Author Topic: Substance Painter Texturing for Beginners  (Read 100241 times)

This is what I'd been waiting for. I'd tried many times to really comprehend this material with previous series like the Substance to Unreal series, which was great by the way. But this is game changing. I'm only 1.5 videos in and I can tell this is it. Thanks for all the hard work.

This is what I'd been waiting for. I'd tried many times to really comprehend this material with previous series like the Substance to Unreal series, which was great by the way. But this is game changing. I'm only 1.5 videos in and I can tell this is it. Thanks for all the hard work.

Hi,

Thanks very much! Very glad to hear you like the videos.

Cheers,

Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hey Wes,
There's one thing I was wondering about with "Match" feature in Substance Painter. I understand how it works and it does seem better than a 3d modelling program where you have to explode the model. But what if you have floating geometry with your high poly model? Obviously there won't be a low res version for that so I'm not sure how that would work. I'm sure the detail can be achieved in Substance Painter but what if the floating geometry was already created, would there be any way around it? :)

Hey Wes,
There's one thing I was wondering about with "Match" feature in Substance Painter. I understand how it works and it does seem better than a 3d modelling program where you have to explode the model. But what if you have floating geometry with your high poly model? Obviously there won't be a low res version for that so I'm not sure how that would work. I'm sure the detail can be achieved in Substance Painter but what if the floating geometry was already created, would there be any way around it? :)

Hi Matthew,

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean with floating geo for the high res and there won't be a low res version for that geo. Can you post a screen shot? Do you mean if the high res has some geo that is not connected or very near other mesh parts? In this case, the geo is most likely separated enough that the raycast will not intersect with other geo and it will work fine.

Cheers,
Wes

Hi Wes,

Yes I mean having high-res geometry near each other. I've added two images so you know what I mean. Even though the geometry is not connected to each other, it still gives the illusion that they are together. I just wanted to know if this method (having floating geometry) could also be used in Substance Painter. So far I've only seen you import high poly models and low poly models and create normal detail from there and I understand how that works perfectly. But if there was high res geometry that was floating next to an object to help with the normal map (like in the images), is it possible for the Substance Painter method to still be used? :) Like I can deal with the floating geometry in 3ds max, I understand how to project detail in that program. But if I was going to try and get that detail through baking textures in Substance Painter, would I need to export the floating geometry separately? Or can I just attach all the floating pieces together and then just export it all out as a single .fbx file? :)

Hi Wes,

Yes I mean having high-res geometry near each other. I've added two images so you know what I mean. Even though the geometry is not connected to each other, it still gives the illusion that they are together. I just wanted to know if this method (having floating geometry) could also be used in Substance Painter. So far I've only seen you import high poly models and low poly models and create normal detail from there and I understand how that works perfectly. But if there was high res geometry that was floating next to an object to help with the normal map (like in the images), is it possible for the Substance Painter method to still be used? :) Like I can deal with the floating geometry in 3ds max, I understand how to project detail in that program. But if I was going to try and get that detail through baking textures in Substance Painter, would I need to export the floating geometry separately? Or can I just attach all the floating pieces together and then just export it all out as a single .fbx file? :)

Hi,

You don't need to export the floating geo separately. You can just leave it in 1 FBX file. In this case, you wouldn't use the match by name. The Match setting needs to be set to "Always." This means all geo will be computed by the ray.

Cheers,

wes

Hello,

i'm currently following this tutorial (Substance Painter Tutorial – Scifi Crate Project 02: Painting height details )

I use painter 1.5 and the cursor do something very strange, it's drawing correctly in the good angle but it show a angle rotation, why? I have missed something ?  :D

Regards,

Wow. Completely amazed. I think I can finally get a grasp on the basics and start using this incredibly power program.
One question though, I am watching it and noticed that you use maya. What if any changes have to be done while exporting using 3ds max?
Thanks.

Hello,

i'm currently following this tutorial (Substance Painter Tutorial – Scifi Crate Project 02: Painting height details )

I use painter 1.5 and the cursor do something very strange, it's drawing correctly in the good angle but it show a angle rotation, why? I have missed something ?  :D

Regards,

Hi,

You are not doing anything wrong. That happened to me as well. It's something with the mesh. I reported it to the devs. I tried to reproduce it on other meshes and couldn't. I thought it had something to do with mirroring and the tangents getting reversed but I can't seem to fix it. Using the same mirror operations, I couldn't reproduce it on other meshes. I'm sorry for this issue. The devs are looking into it.

Cheers,

Wes

Thanks Wes I understand it now. Another question though. When I export my high poly model for Substance Painter, what exporter settings do I choose? In the "Model Preparation 03: Tangents & shading for Normal maps" video you only show what settings to set for the low poly models for different engines :) What about for the high poly models? :)

Wow. Completely amazed. I think I can finally get a grasp on the basics and start using this incredibly power program.
One question though, I am watching it and noticed that you use maya. What if any changes have to be done while exporting using 3ds max?
Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks! So glad you liked the videos. There is nothing to do differently with Max. The workflow is the same.

Cheers,

wes

Thanks Wes I understand it now. Another question though. When I export my high poly model for Substance Painter, what exporter settings do I choose? In the "Model Preparation 03: Tangents & shading for Normal maps" video you only show what settings to set for the low poly models for different engines :) What about for the high poly models? :)

Hey Matthew,

Oh, you don't need to worry about the high poly. I just export it as quads and smoothing enabled. You don't need to worry about tangents. Its basically just a straight export for the high poly.

Cheers,

Wes

Hi,

You are not doing anything wrong. That happened to me as well. It's something with the mesh. I reported it to the devs. I tried to reproduce it on other meshes and couldn't. I thought it had something to do with mirroring and the tangents getting reversed but I can't seem to fix it. Using the same mirror operations, I couldn't reproduce it on other meshes. I'm sorry for this issue. The devs are looking into it.

Cheers,

Wes

Ok, it's an exceptional issue.

I continue to following these tutorials, it's a great work.

Regards,

Thanks Wes, everything works fine now :) Another part of Substance Painter 1.5 that is confusing for me is Export Settings. In the previous version the export settings were simple and very easy to check off which maps you didn't want exported. But in the latest version, I'm finding it difficult in the Configuration tab. Do you think it's possible to make a video that's solely based on the export settings? I mean for example with Unity 5 (Standard/Specular), I know what Albedo is but I don't know why AlbedoTransparency is set in the preset for it. And I don't understand "Create: Gray, RGB, R+G+B, RGB+A and so forth so maybe going more in depth about how it works would be good :)

That's a great idea, but in the meantime there is a support page that helped me when I encountered the same confusion.

https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Creating+export+presets