. Perhaps the wood material Im using is to blame.

Im also still losing a fair bit of detail in the normal information on export.  I think its fairly apparent on the scratched metal surface that it isn't retaining much of that surface detail. I am exporting 4k maps to marmoset. Perhaps the substance painter render looks better simply because it hasn't been baked down yet?

Heres what I have now:

Substance Painter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muDIwsFgUnk
Toolbag2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1-lvBCQJ8g

Thanks Wes, Im certainly getting closer to the results I wanted now.

I assume by conversion maps, you mean I just need to export the Base Color, Metallic, Roughness and Normal maps, but not the height map.

The Roughness scale in marmoset certainly seems to be a little off even with the settings suggested. I need to be sure that the roughness on my SP maps is at least 30% higher than I think I need to get a comparable result in TB2. I seem to have to go as far as to add a roughness fill layer to really get a rough surface on some parts of the wood of this model. Perhaps the wood material Im using is to blame.

Im also still losing a fair bit of detail in the normal information on export.  I think its fairly apparent on the scratched metal surface that it isn't retaining much of that surface detail. I am exporting 4k maps to marmoset. Perhaps the substance painter render looks better simply because it hasn't been baked down yet?

Hi,

Yes, by conversion maps, I was referring to export the metal/rough and not the specular/glossiness converted maps. Roughness may be interpreted differently as shaders will often remap the roughness for a custom implementation. However, it should be a very close match. 

For the metalness map in Toolbag, be sure you uncheck sRGB. Its on by default and this will cause issue. The other maps are interpreted correctly.

I posted two screen shots. The black background(image 01) is toolbag and the dark grey is SP (image 02). I can get pretty much an exact match with the roughness/metal.

Just to recap: Check this settings...

Be sure you are using the same background for skylight in both applications.

1. Normal map - Flip Y - sRGB color off
2. Gloss Map - Gloss 1.0 - Invert True - sRGB color off
3. Reflectivity - Metalness Map - Metalness 1.0 - sRGB color off
5. Reflection - mode is GGX

Cheers,

Wes

Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:00:00 pm
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja