Author Topic: Pixelated result from Tri-Planar grayscale node  (Read 7034 times)

I attached a .zip with a test graph showing my results, I embedded all my bitmaps.

Hi,

I checked the files. You are using the color triplanar. I would suggest using the grayscale triplanar node. This way, you don't have to use the gradient map as a conversion. I'm not sure why the PNGs are showing as 8 bit. I'll keep investigating.

The files only had a sphere. Do you have the high and low mesh you used to bake the images?

Cheers,
Wes

Ahhh weird, could the pngs being 8bit be the culprit here?  I am texturing just a low poly mesh so no high poly is being used here so the bakes were done sans a normal map. 

If you need the low poly to test some bakes just let me know, I can provide it.

If you need the low poly to test some bakes just let me know, I can provide it.

HI,

I got your email with the low poly. When checking the project files, the issue is that the WSN and Position map isn’t in 16 bit. For the WSN if you don’t have the normal, just set the Baking type to Normal. It will bake the WS normal using the vertex normals. For the Position, you can use the Position from Mesh baker.

With these maps baked at 16 bit, the triplanar will work without pixilation.

Cheers,
Wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hello, just wanted to say this problem right here still occurs in Unity.

I built a relatively complex substance and once I added triplanar to it and got it into Unity the textures would be incredibly pixelated.

Spent quite a long time thinking the problem was somewhere else until I finally decided to look it up online as I couldn't fix it on my own.

I found this post and realized it is exactly what I'm going through. Originally I had the GPU rendering enabled so the program itself does not display the problems but once it's brought into Unity the result is horribly pixelated. I switched SD to the CPU engine and just realized the result produced inside of substance matches perfectly the result of importing the substance into unity so it is definitely still the triplanar node that isn't working.

Any fixes for this on SD5? I imagine there might be a fix already available in SD2017 but even if this is the case I do not wanna use it because it crashes too much so if could get this to work on SD5 it would be much better for me as I do not use 2017 at all At this point.

Has anybody managed to fix this problem? I could use the triplanar working on Unity as I like configuring and generating substances in realtime so I want the result to be obtainable through Unity directly.

Thanks for any tips!

Hello, just wanted to say this problem right here still occurs in Unity.

I built a relatively complex substance and once I added triplanar to it and got it into Unity the textures would be incredibly pixelated.

Spent quite a long time thinking the problem was somewhere else until I finally decided to look it up online as I couldn't fix it on my own.

I found this post and realized it is exactly what I'm going through. Originally I had the GPU rendering enabled so the program itself does not display the problems but once it's brought into Unity the result is horribly pixelated. I switched SD to the CPU engine and just realized the result produced inside of substance matches perfectly the result of importing the substance into unity so it is definitely still the triplanar node that isn't working.

Any fixes for this on SD5? I imagine there might be a fix already available in SD2017 but even if this is the case I do not wanna use it because it crashes too much so if could get this to work on SD5 it would be much better for me as I do not use 2017 at all At this point.

Has anybody managed to fix this problem? I could use the triplanar working on Unity as I like configuring and generating substances in realtime so I want the result to be obtainable through Unity directly.

Thanks for any tips!

Hi,

Within Unity 2017 there will not be a fix for this issue. However, with our new plugin for 2018.1 we will be able to address this. We will finally be able to bring the GPU engine to Unity now that we have a plugin. Once GPU support is added the pixelation issue will go away.

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja