Author Topic: MODO layers/materials/UVs -> Painter TextureSet List  (Read 1176 times)

Just started getting into Painter… watched Wes’ Painter fundamentals tutorials a few times… and started by just seeing what I need to do to go from MODO to Painter.

I’m experiencing some quirkiness - either it’s me or Painter:

In MODO I create a box, give it a material (box1a), bevel out a poly a few times to create another box, give it a material (box1b).
On the same layer I repeated the process with another box with materials (box2a and box2b). So, two boxes each with two materials.

Export as .fbx

New project in Painter, bring in my box.fbx object.
The Painter TextureSet List has box1a, box1b, box2a, and box2b materials displayed.
If I click on the button for the box1b (green) material in the TextureSet list (to hide the box1b material), the visibility for the box2a (blue) material is turned off instead…

So am I doing something wrong or is Painter giving me a hard time? Originally I had a separate UV for each box. When I experienced the Painter problem, I thought maybe it was the UV’s and gave each material its own UV. Still happens.

Thanks for any clarification.
-Dave

Ok, so after scouring these forums and MODO forums it looks like the problem I'm having is a MODO fbx problem. Great. So until it's fixed (currently a year+ old problem) you can't have multiple materials on one object. Not too crippling.  :P

-Dave

Have you had any issues with exporting materials from MODO FBX? In 801, if I use more than 2 materials, the IDs are getting mixed up. Have you seen this?

This isn't an issue with our SP or SD FBX importer. I am still looking at modo's FBX, but I am seeing an issue with multiple materials assigned to a single mesh. The material IDs are getting mixed up and it shows incorrect in our software as well as Maya and Unity.

From my experience with MODO, their FBX has always had issues. Modo is a great application, but ultimately, I ended up switching from modo to maya as I could never trust exporting content from modo to other applications. I had so many issues with exporting to Unity that I essentially gave up. I also tested their latest FBX as they have a new direction for it. It's much better, but still had issues.

I will investigate further this week to see if perhaps my issue is an isolated incident.

Ok, so after scouring these forums and MODO forums it looks like the problem I'm having is a MODO fbx problem. Great. So until it's fixed (currently a year+ old problem) you can't have multiple materials on one object. Not too crippling.  :P

-Dave

Have you had any issues with exporting materials from MODO FBX? In 801, if I use more than 2 materials, the IDs are getting mixed up. Have you seen this?

This isn't an issue with our SP or SD FBX importer. I am still looking at modo's FBX, but I am seeing an issue with multiple materials assigned to a single mesh. The material IDs are getting mixed up and it shows incorrect in our software as well as Maya and Unity.

From my experience with MODO, their FBX has always had issues. Modo is a great application, but ultimately, I ended up switching from modo to maya as I could never trust exporting content from modo to other applications. I had so many issues with exporting to Unity that I essentially gave up. I also tested their latest FBX as they have a new direction for it. It's much better, but still had issues.

I will investigate further this week to see if perhaps my issue is an isolated incident.

HI Dave,

I'm sorry for this issue. I was in the same boat as well. I love modo, but had to switch to other apps due to the FBX issues with Unity. Modo's FBX support is getting better.

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Wes-

Thanks for the reply... not having multiple materials per object isn't a deal breaker for me for MODO -> Painter... the time that Painter saves vs Photoshop back and forth is worth it.

Also, I just wanted to say thank you again for the Painter tutorials. The Fundamentals was just plain AWESOME and made getting into Painter painless. Watched them a few times... even had them playing on a second monitor to follow along in Painter. After getting some Painter solo time under my belt I'm planning to get into Designer a little too. I'm hoping your Designer series will be just as awesome.

Thanks again Wes.
-Dave

Hi Wes-

Thanks for the reply... not having multiple materials per object isn't a deal breaker for me for MODO -> Painter... the time that Painter saves vs Photoshop back and forth is worth it.

Also, I just wanted to say thank you again for the Painter tutorials. The Fundamentals was just plain AWESOME and made getting into Painter painless. Watched them a few times... even had them playing on a second monitor to follow along in Painter. After getting some Painter solo time under my belt I'm planning to get into Designer a little too. I'm hoping your Designer series will be just as awesome.

Thanks again Wes.
-Dave

Thanks very much Dave! I really appreciate it. So glad you liked the videos.

Cheers,
Wes

Hi Wes-

Sorry for brushing off the cobwebs on this thread... still on modo 801, but current with Painter...

Just wondering if you've used the current version of modo (11.1) and does it fix the material ID problems (from OP above) when exporting FBXs for multi-material meshes to Painter.

I downloaded a trial version of modo two months ago, got tied up with other things, trial expired without me testing the FBX exporting, then found I couldn't download again due to  a one-download-per-point-update rule.   :-[

I was directed to your video "Baking MODO's Rounded Edge shader for Substance Painter" on PixelFondue, but that didn't really address the material ID quirk.

Thanks!
-Dave
Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 06:06:48 pm

Hi Wes-

Sorry for brushing off the cobwebs on this thread... still on modo 801, but current with Painter...

Just wondering if you've used the current version of modo (11.1) and does it fix the material ID problems (from OP above) when exporting FBXs for multi-material meshes to Painter.

I downloaded a trial version of modo two months ago, got tied up with other things, trial expired without me testing the FBX exporting, then found I couldn't download again due to  a one-download-per-point-update rule.   :-[

I was directed to your video "Baking MODO's Rounded Edge shader for Substance Painter" on PixelFondue, but that didn't really address the material ID quirk.

Thanks!
-Dave

HI Dave,

I haven't had any issues with MODO 11 and FBX export with Painter. The material IDs are working fine for me. Please let me know if you have any issues, but so far it's working for me. In the new course for Painter, I am using modo and it shows the material setup.

https://tutorials.allegorithmic.com/courses/06b7361bcd1b5895ecbcf7b31055a603/youtube-Qk_YRkDsJrQ

Cheers,
Wes

Hi Wes-

Excellent! Glad to see MODO got that sorted out.

I had watched that tutorial but I think I was so focused on "well I can't do that in 801" that it didn't dawn on me that "well it's WORKING in 11". D'oh!  ::)

Thanks... I appreciate your time.
-Dave

Hi Wes-

Excellent! Glad to see MODO got that sorted out.

I had watched that tutorial but I think I was so focused on "well I can't do that in 801" that it didn't dawn on me that "well it's WORKING in 11". D'oh!  ::)

Thanks... I appreciate your time.
-Dave

Sure thing Dave! Very happy to help : ) Let me know if you run into any more issues.

Cheers,
Wes