Author Topic: Substance Painter Texturing for Beginners  (Read 46596 times)

In this video you showed the suffix for directx export, which is dx.
what is the suffix for Opengl?

thank you!

I don't know why but I can't download the project file. :(   

NM~~ Succeeded to downloaded it yesterday! 

In this video you showed the suffix for directx export, which is dx.
what is the suffix for Opengl?

thank you!

Hi,

It can be anything you want actually. I use ogl.

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com

NM~~ Succeeded to downloaded it yesterday!

Great : ) Glad to hear you were able to download the files.

Cheers,
Wes

I am extremely confused with the fact the source files do not contain the UV fbx mesh to redo the UV's on the sci-fi crate , thus hindering me from learning step by step as I am missing files for some reason , ive unzipped the folder twice to no avail of finding the UV scifi mesh

I am extremely confused with the fact the source files do not contain the UV fbx mesh to redo the UV's on the sci-fi crate , thus hindering me from learning step by step as I am missing files for some reason , ive unzipped the folder twice to no avail of finding the UV scifi mesh

Hi,

I'm sorry for the confusion. You should have all of the meshes in the meshes folder.

Cheers,
Wes

Hi!

I've just started to look at this Substance Painter tutorial (I'm on 02: Importing Meshes) but I'm already confused. At around 4:06 in the vid, you start to explain that you've already done some work (height information) on the mesh and that you want to update it/change it, and 'in particular...' the UV layout.

Am I missing something? How did you get to this point? Why does the mesh/UV layout need updating?

Or maybe it's not important right now?

I have to admit, jumping ahead/not sticking to a step-by-step explanation is a pet peeve for me. The vid at this point assumes I know how you got here, and why you want to do this next step. Some folks will naturally get what's going on, but could you clarify for us thickies?

Cheers,

Darren.

I get Bakind failed when I try to bake the ID map. Top texture gets baked but the bottom part just gets this error

Hi Wes,

I've just run into the same problem animatedlife did: I got to the part of the tutorial that described reimporting the mesh with changed UVs. This is a screen grab from that point:

You can see it specifies a file named scifi_container_UVChange_low.fbx, which I don't see in my project files directory under scifiCrate/meshes. And my list of files matches the list of files you posted above, which of course doesn't include scifi_container_UVChange_low.fbx either.

I'm working with the project files I downloaded at the start of this thread.

On the assumption this isn't a crucial part of the tutorial I'm just going to plow ahead, but you can see how this might be confusing.

Overall though, great tutorials. I got all the way through the Designer videos and am looking forward to absorbing all I can about Painter.

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm sorry for the confusion. You should have all of the meshes in the meshes folder.

Cheers,
Wes

Hi again Wes,

More confusion, I'm afraid: I'm at stage in Fundamentals 03: Importing Textures where it's showing me how to import normal maps:

But this is all I see in the project files I downloaded from the first post in this thread:

Project files for this scifiChest are also available on SubstanceShare:

https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries/102

Thinking that might be more up-to-date, I downloaded it and this is what I see in its texture directory:

Normal maps! However while the one on the match appears to match the one in the video (at least from what I can tell looking at the thumbnails) the one on the right doesn't. And neither file name matches those in the screen grab of the video.

Anyway, as with my post about the FBX, this doesn't seem crucial to the tutorial. But it is confusing enough to make me stop and try to figure out why I'm not seeing what's in the video, causing me about a half hour of digging so far.

Thanks!

And one other hitch I've just run into: The video shows you dragging the normal maps into the texture tab, and they appear in that window without complication. However when I try it I get this dialog:

I tried one or two variations on the "Import your resources to:" dropdown, but got weird results that still didn't end up with the normal textures in the texture field.

Seems like a feature that's been added since the tutorial. Naturally it must be documented somewhere and I'll keep an eye out for it, but it's a bit of a snag when following along this particular tutorial.

Incidentally, apologies if this is all covered in this forum - I searched a bit but came up empty.

Just curious, at 6:25 or so in the video:

...You assign a procedural noise to the roughness channel of a material; following along I added "Dirt 3" and immediately decided I didn't like that and wanted to change it. The only way I could see to do that was to hit the X and start that step over. Is that really the only option?

Thanks!

Hi!

I've just started to look at this Substance Painter tutorial (I'm on 02: Importing Meshes) but I'm already confused. At around 4:06 in the vid, you start to explain that you've already done some work (height information) on the mesh and that you want to update it/change it, and 'in particular...' the UV layout.

Am I missing something? How did you get to this point? Why does the mesh/UV layout need updating?

Or maybe it's not important right now?

I have to admit, jumping ahead/not sticking to a step-by-step explanation is a pet peeve for me. The vid at this point assumes I know how you got here, and why you want to do this next step. Some folks will naturally get what's going on, but could you clarify for us thickies?

Cheers,

Darren.

HI Darren,

Very sorry for the confusion with this. I agree that it's not good the way I did this. My idea was to use this section to show how you can update the project mesh you imported as we often get questions about this, but it ended up more confusing as it looks like I skipped over a part in the video.

I am working on a new version of the course and will be sure to handle this differently and give the mesh update a separate video.

Cheers,
wes

Hi again Wes,

More confusion, I'm afraid: I'm at stage in Fundamentals 03: Importing Textures where it's showing me how to import normal maps:

But this is all I see in the project files I downloaded from the first post in this thread:

Project files for this scifiChest are also available on SubstanceShare:

Thinking that might be more up-to-date, I downloaded it and this is what I see in its texture directory:

Normal maps! However while the one on the match appears to match the one in the video (at least from what I can tell looking at the thumbnails) the one on the right doesn't. And neither file name matches those in the screen grab of the video.

Anyway, as with my post about the FBX, this doesn't seem crucial to the tutorial. But it is confusing enough to make me stop and try to figure out why I'm not seeing what's in the video, causing me about a half hour of digging so far.

Thanks!

Hi Spencer,

I'm very sorry for the confusion with the project files. This is my 100% fault : ) I only uploaded the project files for the completed course and this is very confusing when trying to follow the fundamentals chapters.

In the fundamental section, I go through the basics of the software and in the project section we go through a step-by-step project. Mistakenly, I didn't upload the files for the fundamental chapters. I've updated the project files on Substance Share to include the missing files you mentioned in your posts.

https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries/102

I'm very sorry you had to waste time digging for files. Thanks very much for your patience and sticking with me through the videos despite these issues.

Also another issue is this course is now outdated as we updated Painter so fast since the course was first released. I have a playlist which covers the specifics for each update we made to Painter.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB0wXHrWAmCzkaCwt_dE6YS8ifttRTqNS

For example, we removed the drag and drop resource to the shelf and improved with a new dialog workflow that allows you to tag texture resources.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa23w1XRbZ4&index=14&list=PLB0wXHrWAmCzkaCwt_dE6YS8ifttRTqNS

I am working on a new Painter course which will be up to date with all the new features and workflows. I will be sure to structure this new course so that its easy to follow for each video and contain appropriate resource files : )

Cheers,
wes