Author Topic: MODO 901 - PBR Substances Render Setup  (Read 24237 times)

Hi,

If you are using MODO 901, you can now use PBR substances with a much easier render setup.

1. On the Substance Material, set it to Physically-Based material and change the Normal_Format property to 1
2. Enable diffuse, normal, metallic*, specular, roughness, ambient occlusion.
3. In the render settings, Global Illumination, enable Importance Sampling
4. For ambient occlusion, set the effect to Specular Amount and set the blending mode to multiply

Metals: Option 1

*For metallic, you can use the metallic mask as a specular amount. The white areas will denote high reflectance. Metal is (70-100%). However, the white will result in 100% specular. This setup can work for raw metals. The metal refectance color value comes from the specular map which is set to specular color.

However, you will get incorrect results if the metal map contains black (0.0) as there will not be a correct value for non-metal (4% reflective). The metallic map doesn't represent specular information. This setup only works when the metallic map is raw metal, but contains some gray values representing a dielectric layer such as thin dirt or grime. The idea is that the white areas of the metal map represents the 70-100% reflective range for raw metals and the dark gray values will decrease the reflective range to for the dielectric layer.

Metals: Option 2

Do not use the metallic map. Instead, use only Specular Map set to Specular Amount. If you have a tinted color for the metal, then you can add a slight tint to the Specular Color input.

Non-Metals:
Use diffuse, normal, specular, roughness and ambient occlusion.
If the material is non metal (dielectric) , then don't enable the metallic map. Instead, use the 4% value for Specular Amount.

I have updated the official documents with this guide.
https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=115507208

Cheers,

Wes

Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 07:11:06 pm
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Very helpful thank you Wes :)
Freelance 3d Artist Modo Substance
Mark TomlinsonMarkBTomlinson - Substance Tools Group

Very helpful thank you Wes :)

Thanks Mark : ) No problem.
Cheers,

Wes

Thanks so much Will

You are a legend! Helped loads!

Thanks so much Will

You are a legend! Helped loads!

Cool, glad that helps : )

Cheers,

Wes

Yay! thanks for this. Got my leather and cloth working with environmental sampling. Cheers!

Yay! thanks for this. Got my leather and cloth working with environmental sampling. Cheers!

Great! Glad that it was helpful.

Cheers,
wes

Hello Wes,

For me the mention workflow from first post not working at all...

Here is examples attached to this post and I am wondering what is wrong?

Best Regards,
Dian

Hello Wes,

For me the mention workflow from first post not working at all...

Here is examples attached to this post and I am wondering what is wrong?

Best Regards,
Dian

Hi Dian,

I'm sorry for the confusion. If you use the metallic map, then you need to have the specular map set to specular color. The metallic map is a trick to get the specular amount in balance when there is a mix of metal and non-metal. Its definitely not the same data, but you can use the gray scale values as the higher values for metal (white in metal map) will serve as the 70-100% reflective value for raw metal. Any darker (gray) values will lower this. If you leave the specular amount at 70-100%, then any dirt or dielectric layer on mixed with metal material will get lower values i.e. the darker values in the metal map.

However, its better to just use the specular outputs and not worry about the metal.

In order to get the correct render, you need to add the specular channel and set it to specular color effect.

I will create a guide that is more clear : ) I'm sorry for this confusion. I will add the guide to the modo 901 docs for the substance plugin.

Cheers,

wes

Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:06:59 pm

Hi Wes,

Nice explanation related to my issue! Thank you Wes!

Sorry for my dumb question, but how to connect the specular map to Metal 006 substance ?

Screenshot has been attached.

Best Regards,
Dian

Hi Wes,

Nice explanation related to my issue! Thank you Wes!

Sorry for my dumb question, but how to connect the specular map to Metal 006 substance ?

Screenshot has been attached.

Best Regards,
Dian

Hi Dian,

I'm glad that was helpful. Since you are using a stock substance from designer, all of the outputs are already available. However, they are not enabled in Substance Designer. You could enable them, create a new output with the usage set to Specular. A quicker way would be to go to open the sbs from this location...

C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Designer\5\resources\packages\materials\pbr

Choose metal_006 and this just publish this substance. In modo, you can select the channels to use. I attached the sbsar file here as well.

Cheers,

Wes

C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Designer\5\resources\packages\materials\pbr

Also how to get these additional parameters for normal map to set it to 1? For me they are missing...

Screenshot is attached.

Also how to get these additional parameters for normal map to set it to 1? For me they are missing...

Screenshot is attached.

The missing parameters were exposed on the substance. It looks like in your version, you don't have these parameters exposed. If you open the original sbs, then publish, you will see the parameters. Take a look at the sbsar attached here.

Cheers,

Wes

Well explained, but still I can't match Substance render with Modo. As you can see from attached files i am trying my best to catch up and setup what was described early, but not happy at all... i have suspicion that Roughness map need to be 2.2, because is not shown the correct color space i think...

FBX attached.

Best Regards,
Dian
Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:25:36 pm

Well explained, but still I can't match Substance render with Modo. As you can see from attached files i am trying my best to catch up and setup what was described early, but not happy at all... i have suspicion that Roughness map need to be 2.2, because is not shown the correct color space i think...

FBX attached.

Best Regards,
Dian

Hi Dian,

Are you using the substance I attached in my post above? You shouldn't need to do any gamma correction when using the substance plugin. The generated maps are set correctly by the substance engine. Diffuse, basecolor, specular are sRGB and all other maps are set to linear. The thumbnail in the modo Image tab my look incorrect, but that is just a display issue with modo.

I have attached my modo scene with the background env image and substance.

Here is what I am getting for the render.

Also, we have updated versions of the plugin that have been sent to the modo dev team. You can try the latest version.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4595383/substance-modo_2.1.0_build165.zip

Cheers,

Wes
Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:47:43 pm