Author Topic: Curvature and Ambbient Occlusion baking  (Read 1979 times)

Anyone have tips for baking the ambient occlusion and curvature maps in MODO for use in Substance Designer? Every time I try to bake a map over 1k in SD it crashes, so it appears my graphics card just isn't up to the challenge. Or better yet, is there a CPU option in SD that avoids the problem all together?

Baking AO in MODO is pretty straight forward. Go to the shading panel, add layer > render outputs > lighting > AO.

For the curvature map, I'd use the curvature node in SD, you need a normal map input for it.  Or, you could try xnormal if you want something more 'accurate' from high to low poly, since you can tell xnormal to bake using cpu/gpu.

I'm pretty good at using MODO, was really just wondering if there are any specific settings used that anyone may have discovered that work well with SD, rather than doing a bunch of trial and error with it myself. How picky is SD about the maps used, will just about anything that's close work? Thanks

I do all of my bakes in SD except for normal map when I take advantage of the rounded edge shader in modo..so can't really tell about specific settings, sorry.

I've just found this, you might want to give it a try:
http://www.gfx3d.net/articles/curvature-maps-in-modo-for-use-in-substance-painter

Every time I try to bake a map over 1k in SD it crashes, so it appears my graphics card just isn't up to the challenge.
Is that a hard crash or is it the OS that kills the GPU driver because the computation took too long (TDR error) ? I suppose the second, but I'd like to be sure. Also how big where the meshes, and what's your GPU ?

Or better yet, is there a CPU option in SD that avoids the problem all together?
For the AO, you can use the "AO from Mesh" baker, which is mostly CPU based, and therefore more robust but also slower.
For curvature, there is currently no CPU baker in Designer.

Whenever I try to bake a map it was resetting the video card message, followed by a hard crash of the app. My video card is a 2GB GTX670, getting a little long in the tooth, but gonna have to suffice for a while.

Thanks for the link Zuhoch, looks like what i'm after!

I'd like to ask, which workflow should I use with the conjunction Modo-SP?

First:
  • Bake ONLY a normal map inside of Modo utilizing round edge shader and then import it into Substance Painter
  • Inside of SP bake the ambient occlusion, curvature maps and other. Does it give correct values for rounded surfaces (via the baked normal map with round edge shader)?

Second
  • Bake the normal map, ambient occlusion and curvature maps inside of Modo 
  • Import these textures inside of SP
Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:48:50 am

HI James!

Just curious, why are you trying to bake the curvature in MODO instead of Designer?

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

HI James!

Just curious, why are you trying to bake the curvature in MODO instead of Designer?

Cheers,
Wes

Sorry?

HI James!

Cheers,
Wes

Sorry?

Oh, sorry for the confusion. I was replying to the original post.

If I use the rounded edge shader, I will bake that normal map in MODO. However, I bake all other maps in Substance Painter. Check out this video for the workflow I use.

https://www.pixelfondue.com/blog/2017/2/8/wes-blog

Cheers,
wes

Yes, I've seen it. Thank you Wes for awesome video!

I just wanted to clarify -  Substance Painter bakes all the other maps such as ambient occlusion and curvature (based on the Modo's normal map with the rounded edge shader) preserving rounded feature. And there is no need at all to bake the ambient occlusion and curvature maps inside of Modo. Right?
Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:11:47 am

Yes, I've seen it. Thank you Wes for awesome video!

I just wanted to clarify -  Substance Painter bakes all the other maps such as ambient occlusion and curvature (based on the Modo's normal map with the rounded edge shader) preserving rounded feature. And there is no need at all to bake the ambient occlusion and curvature maps inside of Modo. Right?

Yes, that is correct : ) You can just bake the normal in modo as it uses the rounded edge. Painter can bake the other maps much more easily.

Cheers,
wes