Author Topic: Emission map issues  (Read 1905 times)

Hello,

I was experimenting with some emission maps in Substance painter last night. I've attached screenshots of what I see. So in Substance Painter I'm using a "scratches" brush to paint on some emission areas of the model on a new layer. When I bring this map into Unity it doesn't keep any of the grunge like properties of the brush I used and just looks like it was painted on and even looks a bit pixelated. Is there something special I need to do in order for this to look properly or is this just not possible?

Don't forget you can adjust the emission weight slider in your Unity shader.  It looks like you have set high, so it blows away any grunge you overlay. 

It's actually using the default values (set to 1). Thing is, when I bring the emission map into Unity it strips out any of the grunge details and makes everything fully opaque. I created another one again and it does the same thing. It doesn't seem to account for different alpha values in the emission map. If I adjust the emission value in Unity it just makes the entire thing lighter or brighter. This isn't a big deal to be honest, but it would be nice to have emissive textures with grunge maps. I'd like to experiment with spray painted emissive textures. Attached is what I'm seeing in Unity now.
Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:24:15 pm

Hey jgonzosan,

does your exported emissive map also clam everything to use no alpha?
Maybe this is a Unity issue?

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

I believe it may be a Unity issue. It looks like the original emission map from Substance painter has the emission values over a transparent background. Unity then takes the transparent background and turns it black and removes any kind of alpha variation it seems. I'm going to try and see if I can modify the map in Photoshop to avoid this but it's pretty annoying. Not sure if there's a way to do this from SP.

I believe it may be a Unity issue. It looks like the original emission map from Substance painter has the emission values over a transparent background. Unity then takes the transparent background and turns it black and removes any kind of alpha variation it seems. I'm going to try and see if I can modify the map in Photoshop to avoid this but it's pretty annoying. Not sure if there's a way to do this from SP.

Hi,

In SP, you can create a fill layer that only uses emission channel. For the value, set it to black. Now, create a standard layer on top of this fill layer and paint your emission. The fill layer at the bottom of the stack will act as a fill of black so there will be no transparency in your map when you export. This way, you don't have to edit on Photoshop.

Cheers,

Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi,

In SP, you can create a fill layer that only uses emission channel. For the value, set it to black. Now, create a standard layer on top of this fill layer and paint your emission. The fill layer at the bottom of the stack will act as a fill of black so there will be no transparency in your map when you export. This way, you don't have to edit on Photoshop.

Cheers,

Wes

Where do  you guys suggest plugging in the emissive map in Vray for Maya? I tried self-illumination slot but it just goes to solid color.

Hi,

Cheers,

Wes

Where do  you guys suggest plugging in the emissive map in Vray for Maya? I tried self-illumination slot but it just goes to solid color.

Self-illumination should be the channel. Can you post some images of what you are getting?

Cheers,
Wes

Here's what I get when I plug it, I don't have any gamma corrections on the map.

https://i.imgur.com/StSqI6o.png
https://i.imgur.com/o0ulrxl.png

Here's what I get when I plug it, I don't have any gamma corrections on the map.

https://i.imgur.com/StSqI6o.png
https://i.imgur.com/o0ulrxl.png

That looks to be working correctly as it's a uniform illumination based on the map. It looks like you need more of an SSS effect for the candle. However, you could bake a thickness map and multiply that by the illumination map to darken areas of the candle.

Cheers,
wes

I've tried a couple of things but it didn't work out so great so I'll try a couple of more times and if not I'll just do the regular SSS in the shader.

Thank you so much!