Author Topic: Different materials on same object question  (Read 6154 times)

Kind of new to texturing and PBR. If I want to create an object that has 2 distinctly different materials, do I need to make 2 different substances and as a result have 2 different materials applied to them (in UE4)? Or can I create 2 materials in substance designer and mask both to make them appear only on certain parts of the model so only one material is used?

Examples would be Wood and Metal or Plastic and Metal on on the same object.

Hey straycat,

you can do both, to be honest.
If you export your bit maps from Substance Painter, for instance, as two materials, you can import them into your target engine and create two different materials from them.
The problem is: You can only attach as many engine-materials to an object as shader-materials were applied to the mesh.

If your mesh has just one material assigned you would need to create one material and blend all your textures inside of it.
It works well and it will reduce the draw calls for your material, but it will get heavier, too.

The blending could result in bad shading, too, in some cases. In real life when there is a surface change, there is also a material change. This means it is more correct to use different materials for every surface change, but it isn't necessary every time.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Ok so if I wanted to for example, texture a weapon that has a metal frame and a wooden stock, and keep all of it in one material I would control the roughness and metallic by a mask before it reaches the final output node?

Related to that question, does substance designer have sample meshes + materials to observe how it is done correctly? I noticed in the substance painter trial, there are example meshes.

Hey straycat,

if you want to use just one material, yes, you could use masks to drive the roughness.

Substance Designer does not provide sample Objects that has been textured, just materials.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Ok so if I wanted to for example, texture a weapon that has a metal frame and a wooden stock, and keep all of it in one material I would control the roughness and metallic by a mask before it reaches the final output node?

Related to that question, does substance designer have sample meshes + materials to observe how it is done correctly? I noticed in the substance painter trial, there are example meshes.

Hi,

You can actually blend these multiple materials using a single material. In SD this is done using the Multi-material Blend node. It takes in a color ID mask that allows you to choose a color region to place a material. This essentially creates a mask, but its much easier to use than trying to mask this manually. I've attached an sbs that shows how blending 2 materials on a mesh with only 1 material works.

Cheers,

wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja