Author Topic: Substance Painter Texturing for Beginners  (Read 93219 times)

This is fantastic!!!

If anyone has anything even remotely close on Substance Designer please share. Love the sharing of knowledge!!!

You guys are great! Thanks for the tutorial!

Hi Wes, and substance community!,
Thanks for this tutorial series, its helping me a lot to understand how SP works.
In my case, Im interested in SP => Unity5 workflow.

At "Substance Painter Tutorial – Scifi Crate Project 10: Exporting textures for UE4 and Unity 5"
It says that for Unity5 workflow we have to export the model using targent space from our 3D app into SP.
Now, in project files, I see a "scifi_container_unity_low.fbx", I guess this is the one with tangent space export option checked, the one I should use in SP.
What about the high res model?, I can't see a .fbx file for Unity.
What should be my export config from Zbrush into SP?,

I have seen this tool before but never tried it, now that I have,
I won't use other for 3d painting.  ;D
Regards,

hi there,

I am just a little confused:

In SD preferences, I got "Unity tangent space plugin" set, instead of MikkT.
I do the normal bakes in OpenGL orientation. My target engine is unity5.1

Do I have to make changes here, or is everything really setup correct?

I mean, I got some seams in my latest bakes, that may be because of non-synced tangents?

Another issue: FBX should be exported "with tangents & Bi-normals" for the SP - unity workflow, like suggested in the video. I am a MODO user, but in "System-File I/O - FBX", there is no such option. How do I export FBX (or OBJ) from MODO to SP/SD "with tangents & Bi-normals" ?

Cheers!
Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:22:38 am

can we start a petition to raise Wes's sallery? Like seriously. These videos are of landmark quality. AND FREE.  FREEEEEEE. this is gr8 m8 i r8 8/8

[spelling edit]

Great series - once again, Wes is short for 'Wizard', right?  :-)

One tiny request: a description of the optimal fbx export settings in the current version of Blender (2.75) would be great - they seem to have fixed a lot of issues with that recently.

EDIT: Specifically recommended normals and tangents settings for both game engines covered in the series.
Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:10:11 pm

Hi Wes, and substance community!,
Thanks for this tutorial series, its helping me a lot to understand how SP works.
In my case, Im interested in SP => Unity5 workflow.

At "Substance Painter Tutorial – Scifi Crate Project 10: Exporting textures for UE4 and Unity 5"
It says that for Unity5 workflow we have to export the model using targent space from our 3D app into SP.
Now, in project files, I see a "scifi_container_unity_low.fbx", I guess this is the one with tangent space export option checked, the one I should use in SP.
What about the high res model?, I can't see a .fbx file for Unity.
What should be my export config from Zbrush into SP?,

I have seen this tool before but never tried it, now that I have,
I won't use other for 3d painting.  ;D
Regards,

Hi,

Thanks! Happy to hear you like the videos. The scifi_container_unity_low.fbx is the version that contains the tangents. For the high res mesh, you don't need to export the tangents. It only matters for the low res mesh.

For zbrush, its more complicated as they don't have an option for exporting tangents. Technically, you should open the low res mesh in another application and export it with tangents. The problem is that Painter doesn't currently have a tangent space that matches Unity. This is why you need the tangents in the FBX.

The tangents in the FBX file are used to compute the normals. In this case, you need to have Unity import the tangents in the FBX.

With Substance Designer, we have tangent plugins for both Unity and UE4. We will add this to Painter as well.

Cheers,

Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

hi there,

I am just a little confused:

In SD preferences, I got "Unity tangent space plugin" set, instead of MikkT.
I do the normal bakes in OpenGL orientation. My target engine is unity5.1

Do I have to make changes here, or is everything really setup correct?

I mean, I got some seams in my latest bakes, that may be because of non-synced tangents?

Another issue: FBX should be exported "with tangents & Bi-normals" for the SP - unity workflow, like suggested in the video. I am a MODO user, but in "System-File I/O - FBX", there is no such option. How do I export FBX (or OBJ) from MODO to SP/SD "with tangents & Bi-normals" ?

Cheers!

Hi Elowan,

For Modo, I submitted the a report to have FBX export tangents. Its still being looked at : ) I keep getting emails that say its fixed, then being worked on... I'm not sure what they are doing in this case : )

If you are baking with Designer, you don't need to worry about tangents in the FBX. Just make sure you use the UnityTSpace plugin and that the "always recompute tangent frames" option is enabled. It should be by default when you choose the UnityTspace plugin and no tangents are in the FBX file, then SD will use the UnityTspace to compute the normal. Then in Unity, you need to have it set to Calculate Tangents on import. This way both Unity and SD are calculating the tangents, but they are using the same tangent basis.

This should take care of most issues. For the seams you are getting, are you using a single smoothing group? Using a single smoothing group for the entire mesh and the correct tangent basis should take care of it.

Cheers,

Wes

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted thank you all very much for the great comments. It's so awesome to hear that you are enjoying the videos and are finding them useful. It's been really uplifting to read your comments and feedback. I greatly appreciate your support and it really helps to push me to do more.

I'll do my best to keep cranking out new series. I will definitely recreate this beginning series format for Designer. Next up, I'll be working on a rock modeling and texturing series.

Thanks so much everyone, it really mean a lot to me : )

Cheers,

Wes 

Am I the only one who can't open the 'scifi_container_completed' spp-file that comes with the project files without Substance painter crashing?. I'm running a GTX 980 and windows 10. The memory usage of my graphics card goes up past 4 GB when i try to open the file and Painter crash.

Am I the only one who can't open the 'scifi_container_completed' spp-file that comes with the project files without Substance painter crashing?. I'm running a GTX 980 and windows 10. The memory usage of my graphics card goes up past 4 GB when i try to open the file and Painter crash.

Hi,

It should load up without issues. I'm using an Nvidia GTX 970M. What driver version are you using? We have having issues with windows 10 and 3.5.x drivers.

Cheers,

Wes

Thanks for your awesome series!!
In the last video "Substance Painter Tutorial – Scifi Crate Project 10: Exporting textures for UE4 and Unity 5"
The emissive texture shows so beautiful in UE4.
But the emissive seems a little darker in Unity 5.
Is it because the emissive in Unity worse than in UE4?
Sorry that I am just a starter and I got confused.

Thanks for your awesome series!!
In the last video "Substance Painter Tutorial – Scifi Crate Project 10: Exporting textures for UE4 and Unity 5"
The emissive texture shows so beautiful in UE4.
But the emissive seems a little darker in Unity 5.
Is it because the emissive in Unity worse than in UE4?
Sorry that I am just a starter and I got confused.

Hi,

Thanks! So glad you like the videos.

UE4 has a much better bloom post process that is visible in the viewport. Also, in the UE4 material, I multiply the emissive map by a constant value. You can see this in the attached image.

For Unity, there is a fantastic image effect shader called Sonic Ether Natural Bloom. It's 20.00 but its fantastic for Unity. Very high end. I'm so glad I picked this up. However, it only works in the game view.
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/17324

Cheers,

Wes

Great tutorial series and loving the new features in SP

Hi,

It should load up without issues. I'm using an Nvidia GTX 970M. What driver version are you using? We have having issues with windows 10 and 3.5.x drivers.

Cheers,

Wes

Hi

Im using 355.60 which is the latest one. Any version you recommend I could try?