Author Topic: Substance Painter and Unity 5 PBR Workflow  (Read 44809 times)

Wow, that's weird, when I have only albedo map, model is transparent like ghost so all that look was from metalness ???
Ok, here is part of model and albedo texture :)
Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:20:51 am

What is your albedo map looking like?  Unity takes the transparency value from the albedos Alpha channel, so if that's all black, you'll be transparent.

I took that image into blender to see channels and it's whole black (except those alpha values which I want to be grey). I will try with converted map and let you know the result. At the moment I'm not in home.

I'm sending .ssp file with glass, could you look into it and tell me how to export it properly in unity?

Hi, I've got a little problem with transparency.

Alpha on texture look like ok, effect should be only on glass. Alpha effect should not be on rest part of my model. I've tried many options but nothing work. I'm using standard shader on transparent mode. Rest options are like in tutorial and it's working with no transparent models.
I found this one is 32 bits, without transparent channel was 24.

I have found that you'll need to use TWO textures, only one of which can be fade or transparent.

Unity won't handle the transparency correctly otherwise, and you can't at all layer two "transparent" materials on top of each other.  Even if the transparency is set to 0.

Hi,

Yes, this is what I found as well. I ended up using a separate material for the transparent areas and applied the same albedo with transparency image.

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi, I've got a little problem with transparency.

Alpha on texture look like ok, effect should be only on glass. Alpha effect should not be on rest part of my model. I've tried many options but nothing work. I'm using standard shader on transparent mode. Rest options are like in tutorial and it's working with no transparent models.
I found this one is 32 bits, without transparent channel was 24.

I have found that you'll need to use TWO textures, only one of which can be fade or transparent.

Unity won't handle the transparency correctly otherwise, and you can't at all layer two "transparent" materials on top of each other.  Even if the transparency is set to 0.

Hi,

Yes, this is what I found as well. I ended up using a separate material for the transparent areas and applied the same albedo with transparency image.

Cheers,
Wes
If you are saying that, that mean there is no other way at the moment :D I hope so it will be possible later :)
Anyway if you would like to render your models in high resolution almost in real time (4k 60FPS, 10000x8000 pixels, or even more) Renderator will be released soon :)
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/renderator.381844/#post-2480894

Sorry for not responding about result but was able to test it today and as you said: the same textures on two materials, but one of them is opaque, second transparent. Here is result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9BwurcM2ew
Thanks for patient :) I hope so it will be able to have it in one material soon :)
Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:56:55 pm

trying to inport in Unity 5.3.3f1 here the result with the correction:

and here how appear in substance:

I applied only the texture of the table and of the main "body" but i already see strange result.

I think I'm missing something.
Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 04:25:53 pm

trying to inport in Unity 5.3.3f1 here the result with the correction:

and here how appear in substance:

I applied only the texture of the table and of the main "body" but i already see strange result.

I think I'm missing something.

HI,

Unity no longer needs a correction on the smoothness (glossiness) map. They are now using GGX as default. This looks like the smoothness map is not being interpreted correctly. I am in the process of updating our external rendering Substance Painter docs for Unity to reflect the changes they made in 5.3+.

Here is the example project in Unity that is used in the updated docs.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kpy4r93tawukdo1/unity.zip?dl=0

Cheers,
Wes

Hey Wes,
is there a sample Substance Painter file we can d/l for that Unity scene?

It would help us troubleshoot our Substance export settings and material set up, basically if we are getting 1 to 1 results (or close enough) from that scene to what it looks like in Unity it would narrow it down to user/art workflow error.
Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 03:58:01 am

Hey Wes,
is there a sample Substance Painter file we can d/l for that Unity scene?

It would help us troubleshoot our Substance export settings and material set up, basically if we are getting 1 to 1 results (or close enough) from that scene to what it looks like in Unity it would narrow it down to user/art workflow error.

Hey,

You can download the example unity project from the documentation. I updated the link. Forgot to add it before : )

https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Unity+5

Cheers,
wes

We are getting sometimes Failed to apply substance texture outputs Error code 23 by rebuilding the sbsar materials runtime. The material seems okay, no glitches or visual problems, just the error message.
We are creating new instances of sbsar materials first, using instantiate. Any help would be very appreciated!

HI,

I am completely new to Unity, and have been asked to set up an indoor environment scene using Unity 5.51, importing an fbx and loading substance painter textures.

trying to follow along with the documentation provided at the link, but the doc shows a different interface than I have, and it is causing some confusion.  For example: Unity scene set up 3.

"3. An environment is needed for reflections. The HDR maps from Painter can be used and are located in the following directory. (Allegorithmic\Substance Painter\resources\shelf\allegorithmic\environments)
Import the environment(**where/how?**), set it to be a Cube Map, latitude/longitude. Do NOT check the glossiness checkbox on the cube map texture. This will generate pre-convolved mip maps as opposed to traditional mip maps, which is only the right thing to do when using a reflection probe set to custom.
In all other cases, a pre-convolve step will happen automatically on top which means you'd get pre-convolution on top of an already pre-convolved cube map if glossiness is checked which is incorrect."

this does not seem to explain how to load the environment texture, or set up a material -

I really need a step by step, just to run through this process for the first time - is there another instructional resource? Thanks!
:)

HI,

I am completely new to Unity, and have been asked to set up an indoor environment scene using Unity 5.51, importing an fbx and loading substance painter textures.

trying to follow along with the documentation provided at the link, but the doc shows a different interface than I have, and it is causing some confusion.  For example: Unity scene set up 3.

"3. An environment is needed for reflections. The HDR maps from Painter can be used and are located in the following directory. (Allegorithmic\Substance Painter\resources\shelf\allegorithmic\environments)
Import the environment(**where/how?**), set it to be a Cube Map, latitude/longitude. Do NOT check the glossiness checkbox on the cube map texture. This will generate pre-convolved mip maps as opposed to traditional mip maps, which is only the right thing to do when using a reflection probe set to custom.
In all other cases, a pre-convolve step will happen automatically on top which means you'd get pre-convolution on top of an already pre-convolved cube map if glossiness is checked which is incorrect."

this does not seem to explain how to load the environment texture, or set up a material -

I really need a step by step, just to run through this process for the first time - is there another instructional resource? Thanks!
:)

Hi,

Please take a look at this video. This shows how to setup the scene in Unity. This is showing a substance material, but the process is the same for exported textures from Painter using the Unity export preset.

Cheers,
wes