Author Topic: Please sell Substance Live to me  (Read 1883 times)

Hi there,

I'm going to buy Substance products today, but I have a dilemma. I'm not sure if I need Bitmap2Material - it seems like a superfluous piece of the package. Right now Steam is selling Painter and Designer for about $180 in total.

If I were to buy live, I would of course get the drops and B2M (even though this doesn't look as essential for me). By the sound of it I would also get Painter 2, SD6 and B2M4 if I got live (seeing as they upgrade once a year).

Here are my questions:

1. Is B2M an essential product for texturing with Allegorithmic software?
2. If I get live and the yearly product upgrade occurs, does the portion I have already paid get discounted from Substance Live 2016? (The mod here says "some" of the amount gets transferred, or is it the entire amount!? For example, If I paid 6 months of subscription for 2015 would I only pay 10 more in 2016 and get all the new upgrades inclusive?)
3. Basically, if you were me, would you buy Designer and Painter for $180 with the knowledge that I may end up upgrading Painter to version 2, or would you get Live?

Sorry for the complicated post, but money is money :P

Thanks

Hi there,

I'm going to buy Substance products today, but I have a dilemma. I'm not sure if I need Bitmap2Material - it seems like a superfluous piece of the package. Right now Steam is selling Painter and Designer for about $180 in total.

If I were to buy live, I would of course get the drops and B2M (even though this doesn't look as essential for me). By the sound of it I would also get Painter 2, SD6 and B2M4 if I got live (seeing as they upgrade once a year).

Here are my questions:

2. If I get live and the yearly product upgrade occurs, does the portion I have already paid get discounted from Substance Live 2016? (The mod here says "some" of the amount gets transferred, or is it the entire amount!? For example, If I paid 6 months of subscription for 2015 would I only pay 10 more in 2016 and get all the new upgrades inclusive?)
3. Basically, if you were me, would you buy Designer and Painter for $180 with the knowledge that I may end up upgrading Painter to version 2, or would you get Live?

Thanks

Substance Live is only $19.90 a month or $299 one time payment, let's be grateful:) I'll be honest with you and say that I've only used B2M only a handful of the time that I've had Substance Live, but that's only because I am a bit lazy in learning another piece of software;) But I have had a chance to look at it and read up on it and it is just as an amazing piece of software as SD/SP. It pretty much allows everyone to never really have to use Photoshop or another similar software for anything. You can use the whole suite for all your needs.

https://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-live/monthly-payments

https://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-live/faq

As for the Steam Summer Sale...well, it already sucks that Steam takes a big chunk of the profits from whatever is sold via Steam (and it's still the same % even during sales), so you're always better off buying directly from the company than 3rd party (DRM at that).

But damn, they are giving it out at $240.00 for the whole thing, that's a pretty nice deal. (But you wouldn't get Live as far as I know)

Hi there,

Here are my questions:

Thanks

So to answer your actual questions:

1. Essential only if you need it in your workflow. But yes, I can see it being very valuable.
2. So far, until we get further word, it does look like only a portion of what we've paid so far in Live gets transferred.
3. I would get Live at the monthly rate, $20.00 and you are not forced to upgrade, you can keep your current live version once it is fully paid off. Or use a portion of it and be kept updated. But, if you can do without "annual upgrades", then buy it at $180, learn it inside and out and be a Substance God and you probably wouldn't need upgrades anyway, just like some people are still using Maya/Max from 2011/2012...

Whatever will get you the job done, that's all that you should be worried about.

Hey knifemedia,

You'll automatically be a Substance LIVE customer if you own all three of the following software products:
- Substance Designer 5
- Substance Painter 1
- Bitmap 2 Material 3

It doesn't matter were you bought those software packages. If you own them (with proof) you'll get Substance LIVE.
Substance LIVE, however, will not grant you automatically access to the next versions of Substance Software. You'll have to buy them additionally when they come out.

If you subscribe to Substance LIVE on a monthly basis you'll have to choose if a new version comes out. You could pay the remaining value to get the 2015 release software or you'll keep on paying monthly to get listed as a 2016 Substance LIVE customer.

Bitmap 2 Material can be very essential based on the workflow you have. Bitmap 2 Material does convert images into texture maps, not more. If you need that: It's a great piece of Software :)

As far as I know you won't get discounts or so if a new software release (2016) comes out if you pay monthly, but I'm not sure about that. Nicolas Liatti can answer that (and I'm pretty sure he will).

I am honest with you: I don't like Steam and I wouldn't pay them money that fast. ;)

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

I appreciate everyone's answers! I think the clincher for me now is the amount of discount I will get from 2016 if I choose to upgrade. I read in another thread here that the software upgrade is automatic (as per admin). If this could be clarified fully it would help me greatly.

I appreciate everyone's answers! I think the clincher for me now is the amount of discount I will get from 2016 if I choose to upgrade. I read in another thread here that the software upgrade is automatic (as per admin). If this could be clarified fully it would help me greatly.

Hi,

We haven't decided the exact discount price just yet, but it will be between 30-50% off for the Live 2015 - Live 2016 upgrade. The upgrade is not mandatory. You opt to not upgrade and your 2015 software will still work without limitation. The upgrade is not automatic. You can also choose to pause the monthly payments if you like as well. Let's say you choose to update to 2016, but then don't want to pay for a few months, then you can pause the payment and pick it back on when you are ready.

Cheers,

Wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks for the info. I decided to go with the Steam option. In hindsight it was the best choice, as the functionality of SD5 overlaps enough with B2M.

Great products! I'm busy learning how to integrate them into my pipeline. Hopefully our next game will use your products in full...  8)

Thanks for the info. I decided to go with the Steam option. In hindsight it was the best choice, as the functionality of SD5 overlaps enough with B2M.

Great products! I'm busy learning how to integrate them into my pipeline. Hopefully our next game will use your products in full...  8)

Hi,

That is awesome! Thanks : )

Also, you can link your Steam account to your allegorithmic account and you will then get access to the non-steam versions as well : ) You just need to create an allegorithmic account on our site and in product downloads there is an option to link your Steam account. Best of both worlds!

Cheers,

wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi,

That is awesome! Thanks : )

Also, you can link your Steam account to your allegorithmic account and you will then get access to the non-steam versions as well : ) You just need to create an allegorithmic account on our site and in product downloads there is an option to link your Steam account. Best of both worlds!

Cheers,

wes

Have done so  ;D