Author Topic: How would you create roughness for snow/rock combination?  (Read 3171 times)

hi,

after searching the web for quiete some time, I could not find any specific informations, on how to do snow.

There is an median value for albedo 243=fresh snow, down to 180 for molten snow.

But, what value to take for roughness-map?
What would you set to be more rough, snow or rock?

For rock I mean just "generally" a mountain...

Would be great to get some help!!!

Cheers

Hey elowan,

It really depends on what you want to achieve. Fresh fallen snow is really rough and doesn't have much reflections on the overall surface.
If it's melting snow you'll get more and more to a water-like roughness value. Try to mix it a bit and you'll have sweet snow.

I hope this helps a bit.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hey Fabian,

ja, that seems to be a good idea  ;)

But - the rock / mountains should be less rough, than the fresh snow and more (or also) less rough than the molten snow?

Less dense means more rough, or am I wrong?
Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 05:09:33 pm

hi,

after searching the web for quiete some time, I could not find any specific informations, on how to do snow.

There is an median value for albedo 243=fresh snow, down to 180 for molten snow.

But, what value to take for roughness-map?
What would you set to be more rough, snow or rock?

For rock I mean just "generally" a mountain...

Would be great to get some help!!!

Cheers

Hi Elowan,

For the Dielectric F0 of snow you can use the IOR for ice. It is a fairly low specular F0 (sRGB 40). In the PBR Utilities, you can use the Dielectric F0 node to get the value. For the roughness, you don't need to worry about a specific value. Roughness is the most artistic map and you really have a lot of freedom, but for snow it will be 100% rough.

The albedo for snow can be varied. For fresh snow it will be fairly high (close to white sRGB 240), but this can be lower for melting snow and dirty snow i.e. less white.

The rock itself can be varied in terms of roughness. Think of dirt on the rock which will scatter light or polished areas of rock perhaps through water runoff.

Cheers,

Wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Great Wes, Thanks!

Did not know about the Dielectric Node!!!

Cheers!

wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com

Great Wes, Thanks!

Did not know about the Dielectric Node!!!

Cheers!

No problem : )

Cheers,

Wes