Author Topic: Announcing Substance SHARE  (Read 10340 times)

;) Wonderful !!

Things are quite clear: all the assets available on Substance Share can be used for commercial or personal projects.

More news very soon :)

Nico

Substance share was supposed to be out by the end of Summer..so what's going on now?

Summer ends on September 21st, we are still in the summer. And we will keep our promise :)

Summer is over for a lot of people:) But, since you're being technical, I guess the hint that it'll be out BY September 21st is good. So less than two weeks. Confirmed. Thanks!

It's now LIVE: https://share.allegorithmic.com

Have fun, and cannot wait to see what you guyz will make of this platform :)
Director of Product Management & COO

Thanks for making this happen! Much appreciated!

But.. license for these is CC-BY-SA?

Doesn't that mean that if we include anything from substance share to our products, our own product must distributed with CC-BY-SA license as well, right?

"ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original. "

Teo

Wow, looks good!:) That was fast!:)

I have some simple materials I made that I use a lot for ArchViz (spackle ceiling, plaster walls, etc) Would it be worth uploading such simple materials?

Doesn't that mean that if we include anything from substance share to our products, our own product must distributed with CC-BY-SA license as well, right?

"ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original. "

Yea, while CC-BY-SA technically allows commercial use, it makes it useless for that purpose. One person could buy your product and then copy and sell it themselves.

Yea, while CC-BY-SA technically allows commercial use, it makes it useless for that purpose. One person could buy your product and then copy and sell it themselves.

Well, let me clarify: what that means is (please read the entire text there: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode), if you download an asset from Substance Share, you can use it in a game, to produce a film, etc. whether it is a commercial or personal project. You JUST have to credit somewhere the author and the link to the source.

Then, IF you modify the asset AND decide on distributing the derived asset by itself, THEN, because what you distribute is based on the original asset that is licensed according to CC-BY-SA, the new, modified asset has to be licensed under CC-BY-SA too.

This is to basically prevent from anyone downloading the assets, barely modify them and redistribute them (or even sell them) on other platforms.

I hope that helps! :)
Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:55:57 pm
---
Founder and CEO
Allegorithmic

Thanks a lot for the clarification, Sebastien!
Very clear and much appreciated!  :)
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Thea Render - A Team
"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success..."
-Malcolm X

Well, let me clarify: what that means is (please read the entire text there: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode), if you download an asset from Substance Share, you can use it in a game, to produce a film, etc. whether it is a commercial or personal project. You JUST have to credit somewhere the author and the link to the source.

Then, IF you modify the asset AND decide on distributing the derived asset by itself, THEN, because what you distribute is based on the original asset that is licensed according to CC-BY-SA, the new, modified asset has to be licensed under CC-BY-SA too.

This is to basically prevent from anyone downloading the assets, barely modify them and redistribute them (or even sell them) on other platforms.

Hi Sebastien, I'd be happy on those terms that you described, but unfortunately that's not how I'd interpret CC-BY-SA. For example this answer pretty much sums my fears on using SA copyleft license:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23171816/creative-common-sharealike-3-0-commercial-game

I've read that (4.0) license you linked and I didn't catch anything that would state that I wouldn't need to share my own product using CC-BY-SA even if I used only one CC-BY-SA source asset for my entire product. If you can point out the part on that legal text that states otherwise, can please quote that for us? I'd be more than happy to be wrong here..

Yea, this is a discussion I've had elsewhere before, and the general consensus is usually that a game containing SA content is a derived work and thus the entire game must be under CC-BY-SA (Blendswap for example works under this interpretation). Unfortunately I don't think CC themselves have ever clarified it, but in the one example they give in the license, using music in a video makes the entire video SA, not just the song.

While this interpretation might be wrong, unless someone can point to an actual court case or clarifying statement from CC, using SA content in a commercial work seems to be very risky.

I don't mind if people want to put their work under SA, but it's not really an all-situations kind of license. Giving people an option of CC0/BY/BY-SA would allow more flexibility.

Hhmmm... Although the terms may seem very clear, I see this license getting more and more blurry and make it close to impossible to use in reality...  :-\

I only use some materials in architectural renders of 3D models...
From what I understand, I will need to credit all authors of materials I use in a render, provide links to the source and my renders are all of a sudden under the CC-BY-SA license... (??)

If this is how I should interpret the license, then I need to leave this, as it will means that I can't use any materials in any of the renders I make...

Moreover... If I use a material in a 3D model and share this model with others, I'm not allowed to do so in the future, although the material is only a very small part of the entire 3D model...  ???

I think this needs further clarification, as it may lead to a completely useless system...
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Thea Render - A Team
-Malcolm X

I don't mind if people want to put their work under SA, but it's not really an all-situations kind of license. Giving people an option of CC0/BY/BY-SA would allow more flexibility.

I agree that SA is not the end of the world, but it restricts a lot of the available potential for the service. I'd like to point out my previous comment before share was released:

I hope Allegorithmic makes a license that is easy to understand for things submitted on substance share. It should be always clear to people who submit resources what they agree on and also to those who download what they can use the items for.

I personally would like to see commercial use being allowed for all substance share items. NC use can be debated, for example if you glance through substance for learning purposes and build similar enough thing yourself, it's not always clear where you'd draw the line. I'd like to see a similar license that Unity and Unreal Engine have for their marketplaces: there people can use the items for commercial use but resale is strictly forbidden. If however people are allowed to submit things for non-commercial use only, I hope it's stated clearly per item.

I still think a separate license describing the terms in a way that Sebastien did few posts ago, would be the way to go. I don't think there are any generic public licenses that would allow to embed shared substances to our work without major issues and still preventing people for reselling share content as is. From all the public licenses I like CC-BY when attribution is required, but in this case it would allow people to resell the individual substances, which isn't good and most likely not what people would want for substance share.

I think this needs further clarification, as it may lead to a completely useless system...

It's still amazing learning resource even with the current license. It's great that now we are able to download free substances and learn how things were built on substance designer with an ease. Previously these free substance assets were scattered around the forums and websites so having them all in one place is really great IMO.

I don't want to sound ungrateful as I think a service like substance share is really something people would need and appreciate. On the other hand I hope licensing don't scare people away and prevent people from submitting stuff nor want licensing to cause issues for people who don't understand the terms (hence the wish for clear licensing terms before).

For example, I personally can't really use anything under CC-NC or CC-BY-SA as is, as it would conflict with my existing licenses, I doubt I'm the only one in that situation. I also wouldn't want to submit any of my own work under SA license either as it's against what I'd personally want.

Hhmmm... Although the terms may seem very clear, I see this license getting more and more blurry and make it close to impossible to use in reality...  :-\

I only use some materials in architectural renders of 3D models...
From what I understand, I will need to credit all authors of materials I use in a render, provide links to the source and my renders are all of a sudden under the CC-BY-SA license... (??)

If this is how I should interpret the license, then I need to leave this, as it will means that I can't use any materials in any of the renders I make...

Moreover... If I use a material in a 3D model and share this model with others, I'm not allowed to do so in the future, although the material is only a very small part of the entire 3D model...  ???

This is also my case but I see things differently.

While we render models based on substances, we are not including substances in our models or modifying them somehow. We are using a converter to produce materials based on the textures a substance generates. Substances in their original form or modified form, that are being included inside a game, are part of that game. A texture that is being generated from a substance is not the substance by itself.

A substance is a generator not the final product we use in our models. If we modify the generator and want to share it, we have to use this CC-BY-SA licencing. That's not what we're doing.

Also the way we sell our renders is completelly different than the way games are sold. We sell one render and that's it. People that sell games must sell several copies of it. I can see how selling several copies of a game is ruined by this sort of licensing, but I cannot see how a single sale is being ruined.

This affects the scenario of making models and textures for selling though but obviously affects the games mass market...

The thing is that I was under the impression that substance was mainly focused on games and not on things like the ones I and Kim create... so this might be hitting your community hard until it's clear enough.

And things are not clear and I bet people will be using the "better be safe than sorry" aproach.

There might even be a chain effect here, that might affect people to a greater extent if companies start suspecting that the materials they are hiring from freelancers that create substances might have been made based on this Licencing format. Ultimately a small freelancer might make this licencing affect all the game...

So I would think this would be very important to clarify to us all.

Like you, Tokri, I'm also grateful for Substance Share.
However, as I only use SBSAR files to make materials for the render application I use, it's useless for me with the current license.
Hence I need some further clarification...

I've initiated a new thread in the Substance Share section of this forum.
You can find it here: License clarification...
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Thea Render - A Team
-Malcolm X