Author Topic: Materials to glossy in Toolbag 2  (Read 1851 times)

Hi,
I followed Fabians guide (https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=5451.0) and besides from Glossiness it works perfect, thanks Fabian!
But unfortunatly, all Surfaces are much to glossy in Toolbag 2
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!

Hey raschid_1,

your horizon smoothing parameter is set to .75, while the default value is at 0.5. Maybe this is causing the smooth look at high angles?

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hi Fabian,
yes, I tried 0.75 here. Indeed, if I had it at 0.5 (or even 0.0) the glossiness on the sides (which kind of looks like rim-light-shading) vanished a little, but the overall visual impact on surfaces the viewer is looking directly isn't really much influenced.
But, after your post, I had a look on the "Horizon Occlusion" - Parameter (Reflection>GGX). (You are writing to use the GGX-Model, which inded gives the best results for me too)
If i set this parameter to 0.0 too, then (in combination with a lower horizon smoothing value) it looks noticable less glossy (see Screenshot)!

It's still not perfect, some materials like the wooden particle-board-material on the ground for example, are still quite glossy. But maybe that's something one has to live with when converting from one engine to another. (Except you or someone else still has another better idea of course  ;) )

As a test I tried to lighten the roughness map in Photoshop, and partially (on some materials) it gives me really good results, but this probably isn't a recommended workflow ;-)

Thank you!

Hi Fabian,
yes, I tried 0.75 here. Indeed, if I had it at 0.5 (or even 0.0) the glossiness on the sides (which kind of looks like rim-light-shading) vanished a little, but the overall visual impact on surfaces the viewer is looking directly isn't really much influenced.
But, after your post, I had a look on the "Horizon Occlusion" - Parameter (Reflection>GGX). (You are writing to use the GGX-Model, which inded gives the best results for me too)
If i set this parameter to 0.0 too, then (in combination with a lower horizon smoothing value) it looks noticable less glossy (see Screenshot)!

It's still not perfect, some materials like the wooden particle-board-material on the ground for example, are still quite glossy. But maybe that's something one has to live with when converting from one engine to another. (Except you or someone else still has another better idea of course  ;) )

As a test I tried to lighten the roughness map in Photoshop, and partially (on some materials) it gives me really good results, but this probably isn't a recommended workflow ;-)

Thank you!

Hi,

For the glossiness texture, to you have the sRGB value unchecked? Glossiness map needs to be interpreted as linear.

Cheers,
wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Wes,
yes "sRGB Color Space" was unchecked. There's a lot more glossiness if it's checked on.
Thanks anyway!